Do we really need a power back?

I can’t count how many times I’ve seen Singletary drag 4-5 defenders on his back for an extra 4 or 5 yards. I think Singletary is a tougher runner than we think. I have no reservations whatsoever about plugging him in on the goal line. I’m not against drafting a power back but I don’t view Singletary as strictly a scat back or finesse back, he’s pretty strong. I think Singletary can get you the tough yards.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That's a good point.  I think we need a guy that can pickup a goalline yard with ease (think Henry).  But Allen can do that, so I'd be fine with another RB who complements Singletary.  Whether that's a speedier guy, or another shifty-singletary guy, or a brusier, I'd be fine.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I can’t count how many times I’ve seen Singletary drag 4-5 defenders on his back for an extra 4 or 5 yards. I think Singletary is a tougher runner than we think. I have no reservations whatsoever about plugging him in on the goal line. I’m not against drafting a power back but I don’t view Singletary as strictly a scat back or finesse back, he’s pretty strong. I think Singletary can get you the tough yards.

huh?

probably can keep your shoes on for that tally...

get the big back in here.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

No.  We need an explosive big play back imo

9 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

After watching Derrick Henry last year, I really want one of those :)

Yeah I want Henry too, but I don’t think the titans are letting him go

• Thank you (+1) 1

There are numerous RB's in this draft that we could snag anywhere from rounds 2-5 I believe. I still want AJ Dillon out of the bunch though and he will likely be able to be had on day 3 unless he runs an insane 40 time. He has pretty nimble feet for a big guy, can run people over, throw them off, bounce through pretty much any arm tackle, and has breakaway speed when he hits the open field. He would be a power back, but not just that per say. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No, we need a speed back.

Singletary can get the tough yards when he needs to; we need a guy that’s a threat to score whenever he touches the ball.

Paging Javon Leake...

Singletary is a speed back ...  he is small and fast.  We need a power back ... a downhill runner  ... bruiser.

Edited by DallasBillsFan1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Tough yes, but still smallish and prone to breakdown from overuse. Essential to have a RB 1A to share the burden. 

1 minute ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Singletary is a speed back ...  he is small and fast.  We need a power back ... a downhill runner  ... bruiser.

Shifty? Yes. Fast?  Not so much. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No, we need a speed back.

Singletary can get the tough yards when he needs to; we need a guy that’s a threat to score whenever he touches the ball.

Paging Javon Leake...

OR draft Salvon Ahmed. 

2 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Devin is not a speed back, he lacks breakaway speed otherwise he been drafted much higher. He's elusive because of quick cutting and not easy to tackle but I'd never call him a speed back. 

• Like (+1) 2

Think we just need another solid RB to spell Singletary. Would be nice if this RB had somewhat of a different running style than Devin, but main thing he needs to be consistently effective in gaining yards whatever that style is. Just don’t think Yeldon fits that description. This second RB also needs to be able to catch the ball out of the backfield, can’t be one dimensional.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

OR draft Salvon Ahmed. ??

Devin is not a speed back, he lacks breakaway speed otherwise he been drafted much higher. He's elusive because of quick cutting and not easy to tackle but I'd never call him a speed back. 

Singletary is unique. He’s a one stepper without a top gear. Just untraditional talent that can ball. I think he can be supplemented with a speed back or a power back. It’s really going to come down to what the bills think they want/need from the position. 

11 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Devin ran a 4.66; that’s the opposite of a speed back.

He averaged a solid 2.4 YPC post-contact, which ranked 13th among RBs.

He also averaged a broken tackle every 7.6 rushing attempts; good for 5th in the league.

He’s a banger with some elusiveness and great instincts; we need a home run threat to complement him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2