One "drought era" Bill on today's roster?

whatdrought

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well.... What about Aaron Schobel?  14 sacks like his best year would sure look good at DE right now.

He was mentioned a couple of times earlier on in this thread.  I wish Schobel could come back, it would solve a big hole in the d-line.

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Some good names in this thread.  

Another name that doesn't quite meet the criteria is Kyle Williams.  

I'd have to say that if the Bills had Fred Jackson in 2019, they might have won the division and they would have beaten Houston in the wildcard game.  Fred and Kyle were about the two best locker room guys the Bills ever had.  

Yep. Kyle is just outside the criteria but would be a definite one for his leadership. I think Gore was brought in to be, in a lot of ways, what Freddy was always naturally- the calming presence in the huddle. Freddy in his prime helping Josh would be really good.

The best offensive player from the drought years Jason Peters. The best fit that would help the current teams needs? I would say Lee Evans (although I think Moulds would be a better fit he was in the 98 and 99 playoffs.) On the defensive side of the ball I think the best drought of player was Pat Williams or Mario in 2014. I think the best fit for the drought Bills on the defensive side would be Gilmore opposite Tre. 

My first and obvious choice was Eric Moulds. The guy could have been a Hall of Fame WR on a better team. But I had no idea he went to so many playoff games. 3? Really? We as fans really need to reevaluate Wade Phillips as a Head coach. That late 90s Bills team felt like such a let down, but they were very competitive.

OK so WR is still a need and Stevie Johnson is worth looking at. Only Bill with 3x1000 yd seasons in a row. But that was with Fitzy. Johnson and Fitzy had a special chemistry. It was really fun to watch, but Steve never quite ran the routes he was supposed to, had a nasty wiggle people couldn't defend and Fitzy had the guts to throw anywhere. SJ would drive Daboll and JA nuts. Stevie Johnson and Brett Favre together? Magic. At least Stevie got Fitzpatrick.

Lee Evans. Hmm. Lee Evans. Two 1000 yd seasons on some very bad teams. Crazy fast, ok hands. 3 seasons over 50 catches. He is a deep threat, but I never considered him a complete WR.

Peerless Price. Looked great with Moulds across from him. Fell off a cliff without him. Eye troubles found afterward? Heck of an accomplishment then. I liked Peerless Price as a #2.

Not counting Eric Moulds, there is one complete WR that the drought era Buffalo Bills had that has speed, size, hands, can block like a mofo, and is a McDermott guy all the way. That WR is Robert Woods. If I can't add Eric Moulds, then I want Robert Woods, who btw could still contribute today. Back to back 1000 yd seasons. A process guy all the way. Helped Jared Goff look legitimate for heavens sakes. Got no where with the Bills and went back home to CA. We really overlook Robert Woods as fans, he is a terrific football player. At 27 he would be that gnarled vet WR that JA needs, but still has his best years ahead of him. 'Boo Boo foot, small people' Watkins stole some of his thunder, as did bad QB play but this guy does everything a WR is asked to do. Love me some Robert Woods in this offense.

On Defense there is no question. I'll take the 2nd best DE Buffalo has had since the merger in Aaron Schobel. This dude was the real deal and hung around in production with the likes of Jason Taylor for his career. Never got a scent of the playoffs, or the accolades with playing on higher profile teams, but was a beast. Drafted by the Bills, stayed with the Bills his whole career. Aaron Schobel in McDermott's defense is a 12-15 sack a year guy who could shut down an edge. He was a complete DE on some very suck Bills teams.

so there it is

Offense: Robert Woods

Defense: Aaron Schobel

Honorable Mention: Fred Jackson

Edited by RocCityRoller

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

The single greatest individual play made during the drought era was Terrence McGee's 300 yard KO return against New Orleans, which resulted in zero points. Perhaps a metaphor for those 17 years of futility.

That was a remarkable play. McGee was electric. Probably wouldn't be my #1, but he was fun to watch. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

That was a remarkable play. McGee was electric. Probably wouldn't be my #1, but he was fun to watch. 

The interesting thing about McGee as a return man was that he wasn't particularly fast. Just had such a natural feel for how the return was transpiring.

Gotta give a lot of credit to Bobby April who had an amazing return scheme at the time.

A little reminder about Jason Peters for those too young to remember.

In 2004 during the draft there was this huge TE out of Arkansas I wanted Buffalo to draft. The guy was a monster. I was on the old BB Message board and loved draft day there. There was a fellow BBMB poster named WYO who was a very smart Bills fan from Wyoming. She and I became friends during that draft. We both wanted Buffalo to draft this crazy sized athletic TE named Jason Peters from Arkansas. We figured at worst he could be an Eric Green type TE, or could be converted to OL since Jim (Mouse) McNally was the OL coach. Each round passed and Jason Peters went undrafted when all 32 teams passed on him.

After round 7 we both were amazed Jason Peters had gone undrafted. Shortly after we found out the Bills had won the undrafted tender for Jason Peters. We were both ecstatic!.

In 2004 Jason Peters signed with the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent TE. He was not an OT at that time. He was an overweight but athletic TE and a poor OL. Every team had passed on him through 7 rounds of the draft, and he went unclaimed until Buffalo saw his potential and brought him in. He was undistinguished throughout the pre-season. Buffalo even cut him after the 2004 pre-season. Once again all 32 teams in the NFL did not claim him after cuts. Buffalo resigned him and kept teaching him the NFL game as an OT by Mouse. Buffalo put him in on ST as a wedge blocker from 2004-2005.

By 2006 Mike Williams was considered a bust and Jason Peters, coached up by McNally, stepped in at RT. Peters excelled at RT. Ralph Wilson rewarded Jason Peters immediately with a 5 yr 15 million dollar contract before his UDFA contract was due. This was solid money for an OL in 2006. Not bad at all, from undrafted free agent on the PS, to being cut, to being resigned, to a starting RT on a new multi year, multi million dollar contract in 2 years. Even Ralph ponied up for the big man after only one year starting at RT.

Jason Peters should have been under contract by Buffalo until 2011. He was paid an OT starting salary in 2006 terms. In 2007 Peters was moved to LT. He excelled there as well garnering his first Pro Bowl Selection.

In 2008, less than 2 years after signing an extension, he held out. Peters wanted 8-12 million a year in line with 5 time Pro Bowler OT Walter Jones. (Peters was making 5 million a year) He held out in all of training camp, only returning in time for the season. He dogged it in 2008 allowing 11.5 sacks which was tied for worst among starting left tackles. Knowing another potential hold out was going to happen, and the horrible performance he put in in 2008 Buffalo traded the disappointing but capable LT for a 2nd (C, Eric Wood), 4th (TE, Shawn Nelson), and conditional pick 6th 2010 (LB, Danny Batten).

Yes, Jason Peters was a generational LT.

But:

He went undrafted as an oversized TE.

He was cut as a UDFA and no other NFL team signed him.

Buffalo brought him in again and he played ST for 2 years while Mouse coached him up. Look up Coach McNally btw. Mouse was no bum.

When big Mike Williams proved to be a bust at LT and RT, Jason Peters stepped in at an RT position and did well.

Ralph extended him to the tune of 5 million dollars a year in 2006 dollars after 1 year at RT. That was insane RT money in 2006.

He did well and took over a LT position. He excelled as LT for one year, and then held out. In year two as a LT he gave up 11.5 sacks while dogging it, but demanded top dollar. All of this less than 2 yrs after signing a 5 yr, 15 million dollar contract.

Buffalo saw his potential. McNally coached him up, he got an opportunity in Buffalo to go from undrafted TE to RT to LT. He even got paid early and high for his position, but was greedy. He treated the people that coached him up, paid him early, and gave him a chance to excel like garbage, and left as soon as he could.

F**k Jason Peters.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Haha (+1) 1