Everson Griffen voids remainder of contract with Vikings, will become FA

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Anyone in particular you want drafted?

Bradley Annei? Spelling possibly there,  is a guy who's caught my eye. 

But at  this point I haven't studied edge rushers or anyone on defense that much to give you a firm answer 

I know every skill position player on offence really well though lol

Edited by DJB
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I had the same thoughts.  He had a very serious incident that was really scary.  I think it’s kinda crazy how quick he came back.  But this is the nfl and they don’t give a crap about the players’ well being.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/scary-concerning-details-emerge-about-vikings-everson-griffens-mental-state-after-hotel-incident/amp/

honestly, as much as we need a pass rusher, I’d pass on him.  He’s about to be 33, played across a great pass rusher, and I don’t want him to have the Bills on his resume if something bad happens in the future.  I think we could do better and cheaper. 

The NFL MADE him play after that?

Do you ever post without a preconceived agenda?

Edited by BringBackOrton

23 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Would love to add him, only concern is that I know he’s had some off field issues - not character concerns I don’t think, mental health stuff maybe? I’m not sure the context, but would want to make sure everything is good there.

Didn't read the entire thread, apologize if this has already been posted

https://www.gq.com/story/everson-griffen-mental-health

18 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Didn't read the entire thread, apologize if this has already been posted

https://www.gq.com/story/everson-griffen-mental-health

Didn't see it.  After that article was written, Griffen came back to the team.

It's always hard to know what's going on.  Guys searching for any edge use various supplements, some of which may have unpredictable and unstudied effects.  Guys self-medicate for physical and mental pain.  Football players, like anyone else in the population, can have underlying mental health issues that emerge in their late 20s/early 30s when a very good friend of mine was diagnosed bipolar.

But fundamentally, that article does a great job of breaking down why it seems to me Griffen and his family would be well served for him to walk away.  Either he has an underlying mental health issue, that will NOT be helped by the physical contact and multiple injuries/chronic pain of another NFL season....or he has a mental health issue which the physical contact and pain of an NFL season are causing or contributing to, and he should stop piling on.

Just my opinion, but I think if we ever start systematically studying the effects of contact sports on brain injury, it's going to be found that there's a complex interaction between a bunch of things.  I believe that the blows of football cause injury to the brain.  If every football players brain was looked at, not just those that have shown symptoms, it might be found that some show damage but have far fewer symptoms.  It may well be that a whole bunch of factors mitigate the damage or cause it to be expressed to different levels in different people - some not at all or at a nuisance "where did I put my keys/I can't nail that sudoku puzzle as quickly as I did 3 years ago" level, some at a level of fundamental debilitation. 

This is not an exact analogy, but this variability is one of the things that made tuberculosis, the Great White Plague, so difficult to track down and treat.  No one today doubts that tuberculosis is a disease caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis, but actually most infections are latent and asymptomatic.  About 10% progress to active disease, and ~half those with active disease will see it progress and die without treatment.  Co-infection with certain other diseases, chronic lung disease, smoking, medications such as corticosteroids, malnutrition, and genetics all play a role in how probable it is that latent infections will progress to active disease. 

I suspect that if there were a way to totally protect privacy and have objective parties with no financial interest collect data, a set of risk factors and mitigating factors could be identified.  But the employers don't want to open themselves to risks for disability payments and lawsuits; the players may not want to be totally open about what they're doing themselves or risk info getting out which could devalue them.  So at present, there's no collective will to make it happen.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, NFLBighits said:

That's one way to get away from your wife and out of the house. Lol Honey I'll be back in a little while gotta go fight demons!?

I normally don't joke about mental issues, but that was funny. Good one!:beer: