Everson Griffen voids remainder of contract with Vikings, will become FA

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Would love to add him, only concern is that I know he’s had some off field issues - not character concerns I don’t think, mental health stuff maybe? I’m not sure the context, but would want to make sure everything is good there.

I had the same thoughts.  He had a very serious incident that was really scary.  I think it’s kinda crazy how quick he came back.  But this is the nfl and they don’t give a crap about the players’ well being.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/scary-concerning-details-emerge-about-vikings-everson-griffens-mental-state-after-hotel-incident/amp/

honestly, as much as we need a pass rusher, I’d pass on him.  He’s about to be 33, played across a great pass rusher, and I don’t want him to have the Bills on his resume if something bad happens in the future.  I think we could do better and cheaper. 

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So your take is his market value at 32 is above his current Minn. contract?

Not only that, but he has fallen off a bit last year or two?

He has 8 or more sacks in each  5 of the last 6 seasons. Missed 6 games in 2018 with mental illness recovery, no games missed due to physical injury

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So your take is his market value at 32 is above his current Minn. contract?

Someone will give him $15,000,000 on a one year deal at least is my thought on the situation, yes. He's still a good player and edge rushers tend to get a bit of a markup. It's not like he is coming off of a major injury or anything like that either. We were just having a discussion the other day about sacks not telling the whole story. Griffin had 8 sacks last year in 15 games, but also had 13 hurries and 13 QB knockdowns. They give him credit for 35 pressures in total. He's still an effective player and someone will pay him more than he was about to get in Minnesota I believe. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/defense_advanced.htm

Edited by H2o

59 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I had the same thoughts.  He had a very serious incident that was really scary.  I think it’s kinda crazy how quick he came back.  But this is the nfl and they don’t give a crap about the players’ well being.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/scary-concerning-details-emerge-about-vikings-everson-griffens-mental-state-after-hotel-incident/amp/

honestly, as much as we need a pass rusher, I’d pass on him.  He’s about to be 33, played across a great pass rusher, and I don’t want him to have the Bills on his resume if something bad happens in the future.  I think we could do better and cheaper. 

OMG no.  No, no, NO.  Prayers for his wife and family and for Griffin himself to continue to have mental and physical health.  If you read it carefully, the hotel incident was the worst and the culmination, but there is off-kilter stuff that his wife is quoted as almost routine with:

The Star-Tribune reports that Griffen's wife said her husband "awoke in the middle of the night on Sept. 16 and left the home" and that Griffen does that "at times when he is fighting 'demons' in his head." Griffen came back home on Wednesday and then left until Saturday.

The only reason to have older players who can play on the team vs all young guys who can play is to help mentor and guide the younger men in their career and personal lives.   I wish this guy the best, but he should probably stop playing and start working on putting himself right.  He is not someone the team can rely upon to be a consistent mentor and example.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OMG no.  No, no, NO.  Prayers for his wife and family and for Griffin himself to continue to have mental and physical health.  If you read it carefully, the hotel incident was the worst and the culmination, but there is off-kilter stuff that his wife is quoted as almost routine with:

The Star-Tribune reports that Griffen's wife said her husband "awoke in the middle of the night on Sept. 16 and left the home" and that Griffen does that "at times when he is fighting 'demons' in his head." Griffen came back home on Wednesday and then left until Saturday.

The only reason to have older players who can play on the team vs all young guys who can play is to help mentor and guide the younger men in their career and personal lives.   I wish this guy the best, but he should probably stop playing and start working on putting himself right.  He is not someone the team can rely upon to be a consistent mentor and example.

That's one way to get away from your wife and out of the house. Lol Honey I'll be back in a little while gotta go fight demons!?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t necessarily view it that way. Not every vet has to be a mentor just as not every young player needs guidance in their career and personal life. He could simply be a player who they feel could be productive, in place of say, Trent Murphy 

38 minutes ago, Nester said:

I like him as a player but is not a long term solution at his age.

he also is going to want a dump truck full of money

I don’t think anyone would look at him as that. He can be 1/11. They can still add young players. They need to upgrade at pass rusher, and this is one option to do so in addition to others they can pursue, draft and otherwise. As far as $ - he will get what he’s worth and Beane will put a value on him and if it matches it matches. If not he will go elsewhere.

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Would love to add him, only concern is that I know he’s had some off field issues - not character concerns I don’t think, mental health stuff maybe? I’m not sure the context, but would want to make sure everything is good there.

He had a bizzarre issue last year I think the week of our epic game @ Minny 

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t necessarily view it that way. Not every vet has to be a mentor just as not every young player needs guidance in their career and personal life. He could simply be a player who they feel could be productive, in place of say, Trent Murphy

Fair.  But would you agree in return, the older vets who are highly paid on the roster do, at least, need to be counted upon to "lead by example" in their preparation and practice as well as on Sunday?

I kinda think a guy whose wife reports he gets up in the middle of night and goes off to fight "demons in his head"  like it's not uncommon, stands a high probability to be Not That Guy.

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair.  But would you agree in return, the older vets who are highly paid on the roster do, at least, need to be counted upon to "lead by example" in their preparation and practice as well as on Sunday?

I kinda think a guy whose wife reports he gets up in the middle of night and goes off to fight "demons in his head"  like it's not uncommon, stands a high probability to be Not That Guy.

I do think they should produce and prepare according to what is required I just don’t think they all need to be Kyle Williams. I’m not sure of the current state of his mental issues or what type of treatment he has, but I’m sure teams will get any info they can from the agent , and will have interest in him according to where the risk lies. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DJB said:

Age is a factor for me here. Yes hes been productive but we need an elite young DE to grow with the team. 

Well, just like with Knox - I think we can draft someone with the hope that they develop into a star, but in the meantime, we need a fall back plan to ensure production.  Not lobbying for Griffen here though.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

He had a bizzarre issue last year I think the week of our epic game @ Minny 

C.Biscuit linked it up thread.