New CBA likely to include 17th game and expanded playoff format...does this result in a lockout?

Big Turk

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

0% chance of a lock out. and just for the record, the owners lock out, the players strike.

?

nah.

its easily the weakest players union in major pro sports, they are always getting trucked at negotiations

the nature of the game is a weekly paycheck, for practically every player, and you can get cut for any reason at any time

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

its easily the weakest players union in major pro sports, they are always getting trucked at negotiations

the nature of the game is a weekly paycheck, for practically every player, and you can get cut for any reason at any time

nah. the other unions are just unusually strong. remember, we are talking about grown men playing kids games. it is you and i that are getting screwed in the end. $12 for a ***** can of beer, give me a break.

4 hours ago, hjnick said:

I think 2 byes is a good thing if going to 17 games, BUT I would make 1 bye be in the middle of the season where every player gets off. Sort of like a football midseason bye week where there could be a 'All star game' type of feel and have skills competitions.  Then an additional floating bye throughout the season.  That actually stretches out the regular season to 19 weeks.  

That won't happen as tv networks will want to air games all 19 weeks.  The popularity of fantasy football and gambling should keep ratings up.  What they should do is give the two TNF teams a bye the weekend before.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Really don't want expanded playoffs. Diluting the quality of the playoffs is not the answer.

Except crappy teams making it happens more often if they expand it.

An extra week of crappy playoff teams is still better to me than an extra week of all teams. 

I still can’t figure out why they can’t find other ways to get more tv money out of the 256 games they already play. Just addBig a week seems like the least imaginative thing a 20 billion dollar industry could do. 

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

An extra week of crappy playoff teams is still better to me than an extra week of all teams. 

I still can’t figure out why they can’t find other ways to get more tv money out of the 256 games they already play. Just addBig a week seems like the least imaginative thing a 20 billion dollar industry could do. 

I personally prefer the playoffs to remain difficult to get into and I like the fact that good teams sometimes don't make it.

If I am the NFLPA I answer back with: 

1. Larger % of TV money.

2. Stop testing for pot.

3. An extra bye. 

4. Less contact in camp, pre season, season etc. 

If I am the owners, I concede all of those things, but mandate more time in the facility in the offseason. Product will be better, so the fans are happy. NFL makes more money. Players make more money. We are all good. 

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

I personally prefer the playoffs to remain difficult to get into and I like the fact that good teams sometimes don't make it.

not me. I’d rather more meaningful tournament games and less meaningless reg season games. 2 of the 16 week 17 game mattered for anything at all. Boring. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Part of his tweet.  Seems the owners have voted.  Up to the NFLPA now.

Haha, well that's the easy part. Hard part is getting the player's association on board.

• Like (+1) 1

Lock out no, some wheeling and dealing by NFLPA yes.

Likely will be 17 games, 7 playoff teams per conference, 2 bye weeks, down to 2-3 preseason games, and importantly an expanded game day roster. NFL gets 17 games and 7 playoff teams per conference. NFLPA gets 2 bye weeks, one or two less preseason games and increased union membership. That seems a win-win.

If the 17th game is split fairly this means a London/Toronto/Mexico City game for each team to try to expand the sport. England, Canada and Mexico are the obvious tries to expand. Now that the UK is not beholden to the EU, even more so as a business. (does not have to comply with EU regulations on sport). East Coast teams play in London or Montreal, Midwest teams play in Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton (CFL stadiums), west coast plays in Mexico City or Vancouver. CFL stadiums make the most sense for an immediate major expansion. Maybe this is a move to investing in the CFL, Arena Football League or XFL? The NFL doesn't yet have a farm system.

A 9-8 home and away schedule is unfair, and the NFL wants to expand like the NBA. Each team should have to play the 17th game as an away game IMO. In a way this helps Buffalo if Toronto or even Montreal are designated foreign cities.

I can see Buffalo being a regular participant in Toronto, Montreal or London games. I would gladly take one of those trips a year.

If I were the NFLPA I would want no divisional games in a foreign market, no divisional games before a foreign trip, and one of my bye weeks immediately after a foreign trip. Keep the rivalries alive stateside. Interconference games should be the foreign game, IMO. Buffalo vs Dallas in London or Toronto would have been amazing.

Changes will happen to our NFL. I am not a fan, but since this seems a lock, then manage it properly.

Sadly I don't see this common sense approach working out, but I hope for the best. The game continues to walk away from me.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Greg S said:

I am not so sure I want expanded playoffs. I don't want the NFL to become like the NHL/NBA with how many teams make the playoffs. What are we going to have a 6-10 team making the playoffs. I mean 6-11 if they have a 17 game season. Keep it at 16 games and don't add more playoff teams. JMHO!!!

How the hell are 6 win teams going make the playoffs?  The only way to make the playoffs with a losing record is to win your division.  The 7th playoff team is still going to likely be 9+ wins, like when the Pats missed the playoffs with double digit wins when Brady went down.

6 hours ago, Mango said:

If I am the NFLPA I answer back with: 

1. Larger % of TV money.

2. Stop testing for pot.

3. An extra bye. 

4. Less contact in camp, pre season, season etc. 

If I am the owners, I concede all of those things, but mandate more time in the facility in the offseason. Product will be better, so the fans are happy. NFL makes more money. Players make more money. We are all good. 

Fixed it:

1. Larger % of TV money

2. Medical expenses covered for life

3. Extra bye (no preseason games)

4. No contact in camp (camp Marv style)