New CBA likely to include 17th game and expanded playoff format...does this result in a lockout?

Big Turk

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I know the players are pretty adamant they will not accept a 17th game but they can always be bought with money...but they will want a lot for this and am unsure if the owners will be willing to give it...I could see both sides really digging in their feet here and ending up with a prolonged lockout over the issue.

Eventually I see the players caving but not before they get a lot more money and better protections.

Anyone else nervous about a potential lockout and how likely as a percentage do you see this as a possibility? I'm going to say 60%.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-proposed-playoff-expansion-could-be-tipping-point-in-greed-015752890.html

I’m fully expecting a lockout. Too many issues here that won’t be resolved in a timely manner

5 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

Not really. Sounds like the 17th game has already been agreed to in principle as long as the Owners go along with a reduction preseason games and full contact practices during both training camp and regular season. Really doesn’t appear like there is the kind of opposition that would result in a strike or lockout. The players will probably push the owners for a couple last minute concessions that may or may not be agreed too, but that is probably it.

Really think both sides want to get this new CBA done ASAP. Nobody is interested in killing the golden goose.

You're exactly right.  There is too much money at stake for the players and career time for them is a limited resource.  The 17th game and extra playoff games boost league revenue and therefore the salary cap.  The NFLPA may try to push an increase in roster size to increase the number of dues paying members (their revenue).

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I know the players are pretty adamant they will not accept a 17th game but they can always be bought with money...but they will want a lot for this and am unsure if the owners will be willing to give it...I could see both sides really digging in their feet here and ending up with a prolonged lockout over the issue.

Eventually I see the players caving but not before they get a lot more money and better protections.

Anyone else nervous about a potential lockout and how likely as a percentage do you see this as a possibility? I'm going to say 60%.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-proposed-playoff-expansion-could-be-tipping-point-in-greed-015752890.html

Articles with "could" in title are pure speculation and not worth the electrons printed on.

A plane "could" fall out of the sky requiring a team to have an emergency draft of players from other teams but not likely to happen.

It was nearly six years ago when Mark Cuban, billionaire owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks, decided to weigh in on the NFL’s decision to cash another television check by playing a game each Thursday night.

“I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion,” Cuban said back in 2014. “I’m just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they’re getting slaughtered. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Four more years to slaughter.  Do you think his opinion is connected to fact that Thursday night football hurt basketball ratings?

Sounds like the extra playoff game has been agreed to, so no need to talk about that.

I think it's kinda easy for the league to sell the 17th game to the players.  Just show them projected salary caps with 16 games versus 17 games throughout the length of the contract.  Obviously, the 17 game season will have a higher cap number and would probably expand at a higher rate also.  So in the last years of the deal, it should be a no-brainer for the players to take it... AND if they don't, then they are just losing out on potential bigger paydays.

Like someone else said, expansion of roster a couple of spots is probably a good thing.

I think 2 byes is a good thing if going to 17 games, BUT I would make 1 bye be in the middle of the season where every player gets off. Sort of like a football midseason bye week where there could be a 'All star game' type of feel and have skills competitions.  Then an additional floating bye throughout the season.  That actually stretches out the regular season to 19 weeks.  

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I think the problem the players are going to have is do all the contracts automatically get an additional 1/16th of a game check added onto their current contracts if they play a 17th game since they get paid by the game, and how does this extra game factor into future contract demands?  Do they automatically seek to add an additional 1/16th to what they would normally be asking for?

Not only that buy players will argue with some validity that they took bonuses (which they are reluctant to give back when they are cut for violating terms) in stead of game checks so the bonuses which are not dependent upon actions (i.e showing up in camp) also should be raised 1/16 percent.  Of course teams will argue that players with incentive clauses like so many TDs, some many yards run, so many sacks are more likely to reach them so it balances out.

This will be a real opportunity for NFLPA to try to get changes made and it is likely from previous pattern for them to try to get concessions like commissioner reviews of fines thrown out and all but an arbitrator, "Don't talk, don't test" policy on MJ use, less fines/games suspended for players who intentional hurt other players and less practice times.  Oh joy.  NFLPA should be glad they went for 17 not 18 since this gives them another chance at more concessions next negotiation.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Not only that buy players will argue with some validity that they took bonuses (which they are reluctant to give back when they are cut for violating terms) in stead of game checks so the bonuses which are not dependent upon actions (i.e showing up in camp) also should be raised 1/16 percent.  Of course teams will argue that players with incentive clauses like so many TDs, some many yards run, so many sacks are more likely to reach them so it balances out.

This will be a real opportunity for NFLPA to try to get changes made and it is likely from previous pattern for them to try to get concessions like commissioner reviews of fines thrown out and all but an arbitrator, "Don't talk, don't test" policy on MJ use, less fines/games suspended for players who intentional hurt other players and less practice times.  Oh joy.  NFLPA should be glad they went for 17 not 18 since this gives them another chance at more concessions next negotiation.

All good points to a good question by @matter2003.

I'm sure the lawyers from both sides are making money going over every detail that these proposed changes unearth.

Personally I'm not a fan of a lot of these changes but I don't think there is anything that both sides can't work out.

They all would be fools to strike or have a lock out.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I think the problem the players are going to have is do all the contracts automatically get an additional 1/16th of a game check added onto their current contracts if they play a 17th game since they get paid by the game, and how does this extra game factor into future contract demands?  Do they automatically seek to add an additional 1/16th to what they would normally be asking for?

Not sure about adding 1/16 to their current contracts, but it seems like it would solve that issue.Also the player's cut in the new CBA would increase from 47% to 48.5% plus extra revenue for the 17th game and even more money for the extra playoff game in each conference. More money has a way of fixing a lot of problems.

Would rather keep the 16 game season and maybe expand the playoffs to 2 more teams.. Hate to see good teams miss out.. I think 10 wins should get you into the playoffs... yea some bad teams will still make it but I still feel it's worse when good teams have to stay home..

I don't think Players have that much of a problem with a 17 game schedule as long as they can get a reduction in preseason games and a second bye week duri9ng the season.  The season may need to start at the end of August to get it all in.

Players would be getting one less preseason game, one more regular season game, 2 more teams into the playoffs, a relaxation of the MJ rules and more player friendly suspension schedules and process.

Oh yeah...and a bump up from 47 to 48.5% of annual total revenue.  That's an extra 2.5 billion for the extra game.

Or they can ignore all that to simply stay at status quo and start losing game checks.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm not sure about a lockout, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we saw another strike at the expiration of the CBA, as the players fight for fully guaranteed Ks.

not a hope of guarantees, except for the elite player

solely at the whim of the owners to hand it out to the elite player

0% chance of a lock out. and just for the record, the owners lock out, the players strike.

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the players have been totally steamrolled every CBA of their existence, why would this be different?

?

nah.

Edited by Foxx