Jordan Reed- 6 months in concussion protocol

Dablitzkrieg

36 minutes ago, Simon said:

If this kid ever tries to step on ballfield again I hope one of his teammates tackles him.

Or takes him gently by the hand and leads him to a soft and comfy sofa

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

According to this article, on CBSsports.com, he has cleared concussion protocol and wishes to play again.

I hope to hell every team in the league puts their hands in their pockets and says “no”.  Signing a guy who spent 6 months in concussion protocol to give him the chance to get another .....that, IMO, would be irresponsible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Needle said:

Shouldn't the NFL step in and protect this man? When does a players history supercede the testing requirements? 

I think that’s an excellent question.  There have been players that team physicians will no longer clear - Aaron Williams, Eric Wood, due to neck injuries.

A concussion can’t be detected on an MRI like a spinal disk injury, but at some point, when “enough” of them stack up and recovery is as prolonged as 6 months, it does seem as though the physicians should stop clearing the player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is crazy.  A year ago, my oldest son came to me in college and he had a full ride in lax. He had his fourth concussion and asked me what I think he should do.  I asked him what does he think he should do.  He said, he thinks it might be a good decision to hang it up.  I told him he knew the answer all along, just wanted confirmation.  

I thought this was Germaine to the topic.  No amount of money is worth you’re health.  I’m also shocked a team would continue letting him play with the buzz on CTE. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

Seems like overwhelming concern here.   But it’s important to understand there’s different degrees of concussions, so without knowing the severity or the ongoing symptoms he had for 6 months, there’s no telling.  For example, migraines, photosensitivity, tinnitus are all examples of post-concussion symptoms that if a player reports, will keep them from getting cleared.  I think his being honest with the medical staff about some of the lingering things shows he has enough good sense and concern for himself to make a sound decision.   Also and this is really important, today’s neurological presence and advancements in the NFL will not permit players to easily be activated from protocol.  There’s an impartiality to the process that even Dan Snyder can’t manipulate.  It’s easy to see 7 concussions and react, but there’s just so much that’s weighed when reviewing the degree and severity of an injury that doesn’t show up on scans.  The real measure of concern will be known once we see who takes a flier.   The Bills have already been mentioned as a possibility, given the Olsen attempt.   You’ll know teams share the same concerns, if he’s not signed or at least, worked out.   But I wouldn’t vilify any him or  any team signing him, if their medical staff clears him.

also....Aside from Cincy and NYJ, the Redskins have one of the more questionable medical teams in the business and have come under fire recently.  If he had been dishonest and prematurely passed, all that is “3rd party”, would be gone and he’d be in the team’s hands.  Speaking with folks in that area, JR did everything the right way at the behest of the 3rd party and not the team’s medical staff. I’m hopeful more will come to light about this once he moves on, too.  The Redskins are notorious for rushing players back and you’re starting to see players coming forward.  That’s exactly why INC’s have been assigned.  The team physician I believe cleared him, but the dedicated INC did not, which landed him on IR.  If he passes the cognitive assessments (which he has fully) and a team signs him, more power to him.  

Edited by DFT

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that’s an excellent question.  There have been players that team physicians will no longer clear - Aaron Williams, Eric Wood, due to neck injuries.

A concussion can’t be detected on an MRI like a spinal disk injury, but at some point, when “enough” of them stack up and recovery is as prolonged as 6 months, it does seem as though the physicians should stop clearing the player.

100% agreed.

10 hours ago, Needle said:

Shouldn't the NFL step in and protect this man? When does a players history supercede the testing requirements? 

That's not the NFL's responsibility.   It's the sole responsibility of the player to assess the risk/benefit of playing.  The team can just cut him because they think he's done, as they would in non-injury cuts.

Let the very-concerned-about-players'-health NFLPA counsel him...

2 hours ago, DFT said:

Seems like overwhelming concern here.   But it’s important to understand there’s different degrees of concussions, so without knowing the severity or the ongoing symptoms he had for 6 months, there’s no telling.  For example, migraines, photosensitivity, tinnitus are all examples of post-concussion symptoms that if a player reports, will keep them from getting cleared.  I think his being honest with the medical staff about some of the lingering things shows he has enough good sense and concern for himself to make a sound decision.   Also and this is really important, today’s neurological presence and advancements in the NFL will not permit players to easily be activated from protocol.  There’s an impartiality to the process that even Dan Snyder can’t manipulate.  It’s easy to see 7 concussions and react, but there’s just so much that’s weighed when reviewing the degree and severity of an injury that doesn’t show up on scans.  The real measure of concern will be known once we see who takes a flier.   The Bills have already been mentioned as a possibility, given the Olsen attempt.   You’ll know teams share the same concerns, if he’s not signed or at least, worked out.   But I wouldn’t vilify any him or  any team signing him, if their medical staff clears him.

also....Aside from Cincy and NYJ, the Redskins have one of the more questionable medical teams in the business and have come under fire recently.  If he had been dishonest and prematurely passed, all that is “3rd party”, would be gone and he’d be in the team’s hands.  Speaking with folks in that area, JR did everything the right way at the behest of the 3rd party and not the team’s medical staff. I’m hopeful more will come to light about this once he moves on, too.  The Redskins are notorious for rushing players back and you’re starting to see players coming forward.  That’s exactly why INC’s have been assigned.  The team physician I believe cleared him, but the dedicated INC did not, which landed him on IR.  If he passes the cognitive assessments (which he has fully) and a team signs him, more power to him.  

All good points well put.  As a counterpoint, and it's a big one - the progression of severity of successive concussions is unpredictable, as I understand it.  But prolonged symptoms of any sort are, I believe, regarded as a "red flag" that subsequent concussions may involve even more prolonged recovery or permanent damage.

Kevin Kolb has been interviewed saying he suffers from severe tinnitus permanently.  Permanent migraines could also be pretty debilitating.

I believe that the guy has been legit cleared from protocol, but I think there are remaining concerns about him playing.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's not the NFL's responsibility.   It's the sole responsibility of the player to assess the risk/benefit of playing.  The team can just cut him because they think he's done, as they would in non-injury cuts.

Let the very-concerned-about-players'-health NFLPA counsel him...

But see above, WEO ....."it's the sole responsibility" is not quite true.  For example, Aaron Williams wanted to play for the Saints, but their team physician refused to clear him due to his neck injuries (I think we discussed this).  Eric Wood is another example: it wasn't "up to" him, the Bills team physician said "Nope! No more!" 

I believe there are other cases - for example, it's been discussed locally that Jay Bouwmeester may wish to return to NHL hockey after collapsing and being rushed off to have an ICD placed, but I think the Blues team physicians would say "mmmmmmm NO" if he tries.

Clearly where physically documentable injury is the case, team physicians can and do say "Nope, no longer clearable".  It's not always left to the player's sole responsibility.

The question is: wouldn't or shouldn't repeated concussion with prolonged recovery, pose a similar risk where the team physician should say "Nope, no longer clearable"? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1