QB Carrousel for the Fins, Is Tag a Fitz in Miami ? Is there a Bad Moon Risen in Rosen's Future ?

T master

They keep Fitz - he starts week 1.

The draft Tua - he starts by week 4.

They trade Rosen - it is day 3 pick territory for me.

The good news for Rosen I think is that he is now past the point of being considered a viable starting prospect so it is unlikely the bad teams looking for a placeholder QB are interested this time. In fact where his market is now is probably as a low cost, high ceiling reclamation project for a team that has an older, expensive, established vet QB and is looking for a backup. Teams that make sense from my perspective: Patriots (if they bring Brady back), Saints (replacement for Teddy), Vikings (Sean Mannion was their backup last year and is not good and now a FA), Philly (McCown is 107 years old).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

I think the Dolphins were trying to tank without being too obvious.  Benching Rosen for Fitzpatrick seemed like a safe short-term plan, but then Fitz started playing well.  At that point, having traded away most of their good players & turned Kalen Ballage into their 3-down back (?!?), the coaches may have feared a locker room revolt had they gone back to Rosen.  Players generally don't buy into tanking, and if they did, you wouldn't want them on your team.  Still, the fact that the 'phins pulled the plug on Rosen so quickly doesn't bode well for his future, at least in Miami's opinion. They'd either seen enough to know there wasn't a future there & didn't want his trade value further diminished by allowing the NFL to see more of him, or the Dolphins don't know what they're doing.  

Rosen has every excuse in the book not to have found success to this point, as it's hard to think of another 1st round QB whose first 2 years were played under such adverse circumstances.  I won't be shocked if someone takes that into heavy consideration & is willing to take another shot on him.  

I think that Rosen is done in the NFL.  I think he doesn't have the presence on the field (Brian Flores called it 'body language') needed to a starting QB in the NFL. I think he's unlikely to get another serious shot at a starting job.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

I think that Rosen is done in the NFL.  I think he doesn't have the presence on the field (Brian Flores called it 'body language') needed to a starting QB in the NFL. I think he's unlikely to get another serious shot at a starting job.

You may be right, but Darnold came back after “seeing ghosts” and did well enough to deserve another chance. If Rosen can be put in a different situation (such as a backup job somewhere else) he might do ok.  If he can light it up in preseason he could get some confidence back.  If, if, if...

10 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The thing about the “ Wrong Josh” is he seems like a weeney....yet I still feel bad for the kid.

He doesn’t seems like Clausen, it seems like he’s got to At Least be back up material. I agree that he will get at least one more shot but if he ends up in another crappy situation I guess it must be karma.

I know he rubs a lot of fans the wrong way, but IMO the things he's done have been wildly overblown.  Who cares if he had an inflatable hot tub in his room?  Here's a list of his transgressions:  https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/25/17249082/josh-rosen-draft-ucla-qb-comments

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I seriously doubt anyone is trading for Rosen, but you might be right Alf.  As you stated, he is going to be at best a career back up.

I think you chuck a 5th or 6th or 7th round pick at him. You still have more chance getting good play out of Rosen as a reclamation project than you do a guy who you take on day 3 of this draft.

But he isn't being traded for to be a starter. It is a team looking for a cheap, backup.

10 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Good post.  Rosen's best outcome is that some team misses out on the QB game of musical chairs and he becomes the consolation prize for a desperate team.  He might also get a chance if a team loses a QB in preseason.  As unlikely as any of this may be, such is the life of Josh Rosen.  Personally, I wasn't high on him coming out of college and I'm not shocked by any of this.

He could make sense for the Chargers or Colts under the circumstances you described.  Gruden has never met a QB he didn't like, and Reid & Belichick both have a history of developing backup QBs and trading them for profit.

8 hours ago, Ennjay said:

Putting aside I don't give a rat's crap about Miami's QB situation so long as it stays bad:

Joey Harrington comes to mind.  Not Jimmy Clausen because a lot (meaning a lot) of people thought he was a marginal talent to begin with and the Carolina situation wasn't as bad as AZ and Miami.  (Cue the Notre Dame defenders; ND hasn't produced a decent NFL QB since ... Steve Beuerlein?)

Harrington played behind a crap O-line, but his situation was similar to that of many QBs who get taken early in the draft by teams who stink.  I was referring to being drafted by a team with a 1 and done HC, then traded to an (arguably) even worse team after his rookie year.  The worst most QBs ever have to deal with in year 2 is a new OC.  Of course, back in the days of Harrington, rookie QB salaries were too high for a trade like this to even be considered.  

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Could be.  At the very least, his NFL readiness was severely overestimated.

On Rosen front, his circumstances conspired against him from the get go, the guy may as well retire, it will be a miracle if he becomes a starter on any team, except through injury, and I don’t believe he sees himself as  career #2. With the plethora of available QBs I don’t see him as a first choice for any team, in short, the guy is screwed..jmo. 

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The best thing that can happen to Rosen is for the Packers to give up a 7th round pick or something for him.  Rodgers and him seemed close before the draft so Rodgers may not actually be a dick and help him develop until he retires.  It's a low risk potential high reward move for the Packers.

I dunno about the "seemed close" bit. 

Rodgers and Rosen share an agent so Rodgers may have agreed to be video'd training with Rosen as a kind of luster/PR move.  If Rosen is drafted high, the agent makes more $$ and I'm sure he'd give Rodgers some kind of cookie.

I don't think they play golf together by choice like Allen and Fitzy have.

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

On Rosen front, his circumstances conspired against him from the get go, the guy may as well retire, it will be a miracle if he becomes a starter on any team, except through injury, and I don’t believe he sees himself as  career #2. With the plethora of available QBs I don’t see him as a first choice for any team, in short, the guy is screwed..jmo. 

He's not gonna give up. If nothing else, he has Fitzy as an example of how a guy can go from third string draftee to starter on multiple teams.

Of course, Rosen may have a better arm and better throwing ability, but I don't think anyone has ever said or will ever say of him "He's one of the toughest guys in the NFL to compete against - because he's so LIKEABLE" as Jordan Palmer said of Fitz.

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Is tag a Fitz"?

T Master's threads are often like a running car that somehow slips into gear with no one in it, and then starts heading.....somewhere.

For my next post i'm working on i'm doing a video in sign language & it will be about helmet warmers in a dome stadium ? just to really PO all of you all ? I can only imagine the response to that one  ? !!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1