New Playoff Structure

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I hate it. I knew big changes were coming but I like the current structure just fine. Getting into the playoffs should mean something more than being in the top half of the league. One extra regular season game is one extra chance for injuries. Not a fan of this at all.

Your argument would be more effective if you were not exaggerating. 

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Its not just the two playoff games. It’s also the 17 (and eventually 18) game season. It’s the fact that the NFL is so blinded by greed that they don’t seem to care that the majority of fans don’t even WANT these changes. It’s the constant lip service to “player safety” while showing that they don’t actually give a damn about the players.

Its about the NFL constantly making changes to a product that is ALREADY wildly popular and doesn’t need them — diluting the product and endangering the players — just to make an extra buck.

Majority?  This argument sounds like "Moral Majority" which was neither moral nor the majority. 

NLFPA, players' representatives, is the one who gives lip service to "player safety" making it difficult to practice proper tackling, objecting when NFL mandated equipment, protecting aggressive players who made cheap shots on opposing players to take them out of game.

4 hours ago, folz said:

Just out of curiosity, I looked at how many teams with an 8-8 record or worse would have made the playoffs over the last 10 years if there had already been a 7th playoff spot in each conference:

2019 Pitt at 8-8

2018 Vikes at 8-8

2015 Falcons at 8-8

2014 Panthers at 7-8-1

2013 GB at 8-7-1

and either Jets, Phins, Pitt or Balt (depending on tie breaker) at 8-8

2012 Pitt at 8-8

2011 Denver at 8-8

and either Ari, Chi, Dal, or Phi (depending on tie breaker) at 8-8

So, 9 teams with records of 8-8 or worse would have made the playoffs over the last ten-year span if there had been a 7th playoff team in each conference.

(Granted, 3 of those teams made it anyways, without the extra spot---due to a bad division, so 6 more teams over a ten-year span would have made it breaking even.)

The other thing to note is that most years, 9-7 will get you into the playoffs now.

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

36s

NFL playoff structure is about to be changed. Under the current CBA proposal, seven teams from each conference will make the playoffs, with only bye per conference, sources tell ESPN. It would go into effect this upcoming season. More coming on http://ESPN.com.

I'd rather go this route than a 17th game. Makes games a lot more important late in the season especially to get that 1st seed

Mike, it’s most likely going to be both.  There will be a push for the 17th game and the extra wildcard per conference.   The league will acquiesce on smaller things like marijuana, and sell that both sides make more $.  I’m not sure why so many point to business men and women trying to generate a profit, when the players also benefit from 48.5% of the tv revenue.  Given that the avg. player has a lifespan less than four years, the additional dollars will help with each person starting their real career.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I personally don’t care about the extra playoff teams , but why don’t people want 17  regular season games and two byes?

Get rid of two garbage preseason games and have two extra weeks of the regular season.. I’m not seeing the problem..

You could give every team a bye before their Thursday game and remove that unfair burden that those teams have to carry..

I do not agree that preseason games are garbage for it is only time some players are seen as not ready for NFL and others show what they can do with actually hitting and tackling.  The NFLPA allows so little practice tacking you would think one of the chances they want in new agreement is change tackling to two hand touch.

The problem for scheduling is the NFL does not want the season stating before Labor Day and Labor Day weekend is used as divider between preseason games and regular games.

I agree with you on using byes before Thursday night games, it is only logical, which is why some will object.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Two extra playoff games and 16 extra regular season games...the powers that be must be so excited. 

I’m happy to have more football. Hope they expand game day rosters to accompany this. 

it will be 17

I basically like the idea of both the expanded playoff and 17 game schedule. Keeps interest level high for more fans late in the year as opposed to already eyeing the next draft by thanksgiving.

Plus it will give the poor Patriots one more chance to make the playoffs now that we will be controlling the Division for the foreseeable future, LOL!

I'm just glad the Bills got in a couple times with the old format to break the streak.

It would have been rough to finish the drought by sneaking in as one of the new 7s for me.

It just never would have seemed as legit in my mind.

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Mine as well go eight playoff teams and go full ###### (NHL, NBA) to further devalue the regular season.  You're going to see more resting of starters at end of year for playoff teams as that 2nd seed bye is now out of play.  Just love the NFL fixing something that wasn't broken for a cash grab.

Totally agree.  The 8-8 Steelers and the 8-8 Cowboys or Bears would’ve made the playoffs last season.  Yuck.  It’s such diminishing returns for the NFL.  They add Thursday night games and viewership of other games - especially Monday night - drop off.  Now they want to add another playoff team which will make a lot of people just a little less interested in the regular season.  Lots of bad things happen long term when people go after the last nickel.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

So does this mean 3 playoff games both Saturday and Sunday? It must right?

I don't like the idea very much, a lot of 8-8s and 7-9s will be getting in now.

As far as 7 games go I hope they don't start labor day weekend, i.always camp then! 

Or the 10-6 that team that got left behind because some 7-9 Division winner 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Majority?  This argument sounds like "Moral Majority" which was neither moral nor the majority. 

Yes. Majority.

Profootballtalk has done 3 polls on the subject over the course of two years, and every single time, 60% or more have responded that they DON'T want the extra games.

Obviously, Profootballtalk does not represent the entire football viewing public. However, those spending their free time READING about pro football -- particularly in the offseason -- are likely dedicated fans. 

There has been no indication that "fan satisfaction" is the reason they're making these schedule changes. It's about one thing: Money. That's it.

Just now, Logic said:

Profootballtalk has done 3 polls on the subject over the course of two years, and every single time, 60% or more have responded that they DON'T want the extra games.

Profootball talk has also published sketchy articles to try to get hits. 

Which gives more hits NFL is giving more football or NFL is going against fan wishes. 

I have heard repeatedly from people that they want more football, people with no financial incentive, especially playoffs.

The rule is follow the money and in this case money is: Profootball talk is the pusher trying to get someone to take a taste.

NFL's problem is conflict between Labor Day dilemma where they do not want to play before Labor Day and longer season dilemma which runs regular season into mid January and Superbowl further into February.

Personally I think the 17th game format makes no sense unless it is swapping games between AFC and NFC every year. 

I hope the NFL polled partners to see if they will be paying extra for extra playoff games.  Making the extra games, especially extra playoff game, only available online will NOT be popular with fans.

I see they have sweetened the pot to players giving players who are on bye team extra money.  If players do not agree it stays the same meaning two teams of players with first round byes do not get paid.

14 hours ago, Logic said:

The NFL is really great at fixing what isn't broken. We've got the best sports league in America? Let's change a bunch of stuff even though it's not clear that the fans want it, spit in the face of player safety by adding more games per season, and devalue the regular season by adding more playoff games! 

Great job, guys. Well done.

It's going to be a real shame watching this league destroy itself because of greed.

It's called profit motive in capitalism. If you don't like it, go live in Russia!

• Haha (+1) 1