New Playoff Structure

I’d rather see them automatically slot the regular season winners as the home team in the NFC/AFC championships and then have playoffs to see who the road team will be. Congrats to the Chiefs for winning the SB, but the Ravens were the best team in 2019... not a fan of upsets by lesser teams who get hot at the right time.

Edited by Rico

17 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

So does this mean 3 playoff games both Saturday and Sunday? It must right?

I don't like the idea very much, a lot of 8-8s and 7-9s will be getting in now.

As far as 7 games go I hope they don't start labor day weekend, i.always camp then! 

typically when you see the 8-8 or 7-9s its cause they are a weak division winner

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

And yet...the Steelers were one of the best story lines in the NFL last year.    They were far from mediocre (even Duck was interesting for a week or so) with their second half winning streak and would have provided a good game vs. Kansas City in the Wild Card round... 

I disagree.  The Steelers won a lot of close games before losing to us, the Jets, and Baltimore resting their starters.  The Chiefs pry would’ve won an ugly 24-3 type game against them.

2 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

But how are they a horrible team if they ripped through everyone in the playoffs and won the superbowl(sorry, like a true Buffalonian I love the underdog haha)!??? The winner isn't chosen at random. They have to go out and play football. If they were the best team in the playoffs they were the best team at that time period and well deserving. The regular season doesn't matter stuff is bs too because 18 other teams will still be home on the couch for the first round.

Like i said the only argument i can see that is valid is having to watch a 6-10 team get smashed first round and left thinking why the F are they even playing.

The one and done allure of the playoffs with parody has always been somewhat negated by the top two teams having byes thus increasing the importance of the regular season.  Having a bye and a home game greatly increases your chance of making the Super Bowl.  

I prefer to award teams who have an exceptional regular season and this new format makes that less likely.  

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

you're saying these things kick if if NOT agreed to.

Yes, in the last CBA there are provisions called "Final Season".  It's essentially rules for what happens if a new CBA is not agreed upon

before the start of the last season of the contract.  That is coming soon.  Hopefully they get it worked out in the next couple of weeks!

20 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The issue with this is it adds 3 weeks to the season.  It's too much for the players as @Chicken Boo has stated earlier.

Rookies can barely get through an NFL season now compared to college and teams IR lists will just get longer.

I agree with the fans that think this is just a money grab.  For my two cents it dilutes the product.

Question for anyone who knows.  Has there been any talk about increasing roster size (lets say up to 55 from 53) in these talks.

I haven't heard anything about that. 

Yep, Thursday Night Football has already diluted the product by producing mostly poor football on short rest. Now we want to add a 17th game that will likely involve two teams traveling outside of the county, often in a vastly different time zone. Once again, those are typically lower quality games. 

• Like (+1) 1