New Playoff Structure

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

36s

NFL playoff structure is about to be changed. Under the current CBA proposal, seven teams from each conference will make the playoffs, with only bye per conference, sources tell ESPN. It would go into effect this upcoming season. More coming on http://ESPN.com.

I'd rather go this route than a 17th game. Makes games a lot more important late in the season especially to get that 1st seed

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Like (+1) 7

Mine as well go eight playoff teams and go full ###### (NHL, NBA) to further devalue the regular season.  You're going to see more resting of starters at end of year for playoff teams as that 2nd seed bye is now out of play.  Just love the NFL fixing something that wasn't broken for a cash grab.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Two extra playoff games and 16 extra regular season games...the powers that be must be so excited. 

I’m happy to have more football. Hope they expand game day rosters to accompany this. 

Edited by DCOrange

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Mine as well go eight playoff teams and go full ###### (NHL, NBA) to further devalue the regular season.  You're going to see more resting of starters at end of year for playoff teams as that 2nd seed bye is now out of play.  Just love the NFL fixing something that wasn't broken for a cash grab.

Getting paid more to work less that seems to be everyone's attitude now a days smh

Edited by Conlan93

I hate it. I knew big changes were coming but I like the current structure just fine. Getting into the playoffs should mean something more than being in the top half of the league. One extra regular season game is one extra chance for injuries. Not a fan of this at all.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 3

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-reportedly-planning-to-expand-playoffs-to-14-teams-000856379.html

Under this proposed new system, the Green Bay Packers and Kansas City Chiefs would not have received byes in last year’s playoff run. The Packers would have faced off against the Los Angeles Rams, while the Chiefs would have faced the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Seriously, does anyone really believe that the Steelers and Rams deserved to be playoff teams last year?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The NFL is really great at fixing what isn't broken. We've got the best sports league in America? Let's change a bunch of stuff even though it's not clear that the fans want it, spit in the face of player safety by adding more games per season, and devalue the regular season by adding more playoff games! 

Great job, guys. Well done.

It's going to be a real shame watching this league destroy itself because of greed.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

The NFL is really great at fixing what isn't broken. We've got the best sports league in America? Let's change a bunch of stuff even though it's not clear that the fans want it, spit in the face of player safety by adding more games per season, and devalue the regular season by adding more playoff games! 

Great job, guys. Well done.

It's going to be a real shame watching this league destroy itself because of greed.

Seems like a bit of an overreaction to adding 2 more playoff teams, no?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I hate it. I knew big changes were coming but I like the current structure just fine. Getting into the playoffs should mean something more than being in the top half of the league. One extra regular season game is one extra chance for injuries. Not a fan of this at all.

I’m also a fan of quality over quantity. The NFL just doesn’t have enough quality across the board to make every game interesting. Look at wild card games right now, you’ll see there are always several duds on wild card weekend. Several team always “sneak in”, and are nowhere close to the teams who have the bye week. I have no desire to watch additional lower quality football. 

43 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-reportedly-planning-to-expand-playoffs-to-14-teams-000856379.html

Seriously, does anyone really believe that the Steelers and Rams deserved to be playoff teams last year?

Exactly, and that’s the issue with this cash grab. I’m glad I didn’t watch Mason Rudolph or that Duck clown in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t like this. Just like I didn’t like the extra point change. Just like I didn’t like bringing up the kickoffs. 

I wish the owners would get rid of goodell. He treats the players unfairly, has given preference to the patriots, is changing the game for the worst, and tried to move the bills from buffalo by getting bon jovi involved. ***** him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

36s

NFL playoff structure is about to be changed. Under the current CBA proposal, seven teams from each conference will make the playoffs, with only bye per conference, sources tell ESPN. It would go into effect this upcoming season. More coming on http://ESPN.com.

I'd rather go this route than a 17th game. Makes games a lot more important late in the season especially to get that 1st seed

Fine with 7 teams...but I’d like a reseeding of winners of the WC weekend by record not by who one a division.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

For all the pissing and moaning about watering down the 'product,' the road team would have been 4-0 in the wildcard round if the Bills had held up their end of the bargain.   

The NFL isn't some have-have not league like the NBA or MLB.    Teams with 9-7 or 8-8 records can be very competititive.   And the two extra games should be good ones, based on recent history...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1