Restructure Kroft/Smith ?

BillsMafi$

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Typically you "restructure" on;y players you want to keep long time by giving them more guaranteed money in order to reduce their current year cap.

I'm guessing you mean you want these 2 to take a pay cut.

As others have said you can just as easily cut them from the team.

I have no idea why thread after thread posters keep talking about Croom.

He is not even on the team and I doubt he is being considered as anything more than a camp body IF they do sign him.

He's on IR, no?

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just  a thought, but I doubt the Kroft signing happens if Beane knew he would land TWO potential youngsters in Knox and Sweeney......as far as Smith, he generates "more YELLOW than Steelers terrible towels"...........

I don't know, I think it still would have happened.  My thinking is Beane and McD planned to have Knox pretty much sit and learn behind Kroft last season, play some in 2 TE set's, then this coming season let Knoxtake over as the starter, but keep Kroft for 2 TE sets and in case it turns out Know wasn't ready. 

But last years injuries accelerated everything and one year later you know Knox can take over as the starter, so does make Kroft more expendable. 

Smith I'd keep at least thru training camp as don't save a ton by cutting him, and keep him in case of injury.

Bates was a very versatile lineman, could play all positions.  I wonder how he'd be a blocking TE and an occasional like 4 to 5 times a season catch a ball, kind of like Smith was.  I'd think as a lineman should be as good if not better blocker.  Don't know if he has the size though for TE??  Would be nice to use only one roster slot toy be your backup swing tackle and blocking TE.

6 hours ago, White Linen said:

With all the credit we give Beane he, IMO, deserves negative criticism for these two decisions.  

Smith is a fine blocking TE. One of the best, yellow hankies notwithstanding. Signing Kroft was a quick fix just after releasing Charles Clay. The TE cupboard was bare and he was available before FA. Certainly with hindsight the choices don’t look promising but no, negative criticism isn’t deserved. They just did better than hoped for in the Draft.

10 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Smith is a fine blocking TE. One of the best, yellow hankies notwithstanding. Signing Kroft was a quick fix just after releasing Charles Clay. The TE cupboard was bare and he was available before FA. Certainly with hindsight the choices don’t look promising but no, negative criticism isn’t deserved. They just did better than hoped for in the Draft.

Like I said I understand the "theory" but it didn't work.  So in real time it deserves criticism.  I really don't understand your contention, when saying the choices don't look promising.  Just understanding why they did it doesn't negate it.

5 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Like I said I understand the "theory" but it didn't work.  So in real time it deserves criticism.  I really don't understand your contention, when saying the choices don't look promising.  Just understanding why they did it doesn't negate it.

If Kroft doesn’t get injured, he’s starting Day 1. I think it likely Smith is on the ‘20 roster as well, given how good a blocker he is. Check out every short yardage TD we scored. You’ll see him. I’m not criticizing McBeane for how it played out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

If Kroft doesn’t get injured, he’s starting Day 1. I think it likely Smith is on the ‘20 roster as well, given how good a blocker he is. Check out every short yardage TD we scored. You’ll see him. I’m not criticizing McBeane for how it played out. 

I'm not saying I despise him for it but because of how it played out he does.  If he cuts Kroft, it'll be because he agrees it was a mistake.  We'll see. Obviously because we're in good shape with the cap it doesn't matter much but it soon will.

I don't hate Smith and I'm sure if we count all the good blocks and compared them to the critical penalties, there's likely more good.  

I like Beane a lot but it doesn't mean we can't visit some of the players that didn't work out as we anticipate how well he'll build the roster in excellent cap health.

He's drafted well but he's had some FA signings that we haven't gotten our money's worth.  As the money gets spent I hope we get more than our money's worth more often.

WL- good points, and as Polian said on NFLR six months ago, he evaluated his lifetime history and stated he was at a 57% success rate in the draft and around the same to a little better in free agency.  Given he is one of the few GM’s in the HOF, Beane Id say is doing pretty well for a new GM, especially as he was hamstringed by lack of cap and high contracts for previous players.

Now he has cap space, a long future of a decent cap situation moving forward, and 9 picks.  The key for me and sounds like you are saying something similar is has he and McD learned from the mistakes of holding onto a guy like Peterman too long, or Benjamin.

I would feel very encouraged if they cut bait with these two guys, trade up for a young stud TE in FA, and you guys have convinced me maybe it is a good idea to grab Ngokuae given Jax and ATL ‘s cap situation (Hooper).  With the Murphy and these two cuts alone we’re looking at almost $99 mil in cap space.   We could afford these upgrades.

14 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

It’s clear that if we signed Olsen that Kroft or Smith would of be cut...Do you think the bills will now attempt to restructure one of them if they don’t end up bringing anyone else in? Considering one of them we’re not going to be in their plans

why do this? We have the cap space and no need to add dead money in future years. You don't want either player you just cut them