Restructure Kroft/Smith ?

BillsMafi$

Just now, BillsMafi$ said:

It’s clear that if we signed Olsen that Kroft or Smith would of be cut...Do you think the bills will now attempt to restructure one of them if they don’t end up bringing anyone else in? Considering one of them we’re not going to be in their plans

I think they will wait to see if someone else is cut or is available for trade.  If they dont get something prior to the draft, I'd expect them to take another tight end in rounds 4-6 and have a competition in training camp.    I think Smith will be here regardless, but Kroft is for sure on notice.

I think given what happened to Kroft last season Beane has plenty of ammo to negotiate a new contract if he still wants to play here but the ultimate decision might be made if they decide to sign another veteran TE but Beane may feel he deserves 1 more chance but it should be at a lower cost IMHO ...

29 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

It’s clear that if we signed Olsen that Kroft or Smith would of be cut...Do you think the bills will now attempt to restructure one of them if they don’t end up bringing anyone else in? Considering one of them we’re not going to be in their plans

Smith, I think, stays unless we bring in someone with a similar skill set.  He's basically like another OLman.

Kroft, I think it depends upon how they perceive his injury as impacting him last year.

I don't think they're in such a hurry to cut or restructure guys as folks seem to think around here.

• Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Smith has already been paid 50% of his contract in one year.  How much can they really save restructuring him at this point.  Just cut him outright and get someone better.

Ditto for Kroft--cut him.  Dumb signing anyway for real money.

...just  a thought, but I doubt the Kroft signing happens if Beane knew he would land TWO potential youngsters in Knox and Sweeney......as far as Smith, he generates "more YELLOW than Steelers terrible towels"...........

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just  a thought, but I doubt the Kroft signing happens if Beane knew he would land TWO potential youngsters in Knox and Sweeney......as far as Smith, he generates "more YELLOW than Steelers terrible towels"...........

I think if Kroft doesnt get injured when he saw what he had in Knox and Sweeney he trades him for a bag of footballs or a future 7th rounder or whatever

you just dont know how draft picks are gonna work out.....so he covers himself with vets

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Cut Kroft. He is useless at any salary

Both are due roster bonuses on March 22nd.  $750k for Kroft, $500k for Smith.  $2M of Kroft’s salary guarantees in that date as well. No sense paying them that if they aren’t in our plans.  I’d certainly expect Kroft to be cut before then.  His contract was always ridiculous.  Smith is making less and he has $1M of his salary guaranteed.  We are going to pay him $3.25M to play for us or $1M not to.  Don’t know what’ll happen there, but he’s certainly replaceable if we move on. 

I really don't like Smith.  I like the idea or theory of Kroft but McD always touts that availability is most important.  I think Kroft gets cut.  

With all the credit we give Beane he, IMO, deserves negative criticism for these two decisions.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Smith, I think, stays unless we bring in someone with a similar skill set.  He's basically like another OLman.

Kroft, I think it depends upon how they perceive his injury as impacting him last year.

I don't think they're in such a hurry to cut or restructure guys as folks seem to think around here.

I will just keep saying - give your 6th lineman developmental snaps instead of lee smith 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I think if Kroft doesnt get injured when he saw what he had in Knox and Sweeney he trades him for a bag of footballs or a future 7th rounder or whatever

you just dont know how draft picks are gonna work out.....so he covers himself with vets

The Kroft signing was dumb under any circumstance.  The guy has had a single season that produced anything and it was barely above mediocre.  His previous job was sitting on Cincy's IR list with a broken foot.  On his FIRST day in OTA's he immediately breaks his foot again!  

This guy has, over a 5 year career, 73 catches.  The Bills gave him top 15 TE money and this year he got 6.7 million for 6 catches.

Awful awful singing that can only partially be redeemed by admitting so and dumping this deadwood.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

The Kroft signing was dumb under any circumstance.  The guy has had a single season that produced anything and it was barely above mediocre.  His previous job was sitting on Cincy's IR list with a broken foot.  On his FIRST day in OTA's he immediately breaks his foot again!  

This guy has, over a 5 year career, 73 catches.  The Bills gave him top 15 TE money and this year he got 6.7 million for 6 catches.

Awful awful singing that can only partially be redeemed by admitting so and dumping this deadwood.

If only other teams did these same things....its a shame Beane is the only one to do this

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If only other teams did these same things....its a shame Beane is the only one to do this

That's a poor argument and not germane to the discussion.  

Of course many GMs have made careers out of bad decisions--no one can credibly argue against that.  But that fact doesn't mitigate the predictable error of signing Kroft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Typically you "restructure" on;y players you want to keep long time by giving them more guaranteed money in order to reduce their current year cap.

I'm guessing you mean you want these 2 to take a pay cut.

As others have said you can just as easily cut them from the team.

45 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

What is the deal with Croom? Is he a viable option, or has his "potential" worn out its welcome?

I have no idea why thread after thread posters keep talking about Croom.

He is not even on the team and I doubt he is being considered as anything more than a camp body IF they do sign him.

Edited by ColoradoBills