Fun!!! WOW!! NO MORE

plenzmd1

17 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

It was fabulous for younger kids when you could bring a wagon packed with food/drink and “spend a day,  not a fortune” .... 1000% more palatable than the Darien lake insanity.  Their Halloween setup was perfect for the younguns and the Wild West show was so cheesy, it was great!  After Martin sold it, it went downhill fast. 

But that's not a sustainable business model in today's world.  People "need", fresh, bigger, more exciting... Theme rides, etc... 

There is only one way to keep up with maintenance and people's attention.  Move to the model which Disney started.

*This doesn't mean I agree with this. It is what it is. Amusement parks need a constant infusion of cash, capital to keep them going, maintained, upgraded... Etc... Or they get stale.  You want to pack food, go walk in a town park or head to beach.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

17 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

It was fabulous for younger kids when you could bring a wagon packed with food/drink and “spend a day,  not a fortune” .... 1000% more palatable than the Darien lake insanity.  Their Halloween setup was perfect for the younguns and the Wild West show was so cheesy, it was great!  After Martin sold it, it went downhill fast. 

that's what these places really are the best for.  we have seabreeze in the rochester area, and it's a great way to kill a summer day with the kids.  we've told family not to buy our kids more *****, and instead get us passes to the local stuff.  someone gave our entire family summer passes, so expect to see me a lot there with my shirt off.

• Thank you (+1) 1

When my kids were young they loved Fantasy Island .  If it can't make a profit then Darien Lake  which is way bigger  and better should benefit from that closing. When I was young Crystal Beach was like Disney World to us and my parents.  When my kids were  older Cedar Point was the place to go for a short vacation. 

Did a couple of field trips there in school a long time ago.

As I recall, they had like a fake "old west" Main St. complete with fake shootout.  I remember a cowboy falling off the roof of a building after he was "shot" or something like that.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?  The memory is fuzzy.  We are talking late '70s here I think.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But that's not a sustainable business model in today's world.  People "need", fresh, bigger, more exciting... Theme rides, etc... 

There is only one way to keep up with maintenance and people's attention.  Move to the model which Disney started.

*This doesn't mean I agree with this. It is what it is. Amusement parks need a constant infusion of cash, capital to keep them going, maintained, upgraded... Etc... Or they get stale.  You want to pack food, go walk in a town park or head to beach.

When I first saw this article, my immediate reaction was that I was surprised it was actually still in business.  

A small, local theme park is kind of an outdated business model in the 21st century.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

As I recall, they had like a fake "old west" Main St. complete with fake shootout.  I remember a cowboy falling off the roof of a building after he was "shot" or something like that.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?  The memory is fuzzy.  We are talking late '70s here I think.

Yeah I remember that. I was born in 77 so used to go in early to late 80s. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The wild west shootout was going on when I was a mere pratt of a lad back in the 60s.  I think they were different upon opening in that they were a ‘pay one price’ park, Crystal Beach at the time collected tickets on each ride, purchased at booths around the park.  I do remember Fantasy Island being big on promoting themselves.  My father’s new Oldsmobile had a BIG bumper sticker plastered to it saying something like ‘We Had Fun at Fantasy Island’.  My mother stormed off to the office, and someone from the park was soon peeling it off before we left the parking lot.  Must be why they switched to annoying kids braying the “Fun?  Wow!” slogan on commercials.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

They did the wild west shootout when we took our son there in 2002. He got a toy badge, which he lost on the way to the car. A nuclear meltdown ensued.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The wild west shootout was going on when I was a mere pratt of a lad back in the 60s.  I think they were different upon opening in that they were a ‘pay one price’ park, Crystal Beach at the time collected tickets on each ride, purchased at booths around the park.  I do remember Fantasy Island being big on promoting themselves.  My father’s new Oldsmobile had a BIG bumper sticker plastered to it saying something like ‘We Had Fun at Fantasy Island’.  My mother stormed off to the office, and someone from the park was soon peeling it off before we left the parking lot.  Must be why they switched to annoying kids braying the “Fun?  Wow!” slogan on commercials.

Oh... You're a "mere pratt of a lad" alright!  Don't let anybody tell you otherwise, that's rubbish!

J/K... Cheerio, Good-Bye, Toodle-oo, Hip Hip! ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yea that was Always their big draw for kids

The wild west show

On 2/20/2020 at 12:39 PM, Nextmanup said:

First went to it in the mid 60s and yes they had the shootouts then. I was about 7 0rso. Knew ir was fake because one of the bad guys was  was a neighbor that lived 3 doors away.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/21/2020 at 1:38 PM, Wacka said:

First went to it in the mid 60s and yes they had the shootouts then. I was about 7 0rso. Knew ir was fake because one of the bad guys was  was a neighbor that lived 3 doors away.

Well WNY is a small community, but that's pretty funny.