Josh Allen - Invincible video - 1st 2 years

CorkScrewHill

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

He's got the "it" factor, that the Bills have spent a generation chasing since Kelly's retirement--paired with a competent FO, things quickly turn into playoff-caliber around here! Now let's get to SB contender this year (which includes winning our D straight up for the first time in forever). 

Yes x1000.  Whatever "It" is....the ability to inspire, the ability to engage, likeability, charisma, leadership.....Josh Allen has "It". 

I totally under-rated the  "It" factor in 2018 when I felt Josh Rosen should have been the pick (yes, I was a "wrong Josh"er - I reformed).  I think Josh Rosen is probably an OK guy.  Not the jerk he's been painted.  A bit full of himself, maybe a bit cocky, like a lot of elite athletes.  Has some physical QB talent.  But he does not have "It".

Consider, for example, Allen's effect on Jim Kelly.  I've never heard Kelly go on like this about another Bills QB. "I pray that he's the guy"  “Josh definitely has all the tools and the toughness and the work ethic" "A lot further along than I was at that age" "Listen to your Uncle Jim" "You can't help but root for him" "I think he's the real deal" "I love what I see"

I read this stuff and I just shake my head in bemusement.  It's not that Kelly doesn't see development needs and flaws as well as potential.  Kelly is no blind homer.  He sees.  He says so!  But he's clearly become engaged in a very personal way and is actively striving for Josh's success.  When he says "I pray he's the guy", he literally means just that.

From a high school principal or superintendent who was reported to "cry four times" while talking about Josh Allen and how much he meant to the community and the school and he inspired students by taking AP Calculus when he didn't have to just to be the best, and he's the sort of guy you want your kids to hang around and your daughter to marry etc etc (Edit: this was a Tim Graham feature in TBN summer ‘18)  To a former Bills HOF QB who refers to himself as "Uncle Jim" when speaking of Josh and says "I think he's the real deal", and "you just can't help but root for him" and talks about how despite his health problems and busy schedule "I've spent a lot of time with him" and he wants to spend more watching film just post back surgery.

In between, put a bunch of offensive players who say "I've never been in a bar fight, but I'd get in a bar fight for him",  OLmen who lift him up after plays like Rafiki presenting Simba, defenders who say after a loss "Josh is a stud.  We know he's a stud." then a GM who says, in his post-season presser, with the ring of sincerity "I believe there's no hurdle Josh Allen can't overcome"

That, my friends, is the Operational Definition of "It".  Whatever that magical ability is to get people to "buy in" and work as hard for your success as you do  - Josh Allen has "It".

"It" matters.  "It" is not enough - but add to raw talent and willpower and it may just be the difference.  And as far as I can tell:  Pro Football Focus, Football Outsiders, and all those other stats mavens - they have not yet figured out a way to measure "It". 

Maybe they need a stat for "Number of times per season OLman with torn rotator cuff lifts 240 lb 6'5" QB over his head like Jennifer Gray" - only 1/2 kidding here.

Here are the links to the articles with the quotes above:

postseason: https://rbj.net/2020/01/22/courageous-jim-kelly-boosts-spirts-remains-bullish-on-bills-qb-josh-allen/
“I pray that he’s the guy,’’ Kelly said. “Josh definitely has all the tools and the toughness and the work ethic"...."“People forget just how young he is,’’ Kelly said. “I told Josh, when I came into the NFL (after two seasons in the old United States Football League), I was 25 years old. And in my second year with the Bills, I didn’t play very well. I told Josh he’s a lot further along than I was at that age. My advice is to just keep working hard, and always listen to your Uncle Jim. He laughed when I told him that, and promised he would. He’s a good kid. You can’t help but root for him.”

postseason: https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/01/buffalo-bills-legend-jim-kelly-wants-to-see-josh-allen-be-more-of-a-qb-than-athlete-in-year-three.html

"I think there are times when he needs to drop back, take what they give him and not have to worry about making that big play all the time. He’s getting better. I love what I see. I like his athletic ability. Year three, I think everybody including myself and I’m sure including Josh too because I’ve spent a lot of time with him, knows that he has to improve on the part of being a quarterback and not just an athlete. I think he definitely can do it.”  "I love what I see" "I've spent a lot of time with him". 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/25/buffalo-bills-jim-kelly-josh-allen-pro-bowl-kyle-williams-one-on-one-coverage-vic-carucci-nfl-football/

BN: What do you think of Josh Allen?

JK: I think he’s the real deal. He needs the quarterback coach, the offensive coordinator to get in his mind. I have already talked to him and told him we need to sit down this offseason. ... I need to tell him some things that I saw that he was not doing that he needs to make sure are instilled in his mind, that I don't know if he's been told.

I never want to tramp on anybody's feet right, but we'll sit down, I'll go over some things with him. (Kelly said he intends to give the specifics to Allen rather than making them public.)

I'm excited about him because his personality is what you need in Buffalo. He's a hardworking SOB. It’s everything I love to see, but he can't do it alone.

BN: How do you feel about the comparisons that have been made between Josh and you as a quarterback?

JK: I wish I had his athletic ability. I mean, early on my career I wasn't bad, but I was never like that. And I think, as the season went on, he realized that he cannot take those big hits, that he's got to start learning to slide, get out of bounds. And he’s learning. He’s young, he’s a kid. But I love what I see and I can't wait to see what he’ll bring to the Buffalo Bills for the future.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes x1000.  Whatever "It" is....the ability to inspire, the ability to engage, likeability, charisma, leadership.....Josh Allen has "It". 

I totally under-rated the  "It" factor in 2018 when I felt Josh Rosen should have been the pick (yes, I was a "wrong Josh"er - I reformed).  I think Josh Rosen is probably an OK guy.  Not the jerk he's been painted.  A bit full of himself, maybe a bit cocky, like a lot of elite athletes.  Has some physical QB talent.  But he does not have "It".

Consider, for example, Allen's effect on Jim Kelly.  I've never heard Kelly go on like this about another Bills QB. "I pray that he's the guy"  “Josh definitely has all the tools and the toughness and the work ethic" "A lot further along than I was at that age" "Listen to your Uncle Jim" "You can't help but root for him" "I think he's the real deal" "I love what I see"

I read this stuff and I just shake my head in bemusement.  It's not that Kelly doesn't see development needs and flaws as well as potential.  Kelly is no blind homer.  He sees.  He says so!  But he's clearly become engaged in a very personal way and is actively striving for Josh's success.  When he says "I pray he's the guy", he literally means just that.

From a high school principal or superintendent who was reported to "cry four times" while talking about Josh Allen and how much he meant to the community and the school and he inspired students by taking AP Calculus when he didn't have to just to be the best, and he's the sort of guy you want your kids to hang around and your daughter to marry etc etc.  To a former Bills HOF QB who refers to himself as "Uncle Jim" when speaking of Josh and says "I think he's the real deal", and "you just can't help but root for him" and talks about how despite his health problems and busy schedule "I've spent a lot of time with him" and he wants to spend more watching film just post back surgery.

In between, put a bunch of offensive players who say "I've never been in a bar fight, but I'd get in a bar fight for him",  OLmen who lift him up after plays like Rafiki presenting Simba, defenders who say after a loss "Josh is a stud.  We know he's a stud." then a GM who says with the ring of sincerity "I believe there's no hurdle Josh Allen can't overcome"

That, my friends, is the Operational Definition of "It".  Whatever that magical ability is to get people to "buy in" and work as hard for your success as you do  - Josh Allen has "It".

"It" matters.  "It" is not enough - but add to raw talent and willpower and it may just be the difference.  And as far as I can tell:  Pro Football Focus, Football Outsiders, and all those other stats mavens - they have not yet figured out a way to measure "It". 

Maybe they need a stat for "Number of times per season OLman with torn rotator cuff lifts 240 lb 6'5" QB over his head like Jennifer Gray" - only 1/2 kidding here.

Here are the links to the articles with the quotes above:

postseason: https://rbj.net/2020/01/22/courageous-jim-kelly-boosts-spirts-remains-bullish-on-bills-qb-josh-allen/
“I pray that he’s the guy,’’ Kelly said. “Josh definitely has all the tools and the toughness and the work ethic"...."“People forget just how young he is,’’ Kelly said. “I told Josh, when I came into the NFL (after two seasons in the old United States Football League), I was 25 years old. And in my second year with the Bills, I didn’t play very well. I told Josh he’s a lot further along than I was at that age. My advice is to just keep working hard, and always listen to your Uncle Jim. He laughed when I told him that, and promised he would. He’s a good kid. You can’t help but root for him.”

postseason: https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/01/buffalo-bills-legend-jim-kelly-wants-to-see-josh-allen-be-more-of-a-qb-than-athlete-in-year-three.html

"I think there are times when he needs to drop back, take what they give him and not have to worry about making that big play all the time. He’s getting better. I love what I see. I like his athletic ability. Year three, I think everybody including myself and I’m sure including Josh too because I’ve spent a lot of time with him, knows that he has to improve on the part of being a quarterback and not just an athlete. I think he definitely can do it.”  "I love what I see" "I've spent a lot of time with him". 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/25/buffalo-bills-jim-kelly-josh-allen-pro-bowl-kyle-williams-one-on-one-coverage-vic-carucci-nfl-football/

BN: What do you think of Josh Allen?

JK: I think he’s the real deal. He needs the quarterback coach, the offensive coordinator to get in his mind. I have already talked to him and told him we need to sit down this offseason. ... I need to tell him some things that I saw that he was not doing that he needs to make sure are instilled in his mind, that I don't know if he's been told.

I never want to tramp on anybody's feet right, but we'll sit down, I'll go over some things with him. (Kelly said he intends to give the specifics to Allen rather than making them public.)

I'm excited about him because his personality is what you need in Buffalo. He's a hardworking SOB. It’s everything I love to see, but he can't do it alone.

BN: How do you feel about the comparisons that have been made between Josh and you as a quarterback?

JK: I wish I had his athletic ability. I mean, early on my career I wasn't bad, but I was never like that. And I think, as the season went on, he realized that he cannot take those big hits, that he's got to start learning to slide, get out of bounds. And he’s learning. He’s young, he’s a kid. But I love what I see and I can't wait to see what he’ll bring to the Buffalo Bills for the future.

Post of the day Hap, and it ain’t close on this mic-drop. Thanks for pulling those excerpts together in a crystal clear summary of why we know we have “it” at the QB position once again. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed. That they didn’t have the NE throw to Knox or the Houston throw to Devin was a surprise.

I didn't see the NE throw to Brown either, or the roll out/secondary route throw to Beasley at Dallas.   Should I watch again? I think there were a couple other throws in Houston that were "OMG WAT?" to me that I didn't see.

I guess that's promising, that we can all remember a bunch of "Wow!" throws that were left out.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't see the NE throw to Brown either, or the roll out/secondary route throw to Beasley at Dallas.   Should I watch again? I think there were a couple other throws in Houston that were "OMG WAT?" to me that I didn't see.

I guess that's promising, that we can all remember a bunch of "Wow!" throws that were left out.

The Brown NE throw was shown at the very beginning, and the Beasley/Dallas throw was shown from the EZ angle.

But yes, watch again because awesome.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like and agree with the overall point of your post.

That being said, the stuff about Kelly liking and being optimistic about Allen and tutoring him and having a relationship with him is a bit overblown, in my opinion.

I seem to recall Kelly also having an open line of communication/mentorship with EJ Manuel, and saying nice things about him to the press, as well. I also attended an event held after a training camp night practice once during Losman's tenure. It was a Q&A panel with Kelly and Losman. The team handed out colorful little cards that said "Bills QBs, past and present", with side-by-side pictures of Kelly and Losman. Anyway, Jimbo was saying nice things about Losman, too. The bottom line, to me, is that Jim Kelly wants the Bills to finally find a successor and have lasting success. He's also on the Bills payroll, so the odds of him saying overtly NEGATIVE things about any Bills QB seems low.

I couldn't find any links to Kelly talking about Losman, but here he is talking about EJ Manuel:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jim-kelly-supports-bills-quarterback-ej-manuel-says-he-has-it-all/

In an appearance on NFL Network's Total Access, Kelly said that he thinks Manuel "has it all."

"I think that with the new offensive system Greg Roman brings from San Francisco, I think it might be something that EJ needs," Kelly said. "I hope he does it. He's a good kid. I've heard him talk to the players, I heard what type of leader he is. He has it all."

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed. That they didn’t have the NE throw to Knox or the Houston throw to Devin was a surprise.

honestly, video should have been at least twice as long, his list of amazing plays in 2 seasons is too long to condense to a 3 min and some change video

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I like and agree with the overall point of your post.

That being said, the stuff about Kelly liking and being optimistic about Allen and tutoring him and having a relationship with him is a bit overblown, in my opinion.

I seem to recall Kelly also having an open line of communication/mentorship with EJ Manuel, and saying nice things about him to the press, as well. I also attended an event held after a training camp night practice once during Losman's tenure. It was a Q&A panel with Kelly and Losman.

I understand your point, and I too have heard Kelly (I know he's on the Bills payroll, as you point out) say positive things about the various Bills QB in the past, including Trent Edwards.

My point - and I'm not energized enough on it to research, compare and contrast so it's "believe it or don't" - is that while I've heard him say positive things about previous young Bills QB in the past, I haven't heard *the same kind of stuff*.   I haven't heard "he's further along than I was at his age" "I wish I'd had his athletic ability". I haven't heard "Listen to your Uncle Jim" and "You just can't help pulling for him".   I haven't heard about "I've spent a lot of time with him" (talking football) or "I'm going to get in his ear and watch film this spring and tell him more stuff".  

That's the "It" factor difference I see.  It's one thing to say nice things about somebody.  Talk is cheap.  It's another thing to actually put time into breaking down film with them and trying to actively further their success.

That's what guys with the "It" factor do - people don't just say nice things about them, they inspire belief, they inspire people to actively work hard(er) to further their success.

I mean I read that stuff from Kelly, along with a bunch of other stuff stretching back to when Josh was in HS and JUCO and I just shook my head like "That Kid's got Some *****".  I'm sure there are PR aspects to this but there's just too much, over and over from different people in different places, for the smoke to not have some fire to it.

It doesn't mean Josh will become a great QB - that's up to how hard he works and how successful hard work can be in addressing some things , but I do think "it" is real.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

PFF review of this highlight video:

- Too quick to leave the pocket on all those TD runs

- numerous cases where WRs had to adjust to catch inaccurate TD throws 
- leap over Vikings LBer showed poor mechanics and footwork

- didn’t keep speed through break in TD catch vs Houston 

- word selection during interview segment graded out as a D

definitely on the Roster bubble. 

Simply doesn’t have the upside of other young prospects like Duck Hodges 

• Haha (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

? "Replacement level"

Am I the only one who watched that great highlight video of Jim Kelly throws and wondered how many of them would have been graded as "interceptable throws"?

I think they missed some totally EVIL Josh throws from this season in favor of runs.

welll that depends on how they rated him coming out of college.

if he had a good DVOA or BSMUS then he was throwing guys open, if not non correctable accuracy issues  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

Josh is special and if you haven’t recognized it by now, then I’m not sure you can be helped. 

When gauging and NFL player, I truly believe it’s absolutely critical to understand the trajectory of the position overall: Josh is on the right trajectory. 

That was an absolute blast to watch and, as I’ve said elsewhere here, any time the ball is in his hands, I’m stoked. What a pick and what a ‘kid’!!!! ?