Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

Diggs is young, productive, and on a VERY reasonable contract for the next 4 years. We would be fools to not be all over this. 

I agree, he'd immediately be our #1 wr and we could still draft a wr either first or 3rd. Only 26 and the contract is not overwhelmingly. 

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Salary cap hell this year already $12M over

yeah. I get that, and that could definitely be the issue. But I think there’s more to it and I’m always hesitant when the cap is used as a reason for otherwise illogical personnel moves. Not that it doesn’t happen,  but teams usually have a lot of options to get out of SC hell without selling talent for pennies on the dollar.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I don’t understand why the Vikings are always trying to get rid of him. What’s the deal? 

They need cap space and it’s the best WR class in years to replace him cheap. I don’t think he’s a huge fan of Cousins either so maybe a change Of scenery would be good for him 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's 6' tall so less "smurf-y" than the rest.  But the man has a freakin' 36" vertical leap IN GAME TIME, with pads and a helmet.

5'9" is a smurf. 5'11" plus with vertical and ability to fight for the ball. 2 inches for a wr around this range is not going to matter that much

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree hard to see a trade, and even harder to see it for a 2nd.  I would think they'd want the bidding to start at a 1st.

Like yolo said hard to ask for a lot in a deep class

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Just to inject a little logic here. He's angry worth the Vikings because they are now a run heavy offense and they don't throw him the ball enough. How exactly would coming here solve that problem for him?

You’re right, I’m sure Josh wouldn’t utilize someone like Diggs.   Decoy SZN

Just now, whatdrought said:

I don’t hate the idea, but there’s a lot of red flags. 

- why is a team wanting to give up its best weapon?

- what differentiates him from other diva receivers we’ve seen moved lately? (Moves that at the time seemed like no-brainers for the buyers, but turned out to be huge wins for the sellers) 

- is he going to want more money? If so, how much?

- is it better to trade commodities and pay him as opposed to getting someone in this loaded draft class?

Cook is pry their best weapon but salary cap reasons come into play.  

He doesn't punch nets or call GM's crackers.

He's making around 14.4 million a year so that puts him just outside the top 10 in terms of average annual salary.  We have the cap space to maybe sweeten the contract a little.

I'd rather go with a proven commodity.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Josh doesn't call the plays.

Brown and Beasley put up some of their best numbers of their career.  That’s with Josh spending 90% of the season unable to calibrate his deep ball.  I’m not too worried about Diggs getting targets in our offense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Really talented player. I think he wants his contract re-done, so we would have to give him new guaranteed money like when we got Shady. 

We are getting close enough to really contending that it may be worth it if it’s just a 2nd round pick

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Just to inject a little logic here. He's angry with the Vikings because they are now a run heavy offense and they don't throw him the ball enough. How exactly would coming here solve that problem for him?

He wound up being unhappy to the tune of 94 targets and 1130 yds.

I think there's stuff that's overblown.  I don't think the trade gets made, personally.  They lose Diggs, who was their #1 WR this past year and close #2 the year before.  They eat $9M in cap and only save $5.5M.  No point.

But if it were true?  Go for it in a heartbeat unless they're something we don't know that precludes (like they think he couldn't master Daboll's offense or something)

• Like (+1) 1

I know that Beane values draft picks, but I don't know how you pass this up for a 2nd rounder if he can get it done.  As another wise poster noted above, there is a learning curve for the WR position for most coming out of college and I don't think it's a pie in the sky statement to to say that the Bills are entering a window where they can compete for a Championship with Allen still on his rookie contract.  To bring in a polished elite WR right now with no learning curve would be huge for this roster.

• Like (+1) 3