Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

4 hours ago, Mickey said:

I agree, there is a time and place for laying down your cash, I just don't think doing it for a WR in a year where the draft has more top talent at WR than we have seen in years makes any sense. Besides, does he strike anyone as being a guy who is just dying to come and play for the Bills? I'd rather see the money go to improving the pass rush or bringing in a real TE.

1st bold:  Bills need to look for 2 WRs.  They also need to stagger their ages.  Right now Beasley is 30, Brown is 29, Diggs is 26, and the ROOKIE that they

need to draft will be about 22.

2nd bold:  IF and I will emphasize IF they Bills traded for Diggs they will still have over 70 million in cap for a pass rusher and a REAL TE.

It's apparent you personally don't want the Beane looking into the "possibility" of a Diggs deal but you must at least agree that it could be

a rational avenue to pursue.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're not going to get him for less.

Um, the rumor is a 3nd.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty fair assessment  'Bisquit......Cousin's multiple tags and eventual contract fall WELL short of being "THE Guy".......

I would say he is at the top of that group though.

56 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

1st bold:  Bills need to look for 2 WRs.  They also need to stagger their ages.  Right now Beasley is 30, Brown is 29, Diggs is 26, and the ROOKIE that they

need to draft will be about 22.

2nd bold:  IF and I will emphasize IF they Bills traded for Diggs they will still have over 70 million in cap for a pass rusher and a REAL TE.

To add a third point to the two good ones you've already made, any rookie they bring in this year is not likely to pick up all of this offense quickly enough to be truly effective in it.

I agree they need to grab a kid in this WR deep draft, but if you want to help Josh short-term, you'd be wise to also bring another veteran on board next year.

• Like (+1) 6

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Just look at 1st round WR's taken in the last five drafts and it's like flipping a coin.....

Cooper, White, Parker, Agholar, Perriman, Coleman, Fuller, Doctson, Treadwell, Davis, M. Williams, Ross, Moore, Ridley, M. Brown, and Harry.

I'd take Diggs ahead of any of them except Cooper.  There's at least four busts in there and a few who've underwhelmed.  

I’d have to say it’s an anomaly, especially when you compare it to the success rate of guys taken in the second round during the same time (Michael Thomas, Tyler Boyd, JuJu, DJ Chark, Cooper Cupp, Debo Samuel, DK Metcalf, etc...). With all the time and money spent on scouting, there is no rationale explanation for guys selected later to outperform the first rounders.  Still, it makes you wonder...(I’d take Diggs over Cooper, BTW)

Edited by mannc
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’d have to say it’s an anomaly, especially when you compare it to the success rate of guys taken in the second round during the same time (Michael Thomas, Tyler Boyd, JuJu, DJ Chark, Cooper Cupp, Debo Samuel, DK Metcalf, etc...). With all the time and money spent on scouting, there is no rationale explanation for guys selected later to outperform the first rounders.  Still, it makes you wonder...

I was listening to a podcast awhile back so this is from memory.  A former GM was talking about the first open tryout they ever did - in Dallas I believe.  They had a lot of people show up, many more than they were expecting.  They divided them into two groups - WRs and everyone else.  And the WR group was much larger than the other. 

The upshot of that is that there are a lot of people (relative to other positions) who have the minimum physical abilities needed to play WR in the NFL.  That makes a lot of sense when you consider the different types of WRs there are and the different roles they fill.  But success in the NFL requires a lot more than physical gifts.  Some develop those and some don't, but the pool of people who might is so deep that those aren’t necessarily 1st round players.   Sure, WRs who are big, fast and agile will be a bigger priority than those that lack one of those characteristics, but many of that latter group will surpass the former group even if they don’t have the same ceiling. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I've always why a player who is as good as Diggs dropped to the fifth round. This is a decent explainer: https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/How-Did-Stefon-Diggs-Fall-to-Fifth-Round-of-NFL-Draft-47607699/

It’s interesting to me because one quoted part in the article:

Most of his production came from slot or as outside receiver in space. Must prove he can win as route runner against quality cornerbacks. Play strength is below par. Gets muscled around by physical defenders. Very aware of oncoming traffic and will stop routes to avoid big hits

Is the same knock that Jalen Reagor has... Then you go back and look at his tape with a solid QB and he looks very different. Particularly against Ohio State. Sometimes these guys get knocked and drop. sometimes they don’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2020 at 3:27 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I want a big WR still too.  What do you think about this:

Trade our 2nd for Diggs.

Trade a 6th to AZ for David Johnson AND their 3rd.

Now draft Michael Pittman (or other big WR prospect) with Arizona’s 3rd.  

Still have our first, our own 3rd, and our 4th to use on spots like DE, OT, LB or DB.

Thats a very doable scenario.  

Neither Minnesota nor Arizona would be dumb enough to make that trade.

16 minutes ago, Billl said:

Neither Minnesota nor Arizona would be dumb enough to make that trade.

Yet plenty of smoke and rumors around those exact trades.  Houston did this exact scenario with Cleveland to get rid of Osweiler, except they gave Cleveland a 2nd round pick to do it.  And I think at this point, its quite possible Diggs gets traded and all the rumors are talking a 2nd round pick is what could get it done.

There are no guarantees, and rumors are always just rumors, but to say never when both of those exact scenarios have some smoke building around them is a bit premature IMO.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

45 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet plenty of smoke and rumors around those exact trades.  Houston did this exact scenario with Cleveland to get rid of Osweiler, except they gave Cleveland a 2nd round pick to do it.  And I think at this point, its quite possible Diggs gets traded and all the rumors are talking a 2nd round pick is what could get it done.

There are no guarantees, and rumors are always just rumors, but to say never when both of those exact scenarios have some smoke building around them is a bit premature IMO.  

Yeah but is the smoke coming from the Bills...........

the Cardinals..........

or the Vikings?

?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/19/2020 at 6:49 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah but there’s something off about him. He seems like a giant dork and I think his record is pretty bad in prime time matchups.  

He’s one of those guys that puts up numbers but no one fears.  

Exactly. Like Marino back in the day. Excellent   Passer.  But not the QB you want on your team in the playoffs.

As for the WR debate. Golliday over Diggs.  For the same reasons you take a winning  QB over cousins

On 2/18/2020 at 10:29 PM, BuffaloRebound said:

This has Patriots written all over it.  Not sure Josh is ready to handle a diva receiver at this point in his career.  

Except the Cheatriots already traded that 2nd rounder for Sanu. They'd have to give up their 23rd overall 1st rounder to be in the Diggs sweepstakes. Just don't see that happening.