Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

No offense but I don’t think you really know what the situation is there.

If the Cardinals trade DJ, it will cost them $2M more this season than keeping him because of his dead cap. If they “need to sign Drake” why would they try to do it with $2M less in cap space? Cardinals also have a projected $51M in space this offseason, hardly barely enough to sign Drake.

When Houston traded Osweiler it SAVED them $10M in cap space. That’s why you trade big contracts, to get cap relief. Not lose cap space.

You realize there is more than just next year this move impacts right?  

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Hmmm, apparently not too steep this year for  Debo Samuel, AJ Brown, Mecole Hardman, DK Metcalf, or Terry McLaurin.  Very silly comment.

Traditionally,  it generally takes a season or two for a WR to blossom. Sure, there are guys who pick it up right away. Sure, you can force feed a guy and if a wr can catch- he will. Its possible you guys dont disagree per se as much as just arent on the same page. AJ Green for example, got it. But it took a couple seasons for him to learn his craft and come the beast he became. Some guys like Zay for example never get it, and some come hot out of the box. I guess it just makes which one you choose all the more important vs trading for one whos already done the growing and its added cost the question!

On 2/19/2020 at 4:49 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah but there’s something off about him. He seems like a giant dork and I think his record is pretty bad in prime time matchups.  
He’s one of those guys that puts up numbers but no one fears.  

Maybe the Saints should have come marchin' in to dat Wild Card game with a bit more Cousins "fear factor" then.

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You realize there is more than just next year this move impacts right?  

Yeah, like losing a draft pick to TAKE on more salary this year. That’s one of those things that could have a longer impact for exactly zero competitive benefit.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Traditionally,  it generally takes a season or two for a WR to blossom. Sure, there are guys who pick it up right away. Sure, you can force feed a guy and if a wr can catch- he will. Its possible you guys dont disagree per se as much as just arent on the same page. AJ Green for example, got it. But it took a couple seasons for him to learn his craft and come the beast he became. Some guys like Zay for example never get it, and some come hot out of the box. I guess it just makes which one you choose all the more important vs trading for one whos already done the growing and its added cost the question!

LOL.  I just gave five examples of 2nd and 3rd round rookie WRs who made huge impacts just this past season.  I’d say WR might have the flattest learning curve of any position besides RB.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

He caught two more balls, 60 more yards and 5 more TDs than Diggs this past year. Diggs caught 102 and 9 tds the year before, while Golladay caught 70 for 5tds. How has he put up better stats than Diggs the last 2 years? 

He’s had more total yards, more yards per reception by a lot, more touchdowns, they are about the same speed and he’s considerably taller and stronger.    And he achieved this in his second and third year in the league.

He clearly has been ascending, whereas Diggs has had 3 pretty good years in a row but no clear ascension.

Dont get me wrong Diggs is a quality number 1 Wr and I would love to have him but if I had to choose between the two I would choose Golladay

19 hours ago, Mickey said:

Where did I say we shouldn't even look into the possibility? Thats as fair as me claiming those who want him "seem" willing to pay any price in draft picks and money. You "seem" unwilling to concede that a rational person might want to pass on Diggs.  

I guess I misinterpreted your post.

5 hours ago, Magox said:

He’s had more total yards, more yards per reception by a lot, more touchdowns, they are about the same speed and he’s considerably taller and stronger.    And he achieved this in his second and third year in the league.

He clearly has been ascending, whereas Diggs has had 3 pretty good years in a row but no clear ascension.

Dont get me wrong Diggs is a quality number 1 Wr and I would love to have him but if I had to choose between the two I would choose Golladay

To me it’s about contract. Diggs is under contract at a reasonable price for 4 years. Golladay is gonna command a lot of money because of his play last year and continued growth next year. 

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

To me it’s about contract. Diggs is under contract at a reasonable price for 4 years. Golladay is gonna command a lot of money because of his play last year and continued growth next year. 

For sure and that is definitely a huge consideration.   I was speaking purely from a player standpoint.   I think Golladay is not only the better player at this time but that he is clearly ascending and does not appear to have hit his ceiling.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2020 at 8:46 AM, Buffalo03 said:

Diggs is kinda overrated to me. He disappears for a few games at a time and gets hurt too much. I'd rather sign AJ Green for a year without giving up a pick and still draft a WR in one of the first 3 rounds

I’m leaning this way as well, but I also haven’t watched a lot of Diggs, so he may be better than my memory suggests.  I prefer to add a wr over 6feet, so I’ll take aj or golladay plus a rd 1-3 wr

On 2/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, Buffalo03 said:

Diggs is kinda overrated to me. He disappears for a few games at a time and gets hurt too much. I'd rather sign AJ Green for a year without giving up a pick and still draft a WR in one of the first 3 rounds

I probably agree but whether or not you can sign AJ for a year is very debatable. I’ve seen some projecting like 4/$70 mil for him which I would definitely not be interested in (unless it’s basically a 2 year with two team options).

I’d be ecstatic to get Diggs as well though. Don’t really think Diggs gets moved at the end of the day. The guy I’m keeping an eye on is Brandin Cooks. Would likely cost less given his injury issues. Not sure if it’ll make cap sense for the Rams until we have a new CBA though. 

Edited by DCOrange

and Green doesn't get hurt too much? Diggs has missed 4 games over the last 3 seasons....I don't think he gets hurt too much

43 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I probably agree but whether or not you can sign AJ for a year is very debatable. I’ve seen some projecting like 4/$70 mil for him which I would definitely not be interested in (unless it’s basically a 2 year with two team options).

I’d be ecstatic to get Diggs as well though. Don’t really think Diggs gets moved at the end of the day. The guy I’m keeping an eye on is Brandin Cooks. Would likely cost less given his injury issues. Not sure if it’ll make cap sense for the Rams until we have a new CBA though. 

Rams take too big of a dead cap hit if they cut or trade Cooks before 2021.  Lions would be nuts not to extend Golladay and they have the cap space to do it.  I agree with you on AJ Green as only a short term deal would be feasible given his age and he hasn't played football since 2018.  If Beane thinks Diggs head is on straight then I'd take the chance and trade a 1st for him as he's a proven commodity.  If not, we have no choice but to get a WR through the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2020 at 11:41 AM, mannc said:

LOL.  I just gave five examples of 2nd and 3rd round rookie WRs who made huge impacts just this past season.  I’d say WR might have the flattest learning curve of any position besides RB.

i'd say

kicker/punter

RB

Corner

Safety

MLB/WR

in that order

I'd be into AJ Green 5 years ago. But now... tough one. IMO, he will be completely ineffective and if he takes the right hit could even be a mid-season retire.

On 2/22/2020 at 1:05 PM, Mickey said:

I recognize that wanting Diggs is not at all irrational, I get it though I disagree. But then again I'd prefer to give up our second to move up and take Ceedee Lamb so don't pay any attention to me. 

Its gonna cost more than our second in a trade package to get Lamb.  He’s gonna go quite a bit higher than our 22nd pick most likely.  Best Hope is that Juedy slides due to a run on QBs.  Colts kick will be pivotal and then Broncos at 15.  Colts could very well take a QB if they don’t land one in FA.  Although I think Rivers May wind up in Indy personally.  

If Juedy gets to 15, I hope Bills are on phone with Denver.  

On 2/22/2020 at 1:05 PM, Mickey said:

I recognize that wanting Diggs is not at all irrational, I get it though I disagree. But then again I'd prefer to give up our second to move up and take Ceedee Lamb so don't pay any attention to me. 

Dude....its gonna cost a lot more then a additonal 2nd round pick to get to Lamb