Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

Well I'm of the opinion that the learning curve for a Rookie WR is the steepest next to QB. If the Bills plan is to take an edge rusher in the first and wr in the second in a super deep wr class give up the second for a proven veteran and it's not even a question. Maybe even target the DE from JAX in FA and draft best available in the first.  I'd do a second for Diggs in a heartbeat.

Edited by BeefCurtns

On 2/20/2020 at 5:05 AM, thebandit27 said:

Unless Diggs wants out for some reason I don't see why they would on from him. He is a true top 20 WR that makes 15 million a year and is a contract that is easy to get out of in 2021 or 2022 (6 million dead cap in 2021 and 3 million dead cap in 2022.) He is also 27 years old and has no significant injury. Why would they want to get rid of him let alone for a 2nd round pick? This was never going to happen barring something unforeseen. 

On 2/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, ColoradoBills said:

1st bold:  Bills need to look for 2 WRs.  They also need to stagger their ages.  Right now Beasley is 30, Brown is 29, Diggs is 26, and the ROOKIE that they

need to draft will be about 22.

2nd bold:  IF and I will emphasize IF they Bills traded for Diggs they will still have over 70 million in cap for a pass rusher and a REAL TE.

It's apparent you personally don't want the Beane looking into the "possibility" of a Diggs deal but you must at least agree that it could be

a rational avenue to pursue.

Where did I say we shouldn't even look into the possibility? Thats as fair as me claiming those who want him "seem" willing to pay any price in draft picks and money. You "seem" unwilling to concede that a rational person might want to pass on Diggs.  

13 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Where did I say we shouldn't even look into the possibility? Thats as fair as me claiming those who want him "seem" willing to pay any price in draft picks and money. You "seem" unwilling to concede that a rational person might want to pass on Diggs.  

I would prefer not to pass on Diggs if all it took was out 2nd round pick

He is good

8 hours ago, BuffaloSol said:

Arizona would be lucky to get that for David Johnson.

He is not even close to the same guy he was a couple years ago and owed a ton.

When 90% of the fanbase is saying they’d make a trade, that’s a pretty good sign that the trade is unrealistic.  The Cardinals aren’t giving away David Johnson plus a third round pick for nothing.  They know they aren’t competing this year, so they can eat the money this year and get a better draft slot next year.  Why would they give up picks during a rebuild?

1 hour ago, Billl said:

When 90% of the fanbase is saying they’d make a trade, that’s a pretty good sign that the trade is unrealistic.  The Cardinals aren’t giving away David Johnson plus a third round pick for nothing.  They know they aren’t competing this year, so they can eat the money this year and get a better draft slot next year.  Why would they give up picks during a rebuild?

No offense, but I don't think you really know what the situation is there.  They have to eat that contract longer than that, and they want to resign Drake.  He has a big contract left, its not one year.  They need to move him so they can sign Drake.  

David Johnson is essentially their 3rd RB right now (if they resign Drake like they want), and yet still one of the highest paid RB's in the league.  No way they way they are paying Drake while still paying DJ top 5 RB money to be 3rd on the depth chart.  

And while you say a rebuilding team wont do this...well a rebuilding Houston Texans team did a few years ago in 2017 to get rid of Brock Osweilers contract.  And they paid a 2nd round pick to do it and cash.  And there is talk a couple teams could go down this road to get rid of bad contracts this offseason.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense, but I don't think you really know what the situation is there.  They have to eat that contract longer than that, and they want to resign Drake.  He has a big contract left, its not one year.  They need to move him so they can sign Drake.  

David Johnson is essentially their 3rd RB right now (if they resign Drake like they want), and yet still one of the highest paid RB's in the league.  No way they way they are paying Drake while still paying DJ top 5 RB money to be 3rd on the depth chart.  

And while you say a rebuilding team wont do this...well a rebuilding Houston Texans team did a few years ago in 2017 to get rid of Brock Osweilers contract.  And they paid a 2nd round pick to do it and cash.  And there is talk a couple teams could go down this road to get rid of bad contracts this offseason.  

No offense but I don’t think you really know what the situation is there.

If the Cardinals trade DJ, it will cost them $2M more this season than keeping him because of his dead cap. If they “need to sign Drake” why would they try to do it with $2M less in cap space? Cardinals also have a projected $51M in space this offseason, hardly barely enough to sign Drake.

When Houston traded Osweiler it SAVED them $10M in cap space. That’s why you trade big contracts, to get cap relief. Not lose cap space.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/20/2020 at 8:59 PM, BeefCurtns said:

Well I'm of the opinion that the learning curve for a Rookie WR is the steepest next to QB. 

Hmmm, apparently not too steep this year for  Debo Samuel, AJ Brown, Mecole Hardman, DK Metcalf, or Terry McLaurin.  Very silly comment.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

If price was equal, you would take one year of Golladay, over 4 years of Diggs? When Golladay hasn't produced better numbers. Why?

For starters Golladay has only been in the league three years.  His stats over the past two years have been better than Diggs, more TD's and a lot more yards per reception.

Don't get me wrong Diggs is a mighty fine player, I would say top 15 in the league which makes him a bonafide #1 WR.    Golladay is much bigger, fights for those 50/50 balls about as good as anyone in the league and they are just about the same speed.   His ascension and production this early in his career point to him being a top 6-8 WR in the league.

I would venture to guess that Golladay would be viewed as the better receiver from most NFL teams.

On 2/20/2020 at 7:50 PM, Reks Ryan said:

Exactly. Like Marino back in the day. Excellent   Passer.  But not the QB you want on your team in the playoffs.

As for the WR debate. Golliday over Diggs.  For the same reasons you take a winning  QB over cousins

You compare Dan Marino to Kirk Cousins?

You're blocked.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

For starters Golladay has only been in the league three years.  His stats over the past two years have been better than Diggs, more TD's and a lot more yards per reception.

Don't get me wrong Diggs is a mighty fine player, I would say top 15 in the league which makes him a bonafide #1 WR.    Golladay is much bigger, fights for those 50/50 balls about as good as anyone in the league and they are just about the same speed.   His ascension and production this early in his career point to him being a top 6-8 WR in the league.

I would venture to guess that Golladay would be viewed as the better receiver from most NFL teams.

He caught two more balls, 60 more yards and 5 more TDs than Diggs this past year. Diggs caught 102 and 9 tds the year before, while Golladay caught 70 for 5tds. How has he put up better stats than Diggs the last 2 years? 

• Thank you (+1) 1