Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well you’re generally right but since receiver is such a dependable position, good ones can be found throughout the draft.  The Steelers rarely draft a receiver high (I think JuJu is the highest One they have drafted in a long time) yet they always find studs.  

You realize the Steelers have drafted WR in the 2nd round the last three years running, yes? And outside JJSS the other two are James Washington and Diontae Johnson?

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great point with Thielen.  Just like Brady, he’s just passionate.  Diggs does it, he’s a problem and a “cancer.”  

and I don’t question the talent of Diggs but I don’t know if that’s what we need.  I certainly take him if the price is right.  But we still need a big receiver if we got him. 

I want a big WR still too.  What do you think about this:

Trade our 2nd for Diggs.

Trade a 6th to AZ for David Johnson AND their 3rd.

Now draft Michael Pittman (or other big WR prospect) with Arizona’s 3rd.  

Still have our first, our own 3rd, and our 4th to use on spots like DE, OT, LB or DB.

Thats a very doable scenario.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Just look at 1st round WR's taken in the last five drafts and it's like flipping a coin.....

Cooper, White, Parker, Agholar, Perriman, Coleman, Fuller, Doctson, Treadwell, Davis, M. Williams, Ross, Moore, Ridley, M. Brown, and Harry.

I'd take Diggs ahead of any of them except Cooper.  There's at least four busts in there and a few who've underwhelmed.  

it’s a good point. I’m not sure we yet know how this regime drafts and develops WRs. 

Zay wasn’t picked by the current scouting staff. 

not sure the sixth and seventh Picks in 18 tell us much. 

I just hope however they go it’s all about catch radius and sure hands. DeAndre or Thomas catch everything in their zip code.

I keep thinking about what Donald Driver meant to Favre. 

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You realize the Steelers have drafted WR in the 2nd round the last three years running, yes? And outside JJSS the other two are James Washington and Diontae Johnson?

You think if you were going to correct someone you would actually get it right?  Johnson was a 3rd rounder.  Prior to JuJu, they got amazing production from Crazy AB (6th round) and Sanders (3rd) in the same draft, Mike Wallace 3rd.  

I guess the bigger picture is they haven’t spend a 1st rounder on a receiver since Holmes yet they seem to take one almost every year.  And Big Rape is great for receivers. 

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dont forget about 2nd rounder Limas Sweed before that as well.

Who was a huge bust.  They seem to do much better at receivers in the 3rd and later. 

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I want a big WR still too.  What do you think about this:

Trade our 2nd for Diggs.

Trade a 6th to AZ for David Johnson AND their 3rd.

Now draft Michael Pittman (or other big WR prospect) with Arizona’s 3rd.  

Still have our first, our own 3rd, and our 4th to use on spots like DE, OT, LB or DB.

Thats a very doable scenario.  

I’m just curious why Arizona would do that.  Also, Johnson looked so slow.

but I am down with any moves that gets more playmakers here.  And I love Pittman.  If he goes to the right team, I think he could have a Metcalf type career.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You think if you were going to correct someone you would actually get it right?  Johnson was a 3rd rounder.  Prior to JuJu, they got amazing production from Crazy AB (6th round) and Sanders (3rd) in the same draft, Mike Wallace 3rd.  

I guess the bigger picture is they haven’t spend a 1st rounder on a receiver since Holmes yet they seem to take one almost every year.  And Big Rape is great for receivers. 

Who was a huge bust.  They seem to do much better at receivers in the 3rd and later. 

I’m just curious why Arizona would do that.  Also, Johnson looked so slow.

but I am down with any moves that gets more playmakers here.  And I love Pittman.  If he goes to the right team, I think he could have a Metcalf type career.

AZ is looking to move his contract, like Osweiker trade from Hou to Cle.  Basically paying us a 3rd to take on his final 2 years of his deal. 

We can afford to do this as we won’t have cap issues over the next 2 seasons.  It’s a rumored trade discussion.  

I like Pittman a lot too, but I think his 40 time could make him slip to the 3rd given the immense depth of WR in this draft.

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

I agree, there is a time and place for laying down your cash, I just don't think doing it for a WR in a year where the draft has more top talent at WR than we have seen in years makes any sense. Besides, does he strike anyone as being a guy who is just dying to come and play for the Bills? I'd rather see the money go to improving the pass rush or bringing in a real TE.

one does not negate the other. Just be contract smart.

I am down with drafting two Wrs this year. and one of them should be qualified  to start immediately

Suppose it come down to  ? Can Diggs surely improve the team over the next two years. Will Allen find him.
Is he a good fit with Josh and will improve Allen skill wise and statistically. 

I would pay decent money for all those things, even some of them. Diggs is not the End game for getting a #1 WR though. he seems more a complimentary player to the room Bills already have.

btw i think we should just quit the AJ Green talk. just not going to happen

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The fact that Beane hasn't gotten this done yet is an indication we're tanking next year.

Like minds eh ?
nothing else explains it....

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It makes no logical sense to say that in a situation where they cant afford both to just assume who ever gets traded was traded because he was a "problem".  And for all we know, Diggs may have asked to be traded, it could be why he is the one being shopped.  

fact. about no facts. likely they have agreed to disagree is my guess

Again, you don't actually know that. 

None of us do.

What are you talking about?  He isn't a FA.  And a free agent who is proven to be a top 10 player is always better than an unproven prospect.  While this class is deep at WR, many of them WILL bust.  

Proven is good

Draft picks are by far a bigger gamble than a proven pro bowl player.  

Verifiable fact based on historical facts

Diggs contract is not a bad contract for us, it would actually be a bargain for his talent level.  

this is the attractive bit. looks like some wiggle room for Bills to let Beane do his thang contract wise. Front load it to sell it. We can afford it this year.

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Kirk Cousins was statistically one of the best QBs in the NFL in 2019. His numbers were phenomenal, and the team won.

Yeah but there’s something off about him. He seems like a giant dork and I think his record is pretty bad in prime time matchups.  

He’s one of those guys that puts up numbers but no one fears.  

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

I've always why a player who is as good as Diggs dropped to the fifth round. This is a decent explainer: https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/How-Did-Stefon-Diggs-Fall-to-Fifth-Round-of-NFL-Draft-47607699/

Diggs was one of the nation's rare five-star recruits coming out of high school. Didn't know that.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah but there’s something off about him. He seems like a giant dork and I think his record is pretty bad in prime time matchups.  

He's a dedicatwed LOTR fan, so he's always gonna be cool in my book.  

Re: fear and numbers, to repeat, he was one of the best QBs in the league in 2019, and he buried the dagger late in the game against an elite Saints team on the road in the playoffs.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I've always why a player who is as good as Diggs dropped to the fifth round. This is a decent explainer: https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/How-Did-Stefon-Diggs-Fall-to-Fifth-Round-of-NFL-Draft-47607699/

Diggs was one of the nation's rare five-star recruits coming out of high school. Didn't know that.

He's a dedicatwed LOTR fan, so he's always gonna be cool in my book.  

Re: fear and numbers, to repeat, he was one of the best QBs in the league in 2019, and he buried the dagger late in the game against an elite Saints team on the road in the playoffs.

Yeah, he definitely a solid starting qb but there’s just something about him.  I just never got the impression that he is an elite type of qb.  That Vikings team is loaded so it’s not out of the question he can win a SB.  

I just remember last year we played them and they were a trendy SB pick.  But then you watch the game and you are like that’s why Washington let him go.  He’s like in the Jimmy G, Stafford, Tannehill, Dalton group of solid but not game changer qbs.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Like Dak Prescott... :)

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, he definitely a solid starting qb but there’s just something about him.  I just never got the impression that he is an elite type of qb.  That Vikings team is loaded so it’s not out of the question he can win a SB.  

I just remember last year we played them and they were a trendy SB pick.  But then you watch the game and you are like that’s why Washington let him go.  He’s like in the Jimmy G, Stafford, Tannehill, Dalton group of solid but not game changer qbs.

...pretty fair assessment  'Bisquit......Cousin's multiple tags and eventual contract fall WELL short of being "THE Guy".......

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I will take a guy who puts up numbers to run opposite Smoke

I was referring to Cousins.  But as much as I don’t think isn’t anything special, Diggs did get the ball there a lot and he struggled to be happy.  Could be something to think about before we trade a good pick for him.  

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was referring to Cousins.  But as much as I don’t think isn’t anything special, Diggs did get the ball there a lot and he struggled to be happy.  Could be something to think about before we trade a good pick for him.  

I honestly dont mind a player that has a high opinion of themselves as long as they back it up with production.

Thinking about our OC's system (since I can never spell his name right) it just seems to me that Diggs is the type that would get the ball a lot