Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, he isn't - he's an ERFA - they have his rights if they want them.  

Ah that's right, I stand corrected. Thanks.

Could be an interesting way to sweeten the pot of our #54 overall offer... Good idea!

Edited by DrDawkinstein

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Would the Vikes sending back their 4th round comp pick help?

Lots of ways to get things done.

I've wanted us to draft a WR in the 1st, but am extremely leery of any of the WRs slated to be available all the way at #22. So a trade for a proven player makes sense to me. Sounds better than having to package other assets in order to move up just to get an unknown rookie WR.

I've also wanted us to dip back into the WR draft pool in the 4th or so, so your proposal would be perfect. Use that 4th on another WR. Get 2 WRs for the #22 pick.

Sounds like a no-brainer.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know.  Diggs is a good player but a lot of these receivers get their big contract then become complete headcases which may or may not be the case with him.  If this Receiver draft class is as good as advertised, I’d rather draft one early than trade a high draft pick for Diggs.  A rookie WR will give you at least 4 good years to get that big contract before they turn crazy.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t know.  Diggs is a good player but a lot of these receivers get their big contract then become complete headcases which may or may not be the case with him.  If this Receiver draft class is as good as advertised, I’d rather draft one early than trade a high draft pick for Diggs.  A rookie WR will give you at least 4 good years to get that big contract before they turn crazy.  

what if they don't produce like Diggs has? We need to stop worrying about money and cap space and get to the Superbowl

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Something about Diggs rubs me the wrong way.

I would rather draft 2/3 WR's and role with them at cost-effective rate than deal with a potential problem.

But like I said, wherever the Bills go in terms of Diggs is fine with me.

Curious, where do people get that Diggs is a problem?  Both him and Theilen (a guy people praise) voiced their dislike of the new offense last year, yet only one who gets flack for it is Diggs.  They went from a pass first team to a run first team this season and not a shock that the 2 top end WR's weren't enamored with it.  

I feel like people assume Diggs is a cancer because Minn is considering moving him, but they are grossly overlooking the fact that Minn is in cap hell and has to do something.  And with Cook, having two high cap WR's is more of a luxury than a need.  

I mean if there was ever a time for Minn to trade Diggs, this is the year.  You get back a premium pick in first 2 rounds to use on a WR draft that is the best in years and may be the deepest ever to find a potential replacement without the price tag.

Bills on the other hand, have plenty of cap room for a top end WR contract and would be better off brining in a sure thing for our young team and QB than roll the dice on a draft prospect that may take a couple seasons or longer to fully develop.  

Diggs being available is not an indication he is a problem.  Its an indication their GM is a problem and didn't manage the cap well enough to afford two high end WR's on a team that now has a top end run game where the RB is also a dangerous WR.  Not to mention, a really good vet TE and a very promising TE coming off his rookie season.  

Diggs is a luxury they just cant afford.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Curious, where do people get that Diggs is a problem?  Both him and Theilen (a guy people praise) voiced their dislike of the new offense last year, yet only one who gets flack for it is Diggs.  They went from a pass first team to a run first team this season and not a shock that the 2 top end WR's weren't enamored with it.  

I feel like people assume Diggs is a cancer because Minn is considering moving him, but they are grossly overlooking the fact that Minn is in cap hell and has to do something.  And with Cook, having two high cap WR's is more of a luxury than a need.  

I mean if there was ever a time for Minn to trade Diggs, this is the year.  You get back a premium pick in first 2 rounds to use on a WR draft that is the best in years and may be the deepest ever to find a potential replacement without the price tag.

Bills on the other hand, have plenty of cap room for a top end WR contract and would be better off brining in a sure thing for our young team and QB than roll the dice on a draft prospect that may take a couple seasons or longer to fully develop.  

Diggs being available is not an indication he is a problem.  Its an indication their GM is a problem and didn't manage the cap well enough to afford two high end WR's on a team that now has a top end run game where the RB is also a dangerous WR.  Not to mention, a really good vet TE and a very promising TE coming off his rookie season.  

Diggs is a luxury they just cant afford.  

• Haha (+1) 2

If there was ever a year NOT to mortgage the future on a WR being kicked to the curb by his existing team it is this year. The draft has a ton of WR talent that you can get without any mileage or attitude concerns at a fraction of what Diggs would cost. What good is a draft stocked with WR talent if you are going to waste that opportunity reaching for an overpriced FA?

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Something about Diggs rubs me the wrong way.

I would rather draft 2/3 WR's and role with them at cost-effective rate than deal with a potential problem.

But like I said, wherever the Bills go in terms of Diggs is fine with me.

you think the Bills will draft 2-3 WRs and they will all make the team?  

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

If there was ever a year NOT to mortgage the future on a WR being kicked to the curb by his existing team it is this year. The draft has a ton of WR talent that you can get without any mileage or attitude concerns at a fraction of what Diggs would cost. What good is a draft stocked with WR talent if you are going to waste that opportunity reaching for an overpriced FA?

How is trading a draft pick for a young proven WR mortgaging the future?

3 minutes ago, Mickey said:

1.  His team isnt kicking him to the curb.  They are in a cap hell with another elite WR on the team, 2 good TEs and a run first offense where the RB is also a dangerous receiver.  He is a luxury they can no longer afford.  Thats not kicking someone to the curb, thats bad cap management coming back to bite them.

2.  Why does he have an "attitude concern"?  Because he didn't like the run first offense?  Theilen complained about it too, so why doesnt Theilen get labeled with the same attitude problem?

3.  The fact that the draft IS stocked also makes it possible to poach a top 10 WR from a team who can no longer afford him so they can TRY and replace him with an affordable contract.  

4.  Diggs contract is actually great for his talent level.  Minn has to shed salary, and paying two top end WR's on a team already loaded with other weapons is not a luxury they can afford, especially with how much they run with Cook now.  

5.  We wont be doing anything close to "mortgaging the future" on Diggs, his contract is so easy for our cap situation.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - guys pretty good.  Averages a little under 1000 yards, 6 TDs and like 70 catches.  Has a catch% of around 68% with assorted QBs like Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford.  Can play inside and out.  Athletic enough to fill some of that mckenzie role.  

If they did it, Id like to see them still add a young guy to grow into a role here and compete with foster/duke for that 4/5 spot.  Someone like a Tyler Johnson, Brandon Aiyuk type should they slip into round 3.  

Aiyuk, I don't believe, will be there in round 3.  But yeah, Beane should still draft a WR regardless of Free Agency or trades.

34 minutes ago, nucci said:

what if they don't produce like Diggs has? We need to stop worrying about money and cap space and get to the Superbowl

So I actually do agree with this

We have positioned ourselves so that we can actually compete....we need the final pieces...now is the time.

19 minutes ago, Mickey said:

There is no reason why we cant bring in a vet WR AND draft a WR in this draft

Our WR core basically has two starting caliber players.....and a bunch of jags.

Give Josh some weapons to work with for christ sake

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I understand the desire to draft and develop a guy (or guys) they like, and have him on the cheap for 4-5 years. Sounds reasonable to me.

However, I have to agree with the people saying go for it. Unless we know for sure he is a locker room problem (and I don't see evidence he is) then this is an opportunity to add an elite player to the offense which can only help Allen. Having Diggs as the #1 also makes Brown and Beasley better.

I see all the buzz that the draft is loaded with WR talent and I'll defer to the experts. But as stated by others, the draft is still a crapshoot. The guy we get in the first round? We *HOPE* he becomes a Stefon Diggs.

To add a talent like this, who has several years left on a reasonable contract (and who will be an absolute bargain this year)... I don't think you can pass it up unless it becomes a bidding war. It would also prevent New England from landing him.

I do believe this has leaked to get the interest started early, like intentionally listing a house under its value. For all our sake it's fortunate I'm not the GM of the Bills but assuming he's not a headcase/has an undisclosed injury, I'd offer a 1st round plus. Crazy as it sounds, but my logic is stated above: we'd be good and extremely lucky if whomever we picked in the first becomes as good or better than Diggs.

In a dream world where this happens, I still hope they get that big body, redzone nightmare project later in the draft.

Edited by technobot

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1.  His team isnt kicking him to the curb.  They are in a cap hell with another elite WR on the team, 2 good TEs and a run first offense where the RB is also a dangerous receiver.  He is a luxury they can no longer afford.  Thats not kicking someone to the curb, thats bad cap management coming back to bite them.

They have two WR's and chose to keep the other guy. He apparently was not considered to be the No. 1 WR on that team. 

2.  Why does he have an "attitude concern"?  Because he didn't like the run first offense?  Theilen complained about it too, so why doesnt Theilen get labeled with the same attitude problem?

Never said Theilen didn't have an attitude problem. It is certainly conceivable that they are both jerks. Bottom line, the guys that know Diggs best decided they'd rather keep Theilen.

3.  The fact that the draft IS stocked also makes it possible to poach a top 10 WR from a team who can no longer afford him so they can TRY and replace him with an affordable contract.  

You are correct, most teams are bright enough not to waste resources on a FA WR when the draft is chock full of very talented ones, best ever most say. 

4.  Diggs contract is actually great for his talent level.  Minn has to shed salary, and paying two top end WR's on a team already loaded with other weapons is not a luxury they can afford, especially with how much they run with Cook now.  

Free agents are gambles, it is not at all unusual for guys to flop with their second teams. Part of MN's poor management of the cap is the money they paid Diggs, no? A second round pick is pretty valuable, not a sure thing but still valuable. And 45 million is a lot more than Ceedee Lamb is going to cost or Aiuk.

5.  We wont be doing anything close to "mortgaging the future" on Diggs, his contract is so easy for our cap situation.  

It is a good cap situation because we haven't gone shopping for high priced glitz or helped other teams fix their cap problems. Lets keep it that way.