Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

4 minutes ago, hjnick said:

I agree that the possibility for the Super Bowl is a somewhat real possibility depending on a number of factors, but mostly on Josh Allen continuing to mature/develop.

I don't have a problem bringing in Diggs, but it has to be at the right price. Our first round pick, obviously, should be someone that will be a very productive player for the next 5 years AND also very salary cap friendly. So, I wouldn't give a 1st for Diggs.  A second round pick or lower is pretty acceptable, but I would rather give up 2 3rd round picks and keep this year's second bc of this rich WR crop. 

I wouldn’t want to give up our 1st rd pick either.  I’d consider trading down from 22, accumulating a pick or 2 and then trading that pick.  

I would trade a 2nd or combination of future (non first rd picks)

Our SB window is currently open for business

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Nester said:

Dude had tantrums on the sideline a few times. Not sure if he is a good fit here.

Tyreke Hill beat the hell out of his pregnant girlfriend and just had 105 yards in the Super Bowl.  There’s a line to draw in terms of character but it’s near Tyreke Hill not Stefon Diggs.

Just now, NewEra said:

I wouldn’t want to give up our 1st rd pick either.  I’d consider trading down from 22, accumulating a pick or 2 and then trading that pick.  

That’s why it’s a move that they have to make IMO. A number 1 receiver is their biggest need. Diggs is a number 1 NFL receiver.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I don’t understand why the Vikings are always trying to get rid of him. What’s the deal? 

I

let me start by saying i know nothing about the guy & this is just a personal observation, any time i have ever seen the dude my first impression is that he is a all about me, look at me, watch me, see what i just did type of player with a huge ego !

Yes he is a really good player & can help a team, he is also a #1 WR but is he a process guy ? Is he the type that McD wants to bring here or is he more of a AB type of player that could show his true colors if he's not given everything that he wants & could be more of a detriment to a locker room than a help in the long term ?

We can bet if he is on the block Beane is doing his due diligence & will make what ever move is best for the team !!

1 hour ago, JohnnyGold said:

This will be interesting to watch it play out.

Who's leaking that his value is a second rounder? I would assume Minnesota, which would lead me to make a further assumption: they think they can get more.

Who are they looking to dance with here? I would assume more than one party, as they're trying to drive up the price.

If they're looking for higher than a second round pick, a low first would get it done. Two teams with a low first = Buf and Ne.

Buffalo picks 22, New England 23rd.

If Minnesota called Beane and said "New England has offered us the 23rd pick in the draft, do you want him?" does he pull the trigger on that?
I would.

Pass for a 1st.  Minnesota needs this trade more than Buffalo does.

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I like the idea of trading back and picking up extra picks to trade for Diggs.

Hell, even if we don't trade for him, I still like the idea of trading back and accumulating picks IF 'our guy' isn't there.

There are SO many good WR's in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Someone suggested a 2nd this year with a 3rd next. I’d even use one of those 5ths or 6ths if needed to get it done. They are going to need cheap labor with their cap situation. I’d make that deal in a heartbeat and feels like they may too. I’d even do a 1st if it was needed. It will depend on who is bidding. Diggs is exactly what their team needs.

I rarely think the Bills should go after guys needing high draft picks to acquire but this may be an exception.

Beane definitely should look hard into this option.

Vikings do not have a 5th round pick this year (Bills have 2) so maybe start with the 2nd and 5th in this years draft and get into the conversation.

The good thing about this is IF the Bills get him they have him under contract for 12 million a year with 0 dead money too.

If Diggs didn't work out long term they could (if needed) move him to another team next year to get some draft capital back.

It seems like a low risk move with the chance of a big reward.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, T master said:

Iet me start by saying i know nothing about the guy & this is just a personal observation, any time i have ever seen the dude my first impression is that he is a all about me, look at me, watch me, see what i just did type of player with a huge ego !

Yes he is a really good player & can help a team, he is also a #1 WR but is he a process guy ? Is he the type that McD wants to bring here or is he more of a AB type of player that could show his true colors if he's not given everything that he wants & could be more of a detriment to a locker room than a help in the long term ?

We can bet if he is on the block Beane is doing his due diligence & will make what ever move is best for the team !!

He will throw tantrums when he’s not getting the ball and his team is losing. There’s no way around that. As for being selfish... from what I’ve been told by Vikings fans I know, Diggs also tends to spend his off days doing charity work everything from coat drives to visiting children’s hospitals and handing out turkeys on thanksgiving. I guess Diggs and Kyle Rudolph are the “charity guys” in that locker room. I certainly cannot comment on his work ethic or locker room fit. His antics definitely lean more towards TO than AB. It’ll be Beane, McD, and Daboll doing homework and making a decision. 

34 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I would even give the Vikings a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.  There is no WR that will be available to the Bills in this draft that will as good as Diggs. 

Wrong.

There are many.

That is why this class of WR’s is considered one  the deepest classes in history.

For all the "Process" folks here: If in year 4 our locker room cant handle a guy like Diggs, who isnt even that bad, then we have the wrong guys at HC and GM. The NFL is full of personalities. If McD cant handle a guy like Diggs, then it's time to fire McD.

To clarify, I dont think McD should be fired and I think he CAN handle Diggs. So stop the hand wringing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Happens...the peepers fail sometimes. I remember when I said that Everson Griffen couldn’t win one-on-ones and was grossly overpaid at $7M ?

Speaking of grossly overpaid, how ‘bout the Cards giving DJ Humphries $15M AAV?!?!

Permit me to challenge that thought process just a smidgen?

Isn't a deep WR class a good reason to deal a 1st? The idea being that you can very likely get a long-term starter in round 2?

Bandit, I see you’re point, but isn’t there merit in not offering too much in a deep WR draft.  That’s the leverage not to do it, and offering two even what someone else said a 4th next year is cheap labor for a team skinny in cap space.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I rarely think the Bills should go after guys needing high draft picks to acquire but this may be an exception.

Beane definitely should look hard into this option.

Vikings do not have a 5th round pick this year (Bills have 2) so maybe start with the 2nd and 5th in this years draft and get into the conversation.

The good thing about this is IF the Bills get him they have him under contract for 12 million a year with 0 dead money too.

If Diggs didn't work out long term they could (if needed) move him to another team next year to get some draft capital back.

It seems like a low risk move with the chance of a big reward.

Really good point on the contract!!

Diggs is such a good fit here in that he slides everyone into their natural roles. The receiver room is maybe even a strength (especially after adding a guy in the draft).

How about:

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Bryan Edwards

Duke

Mckenzie

Roberts

• Like (+1) 1

There will be others that can be had as well .. Interesting article by CBSSports documenting some of the worst positioned teams and the sacrifices they may need to make. This is why you do not overspend on any one player as you quickly get into an uncomfortable cap position.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-2020-these-five-teams-are-facing-difficult-personnel-decisions-cap-issues-and-more/

42 minutes ago, T master said:

I

let me start by saying i know nothing about the guy & this is just a personal observation, any time i have ever seen the dude my first impression is that he is a all about me, look at me, watch me, see what i just did type of player with a huge ego !

he's a really good WR who would help this team win....is that a good enough process for you?

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

he's a really good WR who would help this team win....is that a good enough process for you?

So could AB but i wouldn't have him as a water boy for the Bills !! Just my opinion but like i said i know nothing about the guy as long as he can keep it together & isn't a problem then bring him in !! 

Edited by T master

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Really good point on the contract!!

I assume if we trade for Diggs we would have to immeditately re-do his contract and get him some new guaranteed money. Exactly like we did with Shady.

Frankly, this is all VERY similar to the Shady trade, and I'd say the Shady trade worked out pretty well for us. Alonso was a 2nd round pick so similar compensation. The need to re-do Diggs' contract. The type of personality which can be flashy and seen as selfish, but isnt really. The main difference I see is that Diggs is still in his prime where Shady was on the backside of it.

1 minute ago, T master said:

So could AB but i wouldn't have him as a water boy for the Bills !! Just my opinion but like i said i know nothing about the guy as long as he can keep it together & isn't a problem then bring him in !! 

He is not an AB. That is extreme and unfair to compare anyone to.

He's a talented WR. Theyre all a little bit of divas, but our locker room should be built to handle that level of player. If McD can't handle a typical player like Diggs, then McD isnt a good coach. (IMO, he CAN handle Diggs)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I assume if we trade for Diggs we would have to immeditately re-do his contract and get him some new guaranteed money. Exactly like we did with Shady.

Frankly, this is all VERY similar to the Shady trade, and I'd say the Shady trade worked out pretty well for us. Alonso was a 2nd round pick so similar compensation. The need to re-do Diggs' contract. The type of personality which can be flashy and seen as selfish, but isnt really. The main difference I see is that Diggs is still in his prime where Shady was on the backside of it.

He is not an AB. That is extreme and unfair to compare anyone to.

He's a talented WR. Theyre all a little bit of divas, but our locker room should be built to handle that level of player. If McD can't handle a typical player like Diggs, then McD isnt a good coach. (IMO, he CAN handle Diggs)

Thanks for the insight alls i've ever seen is him trying to be TO like after a catch or a TD but i'm all for a guy that can help Josh & the team get to the next level !!