Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's some stuff written up on this by the Denver ESPN guy (their Marcel L-J) suggesting a 3rd is the highest appropriate.

The Vikes have a couple guys they could move on from and clear $12-13M cap.  Trading Diggs would only get them $5.5

I'm not sure that's correct.  I couldn't copy it but if you mouse over 2020 on his OvertheCap entry it says it's a player option to void the contract - Feb 25th

https://overthecap.com/player/everson-griffen/1774/

IMO Griffen would be foolish to do that.  He can still ball, no question, but I do think he's declined a bit last 2 years.  He might renegotiate again though.

Not sure. Spotrac has it listed as a club option.

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

I wish people would stop with the “adding diva WR’s” from other teams theme.

Adding Diggs could easily turn south in the way OBJ did for Cleveland.

I can see both sides of the argument here.

I’m in the minority here because adding a diva WR to team that is trying to win can go south in a hurry. Just ask Cleveland.

I haven't heard a peep about Beckham being the problem in Cleveland.  If anything, I've heard that Cleveland isn't utilizing him.

10 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I haven't heard a peep about Beckham being the problem in Cleveland.  If anything, I've heard that Cleveland isn't utilizing him.

Because he wasn't the problem. The poster you quoted just wants him to be. Kitchens was a problem. The awful OL and pass protection was a problem. Baker bailing from the pocket because of the awful protection was a problem. The WR were fine

This will be interesting to watch it play out.

Who's leaking that his value is a second rounder? I would assume Minnesota, which would lead me to make a further assumption: they think they can get more.

Who are they looking to dance with here? I would assume more than one party, as they're trying to drive up the price.

If they're looking for higher than a second round pick, a low first would get it done. Two teams with a low first = Buf and Ne.

Buffalo picks 22, New England 23rd.

If Minnesota called Beane and said "New England has offered us the 23rd pick in the draft, do you want him?" does he pull the trigger on that?
I would.

Time to cue up the video where the guy questions the Vikings players who they least want dating their sister. Diggs the unanimous winner. Crazy and unstable seemed to be the best words to describe the guy. The Vikings are looking to get something for their most overrated player. I would rather draft a WR high in this draft than trade for Diggs. So much talent in this draft at WR and you get them for 4-5 years at a good cap number.

• Like (+1) 1

If this is true, get this man.

Just now, turftoe said:

Time to cue up the video where the guy questions the Vikings players who they least want dating their sister. Diggs the unanimous winner. Crazy and unstable seemed to be the best words to describe the guy. The Vikings are looking to get something for their most overrated player. I would rather draft a WR high in this draft than trade for Diggs. So much talent in this draft at WR and you get them for 4-5 years at a good cap number.

Instead, we could get a DE for 4-5 years at a good cap number.

Get Diggs if at all possible.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

He's not the prototypical kind of character guy that they normally would go after but I do believe that Beane feels secure enough with the character of the locker room that they could make the move.   My hunch is that they won't want to trade a first rounder for him which means they may lose out on him but his contract level, age and production is certainly appealing.  I'm thinking they'd be willing to give up a 2nd and a 4th for him.  Not sure that would be enough but that's probably the limit that they'd be willing to offer.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Because he wasn't the problem. The poster you quoted just wants him to be. Kitchens was a problem. The awful OL and pass protection was a problem. Baker bailing from the pocket because of the awful protection was a problem. The WR were fine

I’m just going by team results and I’m not as thrilled as everyone else about Diggs swinging the pendulum in the Bills favor.

I’m not against a Diggs trade though, but I’m more than ok with it if the Bills don’t trade for him.

Trade for David Johnson, take on his salary and get a 3rd round pick from AZ. Use that 3rd and a 4th this year to send to the Vikings for Diggs. The Bills have the money to take on these contracts and besides money if the Vikings were willing to take the deal the Bills would be out a 4th round pick. I also think when healthy David Johnson would really help the Bills passing game out of the backfield.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Magox said:

He's not the prototypical kind of character guy that they normally would go after but I do believe that Beane feels secure enough with the character of the locker room that they could make the move.   My hunch is that they won't want to trade a first rounder for him which means they may lose out on him but his contract level, age and production is certainly appealing.  I'm thinking they'd be willing to give up a 2nd and a 4th for him.  Not sure that would be enough but that's probably the limit that they'd be willing to offer.

This sounds very Beane like to me, it really depends on how their draft board coincides with their FA board as to priority.

Under the right circumstances it may play out and we do a first, as “unlikely” as that may sound, but if they did a first there is no way I see an additional lower pick on top of that, if we did a second then I could see them adding a fourth as you said.        

Always fun to speculate, tons of opinions being aired, and no one knows how it will play out. This is the type of off season that could very well push the Bills into a big time contender.     Fingers crossed that it all works out. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Bills Super bowl window is open for business in 2020 with JA, Tre, Dawkins and others still on rookie deals..

I think it’s now time to be bringing in established difference makers like Diggs where they have a need at the position..

Beane seems to have a reasonable eye for talent in the draft but you are rolling the dice with picks 22 and 54 and and you will probably need to have some patience with the results ...

I could see him trading that Pick 22 ... not necessarily only  for Diggs but for someone that is going to come in and make an immeadiate difference..

I agree that the possibility for the Super Bowl is a somewhat real possibility depending on a number of factors, but mostly on Josh Allen continuing to mature/develop.

I don't have a problem bringing in Diggs, but it has to be at the right price. Our first round pick, obviously, should be someone that will be a very productive player for the next 5 years AND also very salary cap friendly. So, I wouldn't give a 1st for Diggs.  A second round pick or lower is pretty acceptable, but I would rather give up 2 3rd round picks and keep this year's second bc of this rich WR crop. 

Someone suggested a 2nd this year with a 3rd next. I’d even use one of those 5ths or 6ths if needed to get it done. They are going to need cheap labor with their cap situation. I’d make that deal in a heartbeat and feels like they may too. I’d even do a 1st if it was needed. It will depend on who is bidding. Diggs is exactly what their team needs.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Nester said:

Dude had tantrums on the sideline a few times. Not sure if he is a good fit here.

In my opinion, part of establishing "a culture" and trusting "the process" is to be able to bring guys like this into the fold. 

Unfortunately, the reality of the National Football League is that some of the athletes that play the sport have slightly less than sterling character. The current Super Bowl champions, in fact, employ a few guys that fit this description.

(I would argue that everyone walking the face of the Earth has less than sterling character, but the majority of us don't live in the public eye--but that's another conversation..)

New England is a great organization, and they take on risks: Moss, Haynesworth, AB, etc. They take on the risks because they have such a solid foundation that they're not worried about those personalities corrupting the organization.

Cleveland is a not-so-great organization, and they take on risks: OBJ, Mayfield, Johnny Football, etc. They take on risks because there is no foundation, and they're worried about selling tickets and getting a quick fix turnaround.

The difference between where Buffalo was, say, with the TO signing--or even the McCoy trade--and now, is that we have a winning culture that guys are walking in to. So rather than taking a risk on a guy like AB, or Diggs, and hoping that their talent propels us to 12 wins and, in turn, makes us a legitimate organization... we already ARE a legitimate organization, and can cut bait with guys before they have a chance to get the key to the city, so to speak.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ALF said:

I would only offer a 3rd pick due to it being a deep draft for WR and his big contract. I would want to improve the OL in free agency as a priority.

Yup, the O line does need a boost, lots to consider for getting things done correctly.