Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Bingo. Or better yet “why take on that contract when we can draft a cheaper option?” 

I know!! Next thing people will start saying you should look both ways before you cross the street! Or that you have to look at all the consequences of major actions!! It's crazy the things people will say.

As far as Diggs specifically, I'd consider it. I'd have to know a lot more. If he's angry with them for only getting him 1190 yards last year he might not be a good fit here.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don’t hate the idea, but there’s a lot of red flags. 

- why is a team wanting to give up its best weapon?

- what differentiates him from other diva receivers we’ve seen moved lately? (Moves that at the time seemed like no-brainers for the buyers, but turned out to be huge wins for the sellers) 

- is he going to want more money? If so, how much?

- is it better to trade commodities and pay him as opposed to getting someone in this loaded draft class?

Because they aren't, Thielen is then Cook

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Cook is pry their best weapon but salary cap reasons come into play.  

He doesn't punch nets or call GM's crackers.

i'm a little confused here - are you saying Diggs does not do those things?  I agree, he does not.  The Vikes did a fluff locker room piece where a bunch of players said he was the guy they least wanted to date their sister.  Josh Allen's older sister is married.  The younger I think is a rising college sophomore.  No factor.  Memo to everyone else:  Keep your sisters away from Diggs.  Problem solved.

He's making around 14.4 million a year so that puts him just outside the top 10 in terms of average annual salary. 

He's got a cap hit of $14.5M, but the receiving team would only get his annual salary and bonuses of around $11.5-$12

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I know that Beane values draft picks, but I don't know how you pass this up for a 2nd rounder if he can get it done.  As another wise poster noted above, there is a learning curve for the WR position for most coming out of college and I don't think it's a pie in the sky statement to to say that the Bills are entering a window where they can compete for a Championship with Allen still on his rookie contract.  To bring in a polished elite WR right now with no learning curve would be huge for this roster.

So very true. We don't have the time or luxury to wait 2-3 years for a young wr to develop.  We have to strike now over these next 3-4 years before big contracts come up. Trade for Diggs, sign Hunter Henry to compliment Knox and draft Tee Higgins or Reagor to learn. Our offense would explode.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He wound up being unhappy to the tune of 94 targets and 1130 yds.

Exactly. Just for comparison Allen Robinson had 158. Tyler Boyd had 148, DJ Moore had 135, etc.  Hell, John Brown had 115.  Let's assume for a moment that Diggs sees himself as minimally a 140 target WR.  Where are those targets coming from in this offense?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure that's true.  Teams took Thielen away and Diggs got opportunities, would have some truth to it.  But Diggs did go hard IMO.

I mean, Diggs had nearly 3x the yardage of Theilan. At some point teams stop “taking away” the guy who isn’t producing and cover the guy is. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

yeah, and that’s no fault of his. But Diggs is the better athlete, and I think most people would take Diggs over Theilen straight up. 

Yup.

He’s progressively gotten better every year. He averaged a ridiculous 12.0 yards per target in 2019, which makes him a great fit for a QB that was top-5 in air yards per attempt.

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, Diggs had nearly 3x the yardage of Theilan. At some point teams stop “taking away” the guy who isn’t producing and cover the guy is. 

Theilen was hurt early in Game 7 and didn't come back to full snaps until game 15.  Before he was hurt, Theilen was pulling in 61 ypg.  That's less than Diggs ended up with (75) but it's not 3x less.

Diggs did have a pahty in some of those Theilan-lessgames, but in others he got shut down. When they were both there, it was kind of "pick your poison" for other teams.

Don't mistake me I like Diggs.  If they want to trade him, we should be "IN".

• Like (+1) 1