Olsen to Seattle!

BillsMafi$

12 hours ago, Manther said:

I would agree he can play about 10 games.  Maybe, 12 tops.  For that price on a one year deal, I would like Olsen.  

If Olsen likes Seattle more than Buffalo (for various/known reasons).  If we paid Olsen $7M, $8M, $9M he wouldn't sign here IMO.  

Time will tell for sure!

15 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Per Adam Shefter 

Former Panthers’ TE Greg Olsen is signing a one-year, $7 million deal that includes $5.5M gtd with the Seahawks, per source. Olsen visited and negotiated with Buffalo, Seattle and Washington but felt most comfortable with the Seahawks.

Curious as to why you included a ! in the title.  Does this Seattle signing excite you?  How many ! would you use if the Bills had signed him?

15 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The fish that slipped off the hook!

I dont even think it was ever ON the hook, just floated by looked at the bait(Bills) and thought..probably something a bit more appetizing(better overall team with a better QB for SURE) around here the fish found what he liked more ;) .   IMO Seattles got the Qb for a SB and possibly a better overall team but 100% for SURE the better QB..Olsens on his last legs 1-2 years in league and thought to go with the team thats got the better shot at a SB IMO.

16 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

This tells me we don’t have a good enough QB to attract FA’s...

OR it tells you the Seahawks offered him more money, but lets not let that possibility get in the way of your narrative. Its always better to choose a narrative to fit what your thinking and reject all other possible narratives that don't fit.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It could be any number of things.  More $, a more established QB, a team with a better track record in recent years, the lure of a larger, more cosmopolitan city and/or the Pacific NW.  Who knows?  Olsen would have been a nice add for the Bills, but he's not exactly inexpensive, he's at an advanced age/past his prime and is often injured.  Not a huge loss, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

The Good Morning Football host said on air that he interviewed Allen on the red carpet at NFL Honors.  Said when he told Josh his favorite Bill was Dawson Knox, Josh went off on a monologue about how much he loved the young TE, how physical he is, what a star he was going to be.

Then this week the Twitterverse showed Allen sandwiched between Knox and Sweeney at a Sabres game drinking down a Beeramid and having a good time.

Does anyone else think maybe Olsen looked at that and it played a role in his decision he didn’t want to compete with the TE “Bromance”?

Or would a Stud player (and Olsen is a legit stud) be unconcerned like, “I’ll come in and show Allen what throwing to a real TE looks like”?

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No . I'm guessing he liked the opportunity to play with Wilson over Allen as has been reported. 

I think Olsen looked at 3 different options:

Washington - Closest to current Carolina home and familiar coach

Buffalo - Up and coming and familiar coach

Seattle - Far away and unfamiliar staff, but established team and QB

I dont blame him for wanting to go to Seattle at this point of his career, where he can just mesh right in and do his job without having the pressure of bringing a young QB and still-forming team along.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

The Good Morning Football host said on air that he interviewed Allen on the red carpet at NFL Honors.  Said when he told Josh his favorite Bill was Dawson Knox, Josh went off on a monologue about how much he loved the young TE, how physical he is, what a star he was going to be.

Then this week the Twitterverse showed Allen sandwiched between Knox and Sweeney at a Sabres game drinking down a Beeramid and having a good time.

Does anyone else think maybe Olsen looked at that and it played a role in his decision he didn’t want to compete with the TE “Bromance”?

Or would a Stud player (and Olsen is a legit stud) be unconcerned like, “I’ll come in and show Allen what throwing to a real TE looks like”?

You are awarded an "A" for imagination. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Given what Olsen produced last year and his lifetime body of work, I don't think signing him would have been a colossal mistake.  I think teams that are close need to look for talent all over the place - other team's throw aways, FA, draft , trade.

If Beane had a price and Seattle out-bid him, I'm fine with that.

If Seattle looked like a more desirable spot to him because Wilson, I'm fine with that too.  I do think the level of competition in the Seattle TE room may be lower.

Totally agree Hap. Wasn't against signing him as I thought he'd be a good pick up and still productive player. I was referring to compensation and where we are as a team. No doubt we were outbid by Seattle and the appeal to play with Wilson was too enticing. Also, Washington is a No Income Tax state.which is always a factor. 7 mil is a lot for a 34 yo TE,  IMO. 

Pretty good article from Parrino / NYUp on the TE situation

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/02/buffalo-bills-dont-land-greg-olsen-who-signs-with-seahawks-now-what.html

Parrino's take is:

-To start off with Buffalo has two promising young players at the position in Dawson Knox and Tommy Sweeney. One of the reasons Olsen may have spurned the Bills is because he didn’t see the kind of opportunity for playing time in Buffalo. A look at the Seahawks depth chart and it’s clear more snaps are available out west.

I don't know how much that would or wouldn't weigh.  I think stud players tend to think "yeah, you're OK, I walk in there and I'm the Daddy now"

-The prevailing wisdom was that if Olsen had signed with the Bills that would have coincided with the end of Kroft’s tenure in Buffalo.  Kroft may not be safe, even still. The Bills could look to the free agent market next month to add at the position.  Targets that are out there include the likes of Austin Hooper, Hunter Henry and Eric Ebron. But those players are all going to cost more than Olsen and they’re going to get multi-year deals. Bills general manager Brandon Beane was clear at the end of the season. Buffalo isn’t likely to go “big game fishing" in free agency. That means that the target could be a player fans aren’t expecting, like Luke Wilson or Ricky Seals-Jones. Beane could still look to bring in someone to compete with Kroft.

Can someone talk to me about Luke Wilson and Ricky Seals-Jones?  Tell me why I would want to see them in a Bills uniform.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Since 2012 - 8 years - Seattle has always had a winning record and finshed 1st or 2nd in the NFC West, qualifying for the playoffs in 7 out those 8 years, only missing out in 2017 when they finished 9-7. They have won the NFC West 3 times in that span.

We cannot compete with that culture of winnning at all, yet.....

If Buffalo can win the AFC East in 2020 it will really show to other free agents that Buffalo is truly on the rise with a core of young, hungry players - White, Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, Knox and others.

I am curious, for the 2020 season only, would you rather be in the shoes of Seattle or Buffalo?

NFC West will be tough, 49ers and the Rams both are worthy opponents and Arizona has year 2 of the Kingsbury/Murray combination and I expect there to be progress.

AFC East has a champion in NE with question marks at QB and he'll be 43, should he return, Miami is dangerous and rebuilding but very beatable, Jets are clueless so it seems and Buffalo, I hope, is ready to pounce and bring their home first AFC East title since 1995.

Indianapolis has a more recent AFC East title (1999)! I really hope 2020 is our year.   

Thanks Mr Olsen, I hope BB and SM take note and motivate the team to win.

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No biggie, next.

we're better

Better at what? QB? Nope. Winning games? They haven't been below 9 wins since 2011, we are just now getting 9-10 wins within the same decade. They have been in the playoffs 6 out of the last 7 years. 

Or are we better something that doesn't effect wins and losses like how often the players go bowling or drinking a lot of beer at a sabres game...don't get me wrong, I believe in team chemistry and good culture but you still have to play and win games. 

This is something we need to really start getting straight. We are acting like we are THE team after a nice season but what did we really accomplish? Got booted out of the wildcard round twice in three years. Slow down my friend.