Olsen to Seattle!

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Jesus Christ. Any team that is still developing in their 4th year of a rebuild is a total fail. 

You are going to be very pissed on a regular basis then, as the FO mantra is one of 'continuous improvement' and that implies development.

In any given year, it could be assumed that the only team that doesn't need development, are the Champions.

Guess what, it took KC 6-7 years to go from a rebuild to the SB champs. If the Bills do the same, I won't be unhappy. You will probably still be pissed, about something .

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We can all benefit from more wide-ranging and thorough discussion of FA target Austin Hooper.

I suggested we go after him upthread. Don't really know why anyone would be against bringing him in.

I live in Atlanta and Hooper is a very good, reliable target. Atlanta can't afford him. We have the cap room to go get him.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I suggested we go after him upthread. Don't really know why anyone would be against bringing him in.

I live in Atlanta and Hooper is a very good, reliable target. Atlanta can't afford him. We have the cap room to go get him.

I've been saying for weeks that Hooper is the receiving target I would most like to see us push for.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You being all privy to the negotiations and knowing it had nothing to do with maybe Beane stopping the bidding at $5.5M fully guaranteed and Seattle "sweetening the pot" to $7M?

Which part of “all other things being equal” didn’t you understand?  Also I still stand by my assessment that a vet looking at his last chance at a ring will choose the most likely path towards that goal 

1 hour ago, rayray808 said:

If Olsen was that good, he would still be a Panther

Cmon man .... the NFL isn’t that simple since the salary cap came into existence ... be better

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

On one hand you have a Super Bowl caliper coach, with multiple appearances and a win. 

On the other, a coach who cracks under pressure and can’t get over the hump to beat a divisional rival. Plays conservative to the point of recklessness. 

Which one would you chose?

To be fair, it took 8 seasons as HC on his third team for Pete Carroll to win a Super Bowl. McD just completed his 3rd season and has reached the playoffs 2 out of those 3.

Oh and their records in their first 3 seasons as HC - identical at 25-23. Sure Carroll is much more accomplished, but he also has been HC for 14 seasons so it should be expected that he is much more accomplished given his tenure. 

2 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Greg Olsen really liked Buffalo and Washington, and strongly considered both. But the lure of playing with Russell Wilson in Seattle was just too strong. Olsen takes a 1-year, $7 million deal with the Seahawks.

-Shefter 

At least he will be able to watch the SB at home now that he isn’t gonna be in Buffalo.  Nobody is getting past SF in the NFC.

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

McD isn’t Pete Carroll. Not yet at least.

Russell Wilson made him? He’s never started from nothing?

What are you even talking about? ?He drafted Wilson and made a bold decision to start him as a rookie. Does he get any credit for developing him? 

Guy won a Super Bowl. McD hasn’t even won a playoffIf

Please look over this roster Pete Carroll tool over in 2010...

A lot of the same players who took him to a Super Bowl. That team was loaded. Yeah he hit gold in Russell Wilson, who also played with most of that squad, with even better players at some positions.

Now look at the Bills 2017 roster, the craptastic team and McD got them to the playoffs. Ever since Pete has taken over it’s been a place FA desire. They’ve had things going right for them a team built there even before Carroll. So he got lucky drafting Russell Wilson, now he’s a great coach? The rosters McD has had over the past 3 seasons, the difficulties bringing in FAs etc, I doubt Carroll could have done what McD has, at best it’s equal. Carroll ain’t that great.

2010 Seahawks - OL one of the best, Solid TEs, Lynch, good WRs, Secondary one of the best, Great DLine, Curry was one of the best LBs in football at the time....  he took over a franchise is Super Bowl contending shape. McD took over a team that had not made the playoffs in 17 years!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2010_roster.htm

11 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Please look over this roster Pete Carroll tool over in 2010...

A lot of the same players who took him to a Super Bowl. That team was loaded. Yeah he hit gold in Russell Wilson, who also played with most of that squad, with even better players at some positions.

Now look at the Bills 2017 roster, the craptastic team and McD got them to the playoffs. Ever since Pete has taken over it’s been a place FA desire. They’ve had things going right for them a team built there even before Carroll. So he got lucky drafting Russell Wilson, now he’s a great coach? The rosters McD has had over the past 3 seasons, the difficulties bringing in FAs etc, I doubt Carroll could have done what McD has, at best it’s equal. Carroll ain’t that great.

2010 Seahawks - OL one of the best, Solid TEs, Lynch, good WRs, Secondary one of the best, Great DLine, Curry was one of the best LBs in football at the time....  he took over a franchise is Super Bowl contending shape. McD took over a team that had not made the playoffs in 17 years!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2010_roster.htm

Carroll didn't inherit that 2010 roster; he built it. He was hired in Jan '10 and given full control over personnel.  The link below paints a much more accurate picture of what he actually inherited:  Matt Hasselbeck, Edgerrin James, TJ Whosyourmama, etc.  They were an aging team that had gone 4-11 and 5-12 in the 2 years prior to Carroll's arrival.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2009_roster.htm

This is not to say that he's a better coach than McDermott, but the fact that Carroll is one of the best acquirors of talent in the game shouldn't be held against him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

This signing and their W-L record the past 10 years tell me Seattle is better than Buffalo and Olsen's chances of winning a championship improve by playing on a better team.  

Past results have no bearing on the future.

Seattle is good but there is a very good chance we are the better team next year.

I get Greg’s choice but I , for one, think he screwed the pooch on this one.

Our D has the potential to be better and so does our O.