The Airplane Seat Incident.

Niagara Bill

We have all seen the video of some guy banging on the back of the airplane seat, presumably because he is pissed at the women for putting her seat in recline position.

She said she waited for the meal........He said yada yada...everyone debates the 32 inches between seats, is it proper to recline during meals, or only on overnight flights, or flights longer than 4 hours etc. etc.

Here is real issue.

Would this punk have the balls to do that to a guy. It looks to me like he is a bully to the women in front of him. My glass of red wine would have been all over that sob if I had been in that seat.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

My position is that anyone who reclines their seat *at all* let alone all the way on an airplane ride is a total douche.  

We all know how much it sucks to have that seat go back in front of us, we are all in the same boat stuffed in there like sardines to begin with, and then to just say "F YOU!" and go full recline is, as I wrote, a total douche move.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

We have all seen the video of some guy banging on the back of the airplane seat, presumably because he is pissed at the women for putting her seat in recline position.

She said she waited for the meal........He said yada yada...everyone debates the 32 inches between seats, is it proper to recline during meals, or only on overnight flights, or flights longer than 4 hours etc. etc.

Here is real issue.

Would this punk have the balls to do that to a guy. It looks to me like he is a bully to the women in front of him. My glass of red wine would have been all over that sob if I had been in that seat.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

the wrestler Tyrus gave his view on Gutfeld's show Saturday, there probably wouldn't have been a first tap on the seat, certainly not a second.

I witnessed probably the rudest moment of seat etiquette the last time I flew.  The second he sat down, this 20-something kid in the aisle across from me put his knees up on the back of the seat, at around his chest level, and gave a good push.  Over the course of the flight (fortunately a short one) he continued to slouch further and further down.  By the end of the flight, his ass was completely off the end of his seat.  Meanwhile, this super timid college aged girl was in front of him, was clearly frustrated, but wouldn't say anything.  Meanwhile, the flight attendant walked by several times too and didn't bother to do anything.

I'm probably an ass for not saying anything, but I wasn't going to cause a scene.

If the airlines would remove the last row of seats, on all types, and give people a little more leg room, maybe this "problem" would go away.  On the other hand, why not just disable the recline feature from the seats.  If people are too immature to properly manage it, just take it away.  Not sure it would be missed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have reclined and have had others recline in front of me. It never bothered me and I never would have thought it was being rude to others. I don't fully understand the complaint of losing a couple inches of dead space. It seems like plenty of people agree that it's rude, so that's enough for me to ditch it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Those two people were infantile. I also think there is more to the story because the lady was issued a written warning that she would be prosecuted for unruly behavior. 

That said, my own personal rule is: (1) I never recline Out of courtesy to others; (2) but there is nothing preventing others from reclining.

after your super bowl party thread we are all shocked by your rule...

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

after your super bowl party thread we are all shocked by your rule...

He also carries on enough snacks and drinks for everybody onboard. 

:)

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I'm a taller guy, and I have no problem with the person in front of me reclining. I mean, I already have no legroom, and the reclined seat changes nothing.

And hell yes, I recline too.

I never really got people freaking out over it. Not my favorite when people recline but I’m y’all too and never really effected me much. Feels like people are just angry to begin with and use this as a spot to vent 

• Like (+1) 1

Seating arrangements on airplanes nowadays pretty much suck azz any way you slice it. I don’t find the extra space reclining takes to be an I issue, as simple geometry dictates that the bottom of the seat is the axis and barely moves, while the headrest area might move back two inches max.  In my estimation,  dude is a douche and would have been dealt with accordingly. 

• Like (+1) 2

So glad that you brought this topic up!! It’s something that we need to discuss. My opinion is going to be weak though.

They are both a-holes. I fly a decent amount (probably a trip and a half a month) and am a regular sized man. I will NEVER recline my seat because I hate when someone does it to me. No one likes that. If everyone took the “do unto others” approach we’d never have to worry about reclined seats. 

Now the guy is just an a-hole. It would be one thing if he quickly bumped it pretty hard “inadvertently” sending a message. The pettiness of the constant banging shows that he needs to get a life. 

So to recap:

seat recliner person = terrible

punch seat recliner person = terrible

person that tries to deplane prior to their row = worse than the other 2

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1