The Airplane Seat Incident.

Niagara Bill

12 hours ago, Bakin said:

That’s fine and dandy if the flight is half full. 
If not then you got boned when you could be more comfortable’ for $26 for the next 3-4 hours. It’s worth it. 

Actually, if the plane is half full, they're going to assign you a normal seat at the gate.  When it's full, the only seats that haven't been assigned are the extra leg ones because no one wants to pay for them.  It's either those or the seats they have for their loyalty program, whatever they call it.

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

Actually, if the plane is half full, they're going to assign you a normal seat at the gate.  When it's full, the only seats that haven't been assigned are the extra leg ones because no one wants to pay for them.  It's either those or the seats they have for their loyalty program, whatever they call it.

As I say, i think this is really smart unless there is an aisle seat that looks good to me. If I am middle or window only options, going to try this route from now on

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

As I say, i think this is really smart unless there is an aisle seat that looks good to me. If I am middle or window only options, going to try this route from now on

I'm typically on planes with two seats on each side, so a bigger plane may complicate things.  I could see people willing to pay rather than get stuck in the middle seat.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I'm typically on planes with two seats on each side, so a bigger plane may complicate things.  I could see people willing to pay rather than get stuck in the middle seat.

It just depends on what the customer values.  You do your thing and someone else feels more comfortable paying the extra $.  The airlines just have to understand they have a complex customer base and how to exploit it for some extra profit.  But I doubt they'll hit a cash cow on any of it, they just have to be content to play small ball. 

20 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

The airlines just have to understand they have a complex customer base and how to exploit it for some extra profit.  But I doubt they'll hit a cash cow on any of it, they just have to be content to play small ball. 

They absolutely understand the customer base.

They monitor it hundreds of thousands of times per day.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

i always select my seat beforehand. 
sometimes there is an empty row which I will bust into if given the chance. Otherwise, you get the seat you pick or were given. 

I had the pleasure of having a flight from Detroit to Buffalo canceled on Sunday for no apparent reason but "mechanical failure" as the plane I was supposed to catch never arrived from it's original destination but the no official word what happened. Makes little sense given the weather conditions were nice etc. So not only did I have to wait in the airport 7 hours I got put on a flight on Monday morning that departed at 6:00 am. All I can say is Delta's customer service at the desk was pretty poor as first they told us we'd be reassigned to a new flight within 10 minutes (which we did) but then lied that another carrier was going to pick up our flight (aka false hope we'd have a chance to leave Sunday) and then told that we wouldn't have to reprint our boarding passes cause the app would auto update the info to only be told on Monday we did in fact had to reprint our boarding passes when tried to get through security. Glad I got there early enough to not have to wait too long once got back to security checkpoint. 

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I had the pleasure of having a flight from Detroit to Buffalo canceled on Sunday for no apparent reason but "mechanical failure" as the plane I was supposed to catch never arrived from it's original destination but the no official word what happened. Makes little sense given the weather conditions were nice etc. So not only did I have to wait in the airport 7 hours I got put on a flight on Monday morning that departed at 6:00 am. All I can say is Delta's customer service at the desk was pretty poor as first they told us we'd be reassigned to a new flight within 10 minutes (which we did) but then lied that another carrier was going to pick up our flight (aka false hope we'd have a chance to leave Sunday) and then told that we wouldn't have to reprint our boarding passes cause the app would auto update the info to only be told on Monday we did in fact had to reprint our boarding passes when tried to get through security. Glad I got there early enough to not have to wait too long once got back to security checkpoint. 

it's why i cannot ever see myself getting on a plane outside of business purposes.

the better one was at Little Rock being told there would be a 2 hour delay for maintenance, then announcing boarding 30 seconds later, i guess they decided to go with the sparse number of passengers after all  :D