J Ledyard on scouting Edge Rushers

Reed83HOF

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

So, about my boy Greenard...

Dont know what your thoughts on him are but would like to hear.  I put the Greenard tape in the other day.  I really liked what I saw but his athleticism had me a bit worried (Mizzou LT seemed to have his number).  He may have that elite hand usage though.  The rip and swim across the OL is pretty deadly.  I'll say that I think Greenard looked to be winning his 1 on 1 match ups at a high rate and wasnt just the benefit of pressure from others.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Sounds like he has a lot to say about LB

Maybe he should stick to that and not talk about QBs like Josh Allen

But isn’t that the point.  I think a lot of the doubters would have felt much better  about Allen if he was more of a dominant college player.  College production doesn’t guarantee anything but lack of dominance can be a red flag, especially for a real high pick.

Clowney had like 3 sacks his last year in college.  While he has become a good player, he is hardly a game changer pass rusher.  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But isn’t that the point.  I think a lot of the doubters would have felt much better  about Allen if he was more of a dominant college player.  College production doesn’t guarantee anything but lack of dominance can be a red flag, especially for a real high pick.

Clowney had like 3 sacks his last year in college.  While he has become a good player, he is hardly a game changer pass rusher.  

Ledlard stuck to his idiotic opinion even you saw the signs of productivity of Josh Allen...he had EVERY opportunity to reverse himsel on his opinion and at least give SOME credit to Josh but he was too stubborn for that.

Start QBs are hard to find.....Josh made a big jump from year 1 to year 2......CRICKETS from Ledlard on that

13 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Dont know what your thoughts on him are but would like to hear.  I put the Greenard tape in the other day.  I really liked what I saw but his athleticism had me a bit worried (Mizzou LT seemed to have his number).  He may have that elite hand usage though.  The rip and swim across the OL is pretty deadly.  I'll say that I think Greenard looked to be winning his 1 on 1 match ups at a high rate and wasnt just the benefit of pressure from others.

This is pretty much where I am. I focussed in on him over the weekend after Bandit was raving about him last week. I saw some of what Bandit loved... the ability to do a number of different things - lines up right across the line and can rush from both sides and has some moves.

Hand usage - check

Power - check

Versatility - check

Effort - check

Athleticism (speed and bend) - suboptimal.

I am still struggling with this EDGE class. Young is out way on his own. I think Chaisson's ceiling is very high - he has the length, the speed, the athletic ability and the versatility but you are taking a gamble on that delivering increased production at the NFL level compared to college and every time I get close to shifting him up out of my "borderline 1st / 2nd" grade territory into my "true 1st rounder" territory that Georgia tape where I thought Andrew Thomas (an NFL level left tackle) really got the better of him just holds me back. There is lot to like about all of Gross-Matos, Epenesa, Greenard and my guy Bradlee Anae (and I certainly don't think Greenard and Anae are a tier below those other guys in the way that they have probably been seen by the consensus so far) but sorting through them and ranking them is a challenge and I think they all fall in my top end of the 2nd or borderline category rather than my 1st round category.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is pretty much where I am. I focussed in on him over the weekend after Bandit was raving about him last week. I saw some of what Bandit loved... the ability to do a number of different things - lines up right across the line and can rush from both sides and has some moves.

Hand usage - check

Power - check

Versatility - check

Effort - check

Athleticism (speed and bend) - suboptimal.

I am still struggling with this EDGE class. Young is out way on his own. I think Chaisson's ceiling is very high - he has the length, the speed, the athletic ability and the versatility but you are taking a gamble on that delivering increased production at the NFL level compared to college and every time I get close to shifting him up out of my "borderline 1st / 2nd" grade territory into my "true 1st rounder" territory that Georgia tape where I thought Andrew Thomas (an NFL level left tackle) really got the better of him just holds me back. There is lot to like about all of Gross-Matos, Epenesa, Greenard and my guy Bradlee Anae (and I certainly don't think Greenard and Anae are a tier below those other guys in the way that they have probably been seen by the consensus so far) but sorting through them and ranking them is a challenge and I think they all fall in my top end of the 2nd or borderline category rather than my 1st round category.

Thanks. Good to hear someone else is seeing similar things. Honestly when I saw Greenard I thought of LorAx a lot not sure his draft position is gonna be worth that role though.

I need to put the Chaisson tape on but have heard similar comments about him. I really did not like the Gross Matos tape. Anae was pretty good for the one game I watched but I’ll put that one back in. Honestly Epenesa I thought was clearly the best of the next tier and i would be very happy with him in April