Cracked iPad glass

Chandler#81

A shift relief co-worker picked up my iPad this morning, not realizing it was plugged in and it was snapped from her hands as she moved it and dumped on the tile floor. You guessed it. Bottom left corner looks like a windshield after a wreck. I’m surprised a.) the glass is replaceable for under $30 and b.) there’s a How To video to guide the replacement. I’m notoriously thick thumbed when working with small electrics. Has anyone done this? I’d be surprised if it’s as easy as they make it seem. How much would a ‘phone place’ charge to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, looks like cheapest to get it done in a shop is $200. After watching that video, i would either do one of 4  things

1) Live with it( most likely for me)

2)Attempt to repair with one of the kits on amazon for $30

3) Realize that 99.9% of the time, i am gunna fudge that all up, so also do 

4) Budget for a new one like this at Costco

https://www.costco.com/7th-gen-apple-ipad-a10-fusion-chip-32gb---space-gray.product.100517160.html

Cause there aint no damn way i getting that fix to work!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

If the co worker who broke it isn't buying me a new one, I would probably spend the $30 to try and fix it myself (plus possible additional cost for specialty tools to open it) and see how that goes while also being prepared that I will probably end up needing a new one if that won't work, gambling on the $30 that maybe it isn't as hard as I think to fix. But seeing that the part itself is only $30 and places want $200+ to repair it, I would think either it's not easy to do, or will take some time to do it.

I recently just fixed my washing machine, taking it completely apart to install new bearings. Bought a OEM parts kit from Maytag on Amazon for a little over $100, plus a special bearing install tool for $50. I had watched some YouTube repair videos and it took about 4+ hours to do start to finish taking my time. Cost to have repaired by a pro would have been closer to a cost to buy a new one.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Yep, looks like cheapest to get it done in a shop is $200. After watching that video, i would either do one of 4  things

1) Live with it( most likely for me)

2)Attempt to repair with one of the kits on amazon for $30

3) Realize that 99.9% of the time, i am gunna fudge that all up, so also do 

4) Budget for a new one like this at Costco

https://www.costco.com/7th-gen-apple-ipad-a10-fusion-chip-32gb---space-gray.product.100517160.html

Cause there aint no damn way i getting that fix to work!!!!

I’ve got a dude at a gas station that does phone screens for like $30. I’d imagine iPads more expensive but not $200.

Find someone hustling a side gig that might void the warranty but gets it fixed. Craigslist or the like might work.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I was surprised to see the cost to repair being  $200.  Did some checking, and it is that much, maybe more.

You can try and repair yourself with the $30 option and if it doesn’t work, no real loss.  I have AT&T cell phone insurance coverage that extends to all my electronics.  Check to see that you don’t have similar coverage.

Worst case is you buy a new iPad.  $329 for a brand new 10.2 inch with 32 GB, $429 for 128 GB.  How old was it?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I was surprised to see the cost to repair being  $200.  Did some checking, and it is that much, maybe more.

You can try and repair yourself with the $30 option and if it doesn’t work, no real loss.  I have AT&T cell phone insurance coverage that extends to all my electronics.  Check to see that you don’t have similar coverage.

Worst case is you buy a new iPad.  $329 for a brand new 10.2 inch with 32 GB, $429 for 128 GB.  How old was it?

Thanks all! Gonna 1st See if someone does this as a side gig. No, I’m not making the girl buy a new one. So either someone who’s experienced at it or try the repair myself. A lot more involved than just popping the old one out and sticking the new one in. It’s 3 years old. And of course, I let the warranty run out..?‍♂️

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thanks, Plez, but the replacement glass is around $40. It’s the ‘How To’ that concerns me.

I do various electronic repairs, and quite frankly that looks pretty tricky to me.  It's the little flying glass bits getting all over that would concern me.

Poked around and I like this video:

The key take-home seems to be to use a heat gun and only let it cool about 30 seconds before prying.

I like your idea of looking for someone who does it as a side-business and letting their nerves be racked.

How confident are you that the metal case didn't get bent or dented?

22 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thanks all! Gonna 1st See if someone does this as a side gig. No, I’m not making the girl buy a new one. So either someone who’s experienced at it or try the repair myself. A lot more involved than just popping the old one out and sticking the new one in. It’s 3 years old. And of course, I let the warranty run out..?‍♂️

I think a solid plan. Once you’ve done a few dozen I imagine it’s pretty easy and if you don’t have the overhead of a store, taxes, not warrantying it long term etc... it’s cheap and easy to by some bulk screens and burn through them nights and weekends. 

I’ve been pretty lucky and not made a habit of needing too many replacements but it’s been quick and easy the couple of times I did (once the shady gas station kiosk and once a Craigslist person where I dropped it after work grabbed dinner and picked it up on the way home). 

remember- the more convinced you are they are going to steal your iPad, the better the deal you’ll get and odds are they won’t steal it ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what have you decided to do?

Was unsuccessful finding a person who can do it via a bunch of fb pages I subscribe to, so I’m now gonna look into Craigslist.

i want to get it fixed so the only I’ve decided on is I don’t want to do it..