Levi Wallace the 6th best Corner "on the market"? - So says Deangelo Hall

whatdrought

Found this NFL.com article interesting. They've been having some of their player analysts put together lists of the top 10 players at any position who will be on the market (be it draft, free agency, etc) this offseason. Cool to see Levi listed here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102237/article/ten-cornerbacks-worth-pursuing-in-free-agency2020-nfl-draft

Wallace, who just finished his second NFL season, started all 16 games as the Buffalo Bills' CB2 opposite Tre'Davious White in 2019, allowing an opposing passer rating of 85.5. He recently had surgery to repair a shoulder injury suffered midway through last season but is expected to be ready to go this fall. I know there is almost zero chance Wallace, as an exclusive rights free agent, will end up with any team but the Bills. But I wanted to keep him here because, in my opinion, he's one of the best man CBs on this list.

I wonder how much of a compliment this is when you factor in the author calling him one of the best man Corners on the list... Am I missing something here? 

For what it's worth, here is James Jones' take on the same idea only aimed at WR's: 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102058/article/ten-wide-receivers-worth-pursuing-in-free-agency2020-nfl-draft

Interestingly enough, he has Antonio Gandy-Golden listed as the 3rd best WR in the draft. (or at least it would seem that way) which is a truly unique take on the situation. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And he will be back very cheap on his EFRA Tender

This is one of those rules that the players should fight for in the new CBA. These undrafted guys really take it up the pooper...

Hopefully he sees a good chunk from that fund that pays guys like him that severely  outplay their contracts

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

This is one of those rules that the players should fight for in the new CBA. These undrafted guys really take it up the pooper...

Hopefully he sees a good chunk from that fund that pays guys like him that severely  outplay their contracts

I mean they were undrafted.   I would say 700k is a lot better than what they would be making working as a Manager at Geico. 

37 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Found this NFL.com article interesting. They've been having some of their player analysts put together lists of the top 10 players at any position who will be on the market (be it draft, free agency, etc) this offseason. Cool to see Levi listed here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102237/article/ten-cornerbacks-worth-pursuing-in-free-agency2020-nfl-draft

I wonder how much of a compliment this is when you factor in the author calling him one of the best man Corners on the list... Am I missing something here? 

For what it's worth, here is James Jones' take on the same idea only aimed at WR's: 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102058/article/ten-wide-receivers-worth-pursuing-in-free-agency2020-nfl-draft

Interestingly enough, he has Antonio Gandy-Golden listed as the 3rd best WR in the draft. (or at least it would seem that way) which is a truly unique take on the situation. 

The thing is, Levi is not really on the market. 

He’s an ERFA, meaning if we make him a qualifying tender of 1 year at league minimum, he’s still ours.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing is, Levi is not really on the market. 

He’s an ERFA, meaning if we make him a qualifying tender of 1 year at league minimum, he’s still ours.

Hall mentioned as much in his write up, but still listed him on the list of 10. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Hall mentioned as much in his write up, but still listed him on the list of 10. 

So he wrote a list of FA who really aren’t FA?

I guess in the event we don’t tender Wallace it’s fair.

So here’s a question: how much did we play zone vs man this past season?  It seems like for a while, we were playing a lot of man as our “fix” to the leaky run D.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So he wrote a list of FA who really aren’t FA?

I guess in the event we don’t tender Wallace it’s fair.

So here’s a question: how much did we play zone vs man this past season?  It seems like for a while, we were playing a lot of man as our “fix” to the leaky run D.

Yep. 

I don't really know... I thought we played mostly Zone and rarely man, but I am not one known for scheme expertise.

28 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I mean they were undrafted.   I would say 700k is a lot better than what they would be making working as a Manager at Geico. 

just sucks that a guy who goes undrafted can totally outplay a guy who was drafted, but just will not  get paid to his value for at least 3 years. No doubt peters is still a sore subject here, but guy did what he needed to do to get market value...

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

just sucks that a guy who goes undrafted can totally outplay a guy who was drafted, but just will not  get paid to his value for at least 3 years. No doubt peters is still a sore subject here, but guy did what he needed to do to get market value...

It sucks at every job.   Its not unusual though.  Plenty of people show up and show out at their job on a daily basis, most of them dont make 700k a year. 

I get what you're saying but he also didnt have to say yes to signing the UDFA contract he was given.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Levi Wallace made more than last years 6th and 7th round draft picks.

UDFAs pay is pretty much in line with a 7th round pick.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I would say, the millions he would be making on the open market is a lot better than the 700k, before taxes/agent fees, etc., he'll make on the tender.

The team options placed in rookie deals are nothing more than "cheap" labor.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

It sucks at every job.   Its not unusual though.  Plenty of people show up and show out at their job on a daily basis, most of them dont make 700k a year. 

I get what you're saying but he also didnt have to say yes to signing the UDFA contract he was given.  

How dare you bring logic and reason onto this board.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I would say, the millions he would be making on the open market is a lot better than the 700k, before taxes/agent fees, etc., he'll make on the tender.

The team options placed in rookie deals are nothing more than "cheap" labor.

By comparison, sure he makes less than other CBs, but he sure as hell isn’t hurting financially by any means, to make $700 K  annually in the real world means you are in the top Three percent of wage earners in America and even higher on a world wide scale, so I’m not feeling a bit sorry for Levi, not even in the slightest. 

Go Bills!!!