Jets felt Bell gained too much weight last year and wasn't explosive

Reed83HOF

I thought (and still do) that Bell was overrated and the Jets signing him was a mistake. I didn't think he could reproduce his success on the Steelers elsewhere (..and he didn't) and would be a huge distraction/selfish guy. I was wrong on his attitude and behavior. He did whatever was asked of him behind a terrible line. He didn't complain. He didn't cause problems in the locker room. He publicly defended his coaches and teammates. He gave a ton of effort even if he didn't have the results so it's really strange that the Jets would do this bush league sniping with anonymous comments. 

..but it's the Jets and Gase so sounds about right.

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"only good offensive player"?  that's not true

He's not wrong.  Bell tanked last season.  Came in not ready to play.  He sucked and the HC is calling him out.  Why wouldn't McD do the same thing?

Except that the Head Coach is not calling him out.  There isn't even a source named in the article.  "The Jets".  "The Jets, who felt Bell gained weight and lost explosiveness as the season went on, have to make it work for another year“

Because, you know, when a respectable HC calls a player out, he always asks a reporter to put a vague unsourced statement in the middle of a speculative article on possible roster cuts, where some other reporter will pick it up and cite it like it's a real source.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except that the Head Coach is not calling him out.  There isn't even a source named in the article.  "The Jets".  "The Jets, who felt Bell gained weight and lost explosiveness as the season went on, have to make it work for another year“

Because, you know, when a respectable HC calls a player out, he always asks a reporter to put a vague unsourced statement in the middle of a speculative article on possible roster cuts, where some other reporter will pick it up and cite it like it's a real source.

Others here were blaming Gase for saying this.  

But now that I read the Cimino piece, he says "the Jets feel".  Cimino's source for this is someone in the Jets organization, we can assume.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Probably would have been best to keep this quiet but I agree with the Jets. I remember watching him last year thinking he looked awful. He was in slow-motion. Maybe it was the year off but he didn’t look anything like the player that was in Pittsburgh.

We can make him faster! We can make him stronger! We have the technology! 

It’s frustrating that this stuff gets leaked (Its probably coming from Gase himself), but it always baffled me how Bell got a free pass from Jets fans this year. I give him credit for staying quiet and remaining positive in public, but his play certainly was lacking. 

Early in the year the blame was exclusively on a horrid run blocking OL (he looked very good week 1 if you watched the game). By seasons end he looked like he was running with cement shoes. Even Bilal Powell ( who is four years Bells elder) looked faster/more explosive. 

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I see you don't carb count.

LOL, I do these days. I am currently trying to lose 7lbs to get to where I was when I needed to lose 15lbs. Another salad for lunch today.

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a6e062b76c04c9c6c4d

Post of the year so far!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

This should help his trade value. Good on Gase to float this out there

Maybe he ate all the tacos Gase had his eye on and this is his payback?

anyone watching saw he wasn’t the star he once was and already knows they don’t get along. 

I doubt it hurt his value in any noteworthy way 

Always good to see turmoil in the jets organization. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Others here were blaming Gase for saying this.  

But now that I read the Cimino piece, he says "the Jets feel".  Cimino's source for this is someone in the Jets organization, we can assume.

Yeah, but it's so freakin' nebulous.  It's not even "a source on the Jets staff", know what I mean?  I mean, it could be Gase, or it could be "I sat next to the Jets assistant equipment sound card manager and he told me the assistant equipment manager for uniforms said...."

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Jets coach smokes crack .. or possibly bathsalts

But he's definitely on drugs

Welp, Then!

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, but it's so freakin' nebulous.  It's not even "a source on the Jets staff", know what I mean?  I mean, it could be Gase, or it could be "I sat next to the Jets assistant equipment sound card manager and he told me the assistant equipment manager for uniforms said...."

Welp, Then!

I'm not buying that.  Cimino has been around for a while.  No reason he would put his access or rep at risk by reporting what some nobody told him.