Could Lions Be interested In Tua?

OldTimer1960

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I still personally don’t like that move.  I said the Bears trade up for Trubisky was one of the stupidest in history the moment they made it.

Maybe if there was an Andrew Luck level prospect sitting there, but not for a QB coming off a major injury who isn’t a slam dunk even if healthy.  

If you miss, you will set you team back years due to the loss of draft capital.  If you hit, you still lose important assets to build a better team around him when you didn’t need to give those assets up.  

That being said, it’s also entirely possible that Detroit just wants people to think this to entice Miami to trade up with Washington so Chase Young falls to them at 3.

to be fair I wasn’t advocating trubisky or tua with that. Just pointing out that if you see your guy, you get your guy. The only reason it sets you back years is you don’t have a good qb if he flops, as the draft capital is generally replaceable 

3 hours ago, hjnick said:

1) Would Washington actually be dumb enough to let Chase Young slide thru their fingers?  The dude is very good and will make their defense legit.

2) Detroit SHOULD look into the QB's.  You are picking 3rd.  If you can get the next Mahomes don't you have to look/draft that? Stafford isn't getting any younger and a bad back.

3) Hopefully Miami gets screwed in this. :)

Mahomes was taken 10th and the reigning MVP wasn't taken till the end of the first.

The draft is a crap shoot. You never quite know who will work out.

It's a very smart move by the Lions to say they like Tua, their #3 pick gets more valuable by the day. They'll likely trade it to the Dolphins or the Raiders for a pair of 1st round picks plus at least a 2nd, maybe more.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Mahomes was taken 10th and the reigning MVP wasn't taken till the end of the first.

The draft is a crap shoot. You never quite know who will work out.

And look at what KC did to get up there because they thought Mahomes was 'the guy'.  That guy just got them a superbowl.

There were/ARE a lot of question marks still on Lamar Jackson, which is why he was there at the end of the first.  Supreme speed/quickness.  Hard to hit a moving target in Hawaii...  Next year, teams will be more ready for Lamar and that offense.

3, 10, the number of the draft pick doesn't matter.  If you think that QB is 'the guy' you should get them.  A franchise QB will always keep your team in a game.   

Detroit is picking 3.  If you think Tua, Herbert, etc... is going to be 'the guy', you draft them.  that's what I was trying to say.

Draft is a crap shoot.

11 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Detroit currently has pick 3 sitting behind Washington at 2.  There are rumors, denied by Lions, that they are talking about trading Matt Stafford.  Might the Lions want to swap picks with Washington and take Tua?  I know that Miami has far more trade assets, but if Washington wants Chase Young, they could trade down 1 spot, say for Detroit's 1 & 2 and still take Young.

This is just complete speculation on my part and a bit of wishing to keep Miami from getting Tua.

Mel Kiper was saying this 2 weeks ago on his ESPN Saturday show on the radio.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

The Lions don't want Tua, they want to win now (for the sake of saving their own behind's). Look for them to draft Okudah or Brown if they stay put @ #3.  

This is where I tend to lean too.  The homeless guy who coaches them doesn’t care about their long term future.  It’s amazing how many coaches get fired after a year yet this guy is entering his 3rd season.  He’s terrible and just looking at him depresses me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is where I tend to lean too.  The homeless guy who coaches them doesn’t care about their long term future.  It’s amazing how many coaches get fired after a year yet this guy is entering his 3rd season.  He’s terrible and just looking at him depresses me. 

I don't care for him, but they were playing pretty well before Stafford went down. This is definitely a make or break year for all of them in Detroit. 

On 2/18/2020 at 12:37 PM, 947 said:

It's a very smart move by the Lions to say they like Tua, their #3 pick gets more valuable by the day. They'll likely trade it to the Dolphins or the Raiders for a pair of 1st round picks plus at least a 2nd, maybe more.

Yep.   I can’t see the Lions keeping this pick, unless someone trades up to 2 for a QB and Young falls to 3.

I think it's important to note here the both the coach and GM in Detroit were given THIS YEAR to win or they're out.  They aren't taking Tua.  Maybe all a smoke screen to entice someone to move up to 3...but if Detroit is at three it won't be Tua.  GM and Coach need help now, not later.

5 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think it's important to note here the both the coach and GM in Detroit were given THIS YEAR to win or they're out.  They aren't taking Tua.  Maybe all a smoke screen to entice someone to move up to 3...but if Detroit is at three it won't be Tua.  GM and Coach need help now, not later.

This is why bad ownership is the worst.  You have the #3 pick this year.  THIS YEAR was the year to fire people and let a new regime draft their guy OR tell them that if they want to hit the reset button and try something new, they get some grace.  Tell your coach and GM that their seats are hot, watch them pass on serious QB talent because they need "weapons" and "pieces" then Stafford comes back and gives you somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 to 9 wins next year and you're ***** out of luck.  Again.

Edited by LeviF91
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

This is why bad ownership is the worst.  You have the #3 pick this year.  THIS YEAR was the year to fire people and let a new regime draft their guy OR tell them that if they want to hit the reset button and try something new, they get some grace.  Tell your coach and GM that their seats are hot, watch them pass on serious QB talent because they need "weapons" and "pieces" then Stafford comes back and gives you somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 to 9 wins next year and you're ***** out of luck.  Again.

The Lions have been run horribly for many many years. But think about this who would they replace Patricia with? Good head coaches don’t grow on trees and I’m sure there’s a bunch of talent out there as it should be but this year they got plagued  by injuries including the starting QB. You really can’t blame Patricia and his staff for 2019. Now 2020 will be the real answer if Patricia is either the real deal or shown the door by seasons end 

7 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

The Lions have been run horribly for many many years. But think about this who would they replace Patricia with? Good head coaches don’t grow on trees and I’m sure there’s a bunch of talent out there as it should be but this year they got plagued  by injuries including the starting QB. You really can’t blame Patricia and his staff for 2019. Now 2020 will be the real answer if Patricia is either the real deal or shown the door by seasons end 

I think the point here isn't really about the coach or GM, but because ownership has given the staff a "Win NOW" ultimatum, the Lions have removed the possibility of taking Tua, from the equation.....because the GM and coach, acting in their own interests, aren't taking a QB at 3 who they'll never benefit from.  The fans and owners COULD though. 

Good ownership would recognize that there is an oppertunity here to try and break the cycle of losing by possibly obtaining a franchise altering QB (I'm not saying TUA is or isn't)  Bad ownership limits the best TEAM options by doing things like this.   ........not saying Pegulas are bad owners.....but their wonky handling of changing out the coach and front office in 2017 created a situation where the option to draft a QB in round 1, was off the table by the time draft day came around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/18/2020 at 6:04 AM, OldTimer1960 said:

Detroit currently has pick 3 sitting behind Washington at 2.  There are rumors, denied by Lions, that they are talking about trading Matt Stafford.  Might the Lions want to swap picks with Washington and take Tua?  I know that Miami has far more trade assets, but if Washington wants Chase Young, they could trade down 1 spot, say for Detroit's 1 & 2 and still take Young.

This is just complete speculation on my part and a bit of wishing to keep Miami from getting Tua.

Rumor is Miami is leaning towards Hebert rather Tua as of right now. As of right now though I'm not scared of any qb they draft because their oline is atrocious. 

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think the point here isn't really about the coach or GM, but because ownership has given the staff a "Win NOW" ultimatum, the Lions have removed the possibility of taking Tua, from the equation.....because the GM and coach, acting in their own interests, aren't taking a QB at 3 who they'll never benefit from.  The fans and owners COULD though. 

Good ownership would recognize that there is an oppertunity here to try and break the cycle of losing by possibly obtaining a franchise altering QB (I'm not saying TUA is or isn't)  Bad ownership limits the best TEAM options by doing things like this.   ........not saying Pegulas are bad owners.....but their wonky handling of changing out the coach and front office in 2017 created a situation where the option to draft a QB in round 1, was off the table by the time draft day came around.

Detroit should swap pics with Washington.  The Redskins want Chase Young, and this would allow Detroit to get a haul from someone wanting Tua while ensuring that Washington still gets their guy.