Burrow - Bengals have top pick, but I have leverage

Reed83HOF

18 minutes ago, par73 said:

From 5th round pick to positioning himself at the top of the 1st, in one year. And he never attended a class at LSU (online graduate courses). That doesn't seem right to me (definition of student-athlete?). 

It's stupid that you have to graduate to transfer and be immediately available.  The idea was that if you were a good student, and graduated early or whatever, you could pursue a graduate degree in the field of study where it might make more sense from an educational perspective.  Not - i need to transfer to play football and attend minimal classes to meet NCAA requirements.  

12 minutes ago, dneveu said:

It's stupid that you have to graduate to transfer and be immediately available.  The idea was that if you were a good student, and graduated early or whatever, you could pursue a graduate degree in the field of study where it might make more sense from an educational perspective.  Not - i need to transfer to play football and attend minimal classes to meet NCAA requirements.  

This archaic rule is finally going away.D1 student-athletes in all sports could have the opportunity to compete immediately after transferring one time if a proposed change to waiver guidelines is adopted by the NCAA  this spring.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-transfer-waiver-working-group-seek-feedback-waiver-expansion

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

This archaic rule is finally going away.D1 student-athletes in all sports could have the opportunity to compete immediately after transferring one time if a proposed change to waiver guidelines is adopted by the NCAA  this spring.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-transfer-waiver-working-group-seek-feedback-waiver-expansion

Good - i mean good for burrow graduating in 3 years etc.  But if his goal is to play professional football, why does the NCAA hold him back?  There's no pathway to the NFL that doesn't go through the NCAA so... figure it out.

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What leverage?  There's no "Philip Rivers" going in the top 4 with him....

If Tua checks out medically then there will be a few who make the argument he should be the first pick.  Burrow does have some leverage in the sense that if he comes out before the draft and says he'll play for any team but the Bengals because they have a horrible owner.  You could see an Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers type trade happen then between the Bengals and whatever team picks Tua. 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

If Tua checks out medically then there will be a few who make the argument he should be the first pick.  Burrow does have some leverage in the sense that if he comes out before the draft and says he'll play for any team but the Bengals because they have a horrible owner.  You could see an Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers type trade happen then between the Bengals and whatever team picks Tua. 

You would be assuming that the Bengals would want Tua that high and that another team would pick him that high.  This isn't a Manning/Rivers scenario.  Burrow's dad isn't Archie Manning either--in fact his dad said Burrow would be happy to play for the Bengals and his mom is still saying she doesn't "know where this is coming from" that he doesn't.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You would be assuming that the Bengals would want Tua that high and that another team would pick him that high.  This isn't a Manning/Rivers scenario.  Burrow's dad isn't Archie Manning either--in fact his dad said Burrow would be happy to play for the Bengals and his mom is still saying she doesn't "know where this is coming from" that he doesn't.

That's why I used the declaimers "if he checks out medically" and "could."  We'll get a better picture after the pro day and combine.

Edited by Doc Brown

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There was no Philip Rivers the year Elway came out either. The next QB picked was Ken O'Brien at #24. And yeah, Elway had the theoretical chance of going to baseball instead but he was never likely to do that.

These guys can take a year off and try again. It's not total control by any means, but it's leverage.

This has totally confused me. I’m sure you’re making a point, but I’m missing it. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

That's why I used the declaimers "if he checks out medically" and "could."  We'll get a better picture after the pro day and combine.

No one is not going to clear him--by all account he's doing great.  But no one is hitting him either, nor will they be any time soon.

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There was no Philip Rivers the year Elway came out either. The next QB picked was Ken O'Brien at #24. And yeah, Elway had the theoretical chance of going to baseball instead but he was never likely to do that.

These guys can take a year off and try again. It's not total control by any means, but it's leverage.

#epicfailpost lol

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"I'd like to play football," Burrow said at a news conference. "So whoever takes me -- I'm a ballplayer, I'm gonna play."

Doesn't sound very concerned about "leverage" there. 

During the buildup to next week's scouting combine in Indianapolis, questions regarding Burrow's willingness to play for the Bengals have been the topic of media speculation. Burrow's mother, Robin, told the Star-Telegram on Monday that she was unaware of how that narrative originated.

"We have no idea where that comes from," Robin Burrow told the Texas newspaper. "It's a story out there that someone has created that doesn't have any substance -- from our perspective at least."

Makes me kind of wonder if the press specifically asked him some questions about leverage so they could create their narrative.

Or maybe despite what his mother and father have said, there's some fire under the media smoke ?‍♂️

Is it possible ... even conceivable ...  that his mother is lying through her teeth? My guess is that the whole family is blinded by $ signs.

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He won’t sit out. But he’s been a lot better than Lawrence. 

Last year sure.  His 2018 season wasn't anything special.  And Lawrence will be playing in 2020 whereas Burrow will not.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He won’t sit out. But he’s been a lot better than Lawrence. 

If Lawrence was available hands down he would be the #1 pick without question

Same if we was eligible last season 

The age difference makes ALL the difference to the scouts. Burrows looked like a phenom at 23, Lawrence 19

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

Is it possible ... even conceivable ...  that his mother is lying through her teeth? My guess is that the whole family is blinded by $ signs.

Of course it's possible, but if the whole family is blinded by $ signs wouldn't that include Burrows? 

Absent evidence to the contrary, it always seems easier to me to assume that people pretty much say what they mean, and mean what they say.

Assuming that someone is lying through their teeth, absent some kind of evidence, is like hearing hoofbeats and thinking of Zebras.

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

He will be on a rookie contract no matter where he ends up.  What point are you trying to make?