Burrow - Bengals have top pick, but I have leverage

Reed83HOF

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

What the hell is wrong with this thread?  Josh Allen only started one year in college?   Comparing Burrow and Tebow?   Joe Burrow thinks he has leverage?

Weird.

And John Elway and Ken O'Brien were the first two qb's taken in the 1983 NFL draft. 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There was no Philip Rivers the year Elway came out either. The next QB picked was Ken O'Brien at #24. And yeah, Elway had the theoretical chance of going to baseball instead but he was never likely to do that.

These guys can take a year off and try again. It's not total control by any means, but it's leverage.

So Ken O'Brien was drafted before Jim Kelly and Todd Blacklidge and there was no Dan Marino in the 1983 draft? It's bizzaro day. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

and now he is one of your best minor leaguers. 

Perhaps you're not aware of how much this topic pisses me off.  And if you were already aware, then you're a bad person.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's not a guarantee. He isn't a generational prospect, not even close

He was the oldest person on the football field every single time he stepped on it last year.. it took him 5 years to put it together

He is nothing like an Andrew Luck prospect

Interesting.  Son of a NFL player and long-time college DC.  I bet he’s freakin’ “Catnip for Coaches” on the whiteboard and the film room.

As a draftee, he’s the same age as Allen is having played in his 2nd NFL season.  3 years at Ohio State, 2 years at LSU.

Take a gander at his Wiki. I’m sure he’s a great kid and a great prospect, but that thing HAD to have been written by professional publicists.  ?

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There was no Philip Rivers the year Elway came out either. The next QB picked was Ken O'Brien at #24. And yeah, Elway had the theoretical chance of going to baseball instead but he was never likely to do that.

These guys can take a year off and try again. It's not total control by any means, but it's leverage.

The next QB picked was Jim Kelly. That 1983 draft also had Todd Blackledge, Tony Eason, and Dan Marino. It was in all the papers, you can look it up. ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Guess it’s a lock that they are taking him? Billy Price just said on Columbus radio that it’s great playing with Sam Hubbard, mike Jordan, and soon Joey Burrow. He was completely serious. I mean everyone is expecting it but they haven’t announced it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

True or not, I don't see where this kid has much leverage.  What's he going to do, sit a year if the Bengals draft him?  He's already an older college guy, that extra year isn't going to help.  Then what?  He comes out in the draft with Trevor Lawrence, and Burrow is not guaranteed of getting picked first anymore?  

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm no college football fan, but it seems to me this kid only had one solid year as a starter.

But what a year!  Simply put Joe Burrow had the single greatest season at QB in the 150 year history of college football.  And it's not close. 

*  60 TD passes and only 6 INT's

*  Over 6,000 total yards.

*  SEC title, College Football Championship and Heisman trophy winner.

And Burrow accomplished this playing arguably the toughest schedule in college football history.  His biggest games also came against the best competition in the most important games.

And for the record Burrow had a solid season in 2018 which was his first as a starting QB.  In fact check out his games from late in that season, particularly the New Years Day Bowl game against #6 CFU (4 TD passes) and you'll see Burrow was flashing signs of what was to come in 2019. 

Burrow did not have a bad game in 2019 - that's 15 games. In fact Burrow did not have a bad half this past season. 

• Like (+1) 3