Burrow - Bengals have top pick, but I have leverage

Reed83HOF

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm no college football fan, but it seems to me this kid only had one solid year as a starter.

If the footwork he showed this past season is here to stay, he should be among the best QBs in the NFL within a few years IMO. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more accurate passer over the course of a college season the way he was. 

And a watchful eye could tell he was special the year before as well; he just hadn’t fixed his footwork issues yet.

From the past 4 draft classes, he’s tied with Lamar for my 2nd highest grade. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"I'd like to play football," Burrow said at a news conference. "So whoever takes me -- I'm a ballplayer, I'm gonna play."

Doesn't sound very concerned about "leverage" there. 

During the buildup to next week's scouting combine in Indianapolis, questions regarding Burrow's willingness to play for the Bengals have been the topic of media speculation. Burrow's mother, Robin, told the Star-Telegram on Monday that she was unaware of how that narrative originated.

"We have no idea where that comes from," Robin Burrow told the Texas newspaper. "It's a story out there that someone has created that doesn't have any substance -- from our perspective at least."

Makes me kind of wonder if the press specifically asked him some questions about leverage so they could create their narrative.

Or maybe despite what his mother and father have said, there's some fire under the media smoke ?‍♂️

Not like someone in the press creating a narrative that will create click-bate. That would never happen, right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well his only real choice if the the Bengals draft him is sitting out a year and reentering the draft in 2021. If he does that he’ll be 25 at the end of his first year and 30 at the end of his first contract if he’s good. He isn’t a 21 year old he’d be prudent to start his career right away to try squeezing two big contracts out before he’s done 

7 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

and it was statistically one of the best years in college football history 

I remember Tebow being an awesome college QB.  Don't even the best SEC QBs usually not do very well in the NFL?

14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

What the hell is wrong with this thread?  Josh Allen only started one year in college?   Comparing Burrow and Tebow?   Joe Burrow thinks he has leverage?

Weird.

The stupid is strong in this thread.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's not a guarantee. He isn't a generational prospect, not even close

He was the oldest person on the football field every single time he stepped on it last year.. it took him 5 years to put it together

He is nothing like an Andrew Luck prospect

Agreed, he was terrific last season, but he only did it one year, had to transfer from Ohio State because Fields was going to beat him out.  This isn't John Elway or even like you said Luck.  The kid has a chance but he is in no way a sure fire prospect. 

How dare the Burrow family insult the fine institution that is today’s media.  Their integrity should be beyond reproach!

Except for Tim Graham.  Because pfffffttt....   

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Agreed, he was terrific last season, but he only did it one year, had to transfer from Ohio State because Fields was going to beat him out.  This isn't John Elway or even like you said Luck.  The kid has a chance but he is in no way a sure fire prospect. 

He didn’t have to transfer, he chose to transfer. He competed in the spring of 2018 for the starting job and Haskins narrowly beat him out. He decided to transfer after he graduated from Ohio state that May because he thought he could start elsewhere and there was no guarantee he would start at LSU, but he won that job. Fields didn’t come to OSU until the following year. If Burrow had stayed, he may have started at Ohio state last year. This way, he got 2 years instead of one.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He didn’t have to transfer, he chose to transfer. He competed in the spring of 2018 for the starting job and Haskins narrowly beat him out. He decided to transfer after he graduated from Ohio state that May because he thought he could start elsewhere and there was no guarantee he would start at LSU, but he won that job. Fields didn’t come to OSU until the following year. If Burrow had stayed, he may have started at Ohio state last year. This way, he got 2 years instead of one.

Gotcha, wasn't sure about the timing.  It would of been interesting if he would of stayed to see who would of won the job Fields or Burrow.  Thanks for the correction.  

5 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Gotcha, wasn't sure about the timing.  It would of been interesting if he would of stayed to see who would of won the job Fields or Burrow.  Thanks for the correction.  

I am actually not certain Fields chooses Ohio state if burrow was here... he may have since he was a few years younger and he wanted to play for Ryan day, but not a certainty. We had 2 QBs leave - Tate Martell and Matthew Baldwin - as soon as fields announced his transfer. It was crazy because then we had to take 2 transfers Last spring to fill in the backup spots. The portal is madness but has shown to be positive for the athlete, for the most part. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm no college football fan, but it seems to me this kid only had one solid year as a starter.

He had one pretty good season and one phenomenal season. He was considered a mid round prospect prior to this season. The rise was not dissimilar to baker mayfield’s a few years ago, from a draft stock perspective, though burrow’s stock is higher now than mayfield’s was In his draft year. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"I'd like to play football," Burrow said at a news conference. "So whoever takes me -- I'm a ballplayer, I'm gonna play."

Doesn't sound very concerned about "leverage" there. 

During the buildup to next week's scouting combine in Indianapolis, questions regarding Burrow's willingness to play for the Bengals have been the topic of media speculation. Burrow's mother, Robin, told the Star-Telegram on Monday that she was unaware of how that narrative originated.

"We have no idea where that comes from," Robin Burrow told the Texas newspaper. "It's a story out there that someone has created that doesn't have any substance -- from our perspective at least."

Makes me kind of wonder if the press specifically asked him some questions about leverage so they could create their narrative.

Or maybe despite what his mother and father have said, there's some fire under the media smoke ?‍♂️

This wouldn't shock me as today's news is more about making headlines, gathering clicks on websites than actually reporting news. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There was no Philip Rivers the year Elway came out either. The next QB picked was Ken O'Brien at #24. And yeah, Elway had the theoretical chance of going to baseball instead but he was never likely to do that.

These guys can take a year off and try again. It's not total control by any means, but it's leverage.

There were several Philip Rivers in 83. Next QB after Elway was Todd Blackledge at 7, some guy named Jim Kelly went at 14, then Tony Eason at 15. Marino went at 27 shortly after O'Brien. What Elway had for leverage along with baseball was the USFL option.

Edited by Steve O
  • Thank you (+1) 1