Burrow - Bengals have top pick, but I have leverage

Reed83HOF

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28726662/joe-burrow-says-bengals-no-1-draft-pick-leverage

"I do have leverage," the former LSU quarterback said, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, during a reception in Fort Worth in which he accepted the Davey O'Brien Award. "[The Bengals] have their process and I have my process. We haven't even gotten to the [NFL] combine yet. There's a lot of things that happen leading up to the draft and a lot of information gathered."

Edited by Reed83HOF

30 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28726662/joe-burrow-says-bengals-no-1-draft-pick-leverage

"I do have leverage," the former LSU quarterback said, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, during a reception in Fort Worth in which he accepted the Davey O'Brien Award. "[The Bengals] have their process and I have my process. We haven't even gotten to the [NFL] combine yet. There's a lot of things that happen leading up to the draft and a lot of information gathered."

"I'd like to play football," Burrow said at a news conference. "So whoever takes me -- I'm a ballplayer, I'm gonna play."

Doesn't sound very concerned about "leverage" there. 

During the buildup to next week's scouting combine in Indianapolis, questions regarding Burrow's willingness to play for the Bengals have been the topic of media speculation. Burrow's mother, Robin, told the Star-Telegram on Monday that she was unaware of how that narrative originated.

"We have no idea where that comes from," Robin Burrow told the Texas newspaper. "It's a story out there that someone has created that doesn't have any substance -- from our perspective at least."

Makes me kind of wonder if the press specifically asked him some questions about leverage so they could create their narrative.

Or maybe despite what his mother and father have said, there's some fire under the media smoke ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"I'd like to play football," Burrow said at a news conference. "So whoever takes me -- I'm a ballplayer, I'm gonna play."

Doesn't sound very concerned about "leverage" there. 

During the buildup to next week's scouting combine in Indianapolis, questions regarding Burrow's willingness to play for the Bengals have been the topic of media speculation. Burrow's mother, Robin, told the Star-Telegram on Monday that she was unaware of how that narrative originated.

"We have no idea where that comes from," Robin Burrow told the Texas newspaper. "It's a story out there that someone has created that doesn't have any substance -- from our perspective at least."

Makes me kind of wonder if the press specifically asked him some questions about leverage so they could create their narrative.

Or maybe despite what his mother and father have said, there's some fire under the media smoke ?‍♂️

^^ Yup ^^

32 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

That's true, but the year he had and his physical tools put him above every prospect. Dude is going to be a legit NFL QB

That's not a guarantee. He isn't a generational prospect, not even close

He was the oldest person on the football field every single time he stepped on it last year.. it took him 5 years to put it together

He is nothing like an Andrew Luck prospect

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Didn’t Burrow’s Dad say he has no problem playing in Ohio for the Bengals?

On 2/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, Mr. WEO said:

What leverage?  There's no "Philip Rivers" going in the top 4 with him....

There was no Philip Rivers the year Elway came out either. The next QB picked was Ken O'Brien at #24. And yeah, Elway had the theoretical chance of going to baseball instead but he was never likely to do that.

These guys can take a year off and try again. It's not total control by any means, but it's leverage.

EDIT: Sorry, I must have been out-of-my-mind exhausted when I wrote this. Genuinely dumb mistake on my part. There absolutely were options between Elway and O'Brien, and much better options.

Having said that, despite my stupid mistake here, Burrows absolutely does have leverage here if he wants to use it. He may or may not.

Edited by Thurman#1