Beane quotes on trading in the draft, board setup and he actually talked about WR busts in RD1

Reed83HOF

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I wasn't crusading for anyone LOL - was honestly just saying size isn't the end all be all and those 2 traits were 2 of our bigger weaknesses (aside from drops) last year :)

If we stay at #22, it lines up well with the CB talent expected to be there and I just can't see us taking one there.

They key for a RD2 WR (or any of them actually), will be the basic size of 5"11 + and good speed; they would have to be really good route runners, able to create separation quickly, adjust for balls and get going again. 

I could see a CB in Rd. 1 if Bean thinks the guy is a CB1 talent.  Having two CB1 talents on a team is a necessity.  It would depend on whether the DE's he wants are gone or not.  I think we go WR in Rd. 2 and 3.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

@Reed83HOF

Do you have any quotes where Beane rhymes off the premium positions? I recall him saying it at one point. I know it included pass rusher, QB and tackle. 

(I still think we go pass rusher round 1 and move up in round 2 for a WR)

IIRC, it is the same as BADOL's list - QB, Pass Rusher, LT, WR, CB 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Sammy was the highest rated WR in the draft and was thought of an explosive WR.  He clearly never lived up to his potential, but #4 for Sammy wasn’t crazy.

What was crazy was the fact that the Bills traded up for a WR.  Many in the media saw this as a foolish move, not because it was trading up for Sammy, but because it’s generally stupid to give up 2 #1’s for a WR when you don’t have an established QB.  

Many in the media laughed at Whaley, and deservedly so.  Some Bills fans TO THIS DAY will try to defend the move and the pick and claim that Sammy was a bust.  But this trade was terrible and set the team back.  

I hope Beane doesn’t give up the farm to draft a WR in the top 5.  Something tells me he’s way smarter than Doug

We traded for Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin.  We also traded up for Zay Jones instead of staying put and taking JuJu or Kupp (Beane wasn’t here yet).  

they have been bad at the receiver position.  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

I could see a CB in Rd. 1 if Bean thinks the guy is a CB1 talent.  Having two CB1 talents on a team is a necessity.  It would depend on whether the DE's he wants are gone or not.  I think we go WR in Rd. 2 and 3.  

Aiyuk & Jefferson get looks along with Shenault & Higgins.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We traded for Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin.  We also traded up for Zay Jones instead of staying put and taking JuJu or Kupp (Beane wasn’t here yet).  

they have been bad at the receiver position.  

I wouldn't call them bad. As you mentioned Jones was on McD.

Matthews got a us a WR after we dumped all of ours, plus allowed us to get out of Darby's contract. Matthews was a UFA at the end of the season. Benjamin was a 3rd RD band aid in the first year of the tear down - he certainly wasn't going to trade #1s or #2s at this point = we didn't even have a QB!. 

I can't crucify Beane or the FO for anything yet - they haven't taken a legit shot at a WR in the draft. We got lucky with AB this offseason and for what OBJ went for, I would rather use that ammo to move up for one of the top 3 WRs. I don't need OBJs BS or his contract. 

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

I find that interesting for sure. 

Thanks good to know

How is WR even questionable? Great ones don't hit FA and the okay ones that do get way overpaid. 

Your first RD premium positions are the ones that have the highest AAV = WR is definitely one

Jalen Reagor could easily be the guy.

When you have the natural speed he does, you don't have to worry about his height.

Plus, you can get big-bodied WR's later in this draft too.

So, do not be surprised if Reagor's name is called at 22.

But A LOT will happen between now and then, so it's pretty useless what I said here. ?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think receivers being busts is a lot different than other positions.  It is the most dependent position in football.  People talk about what a mistake Sammy was with OBJ and Evans.  If those guys were on the Bills back then, they won’t be the same player.  

this regime has a lot to prove on recognizing receiver talent.  But more than anything, it is depend on Allen taking the next step as a passer and an offense that will allow him to do it.

This regime, sans Beane did do badly with the Zay pick, and I don’t think anyone thought KB would be as useless as he was,  in the end that was on Beane, but he did redeem himself somewhat bringing in JB & CB.  
  This draft will tell a fuller picture of Beane and his teams evaluation skills of college WRs who can make it in the NFL, I am confident they will get it right, fingers crossed ?.
  On game day though, you are right, it all depends on Allen tightening up his game, and using the assets the team provides him successfully. 

Go Bills!!!

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

This regime, sans Beane did do badly with the Zay pick, and I don’t think anyone thought KB would be as useless as he was,  in the end that was on Beane, but he did redeem himself somewhat bringing in JB & CB.  
  This draft will tell a fuller picture of Beane and his teams evaluation skills of college WRs who can make it in the NFL, I am confident they will get it right, fingers crossed ?.
  On game day though, you are right, it all depends on Allen tightening up his game, and using the assets the team provides him successfully. 

Go Bills!!!

While with the Panthers Beane also drafted and signed zero WRs worth a damn, if I recall correctly.  Unless KB counts as a Panthers success and Bills failure.  Then its a wash.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

What was crazy was the fact that the Bills traded up for a WR.  Many in the media saw this as a foolish move, not because it was trading up for Sammy, but because it’s generally stupid to give up 2 #1’s for a WR when you don’t have an established QB. 

It would appear that Whaley selected Sammy in order to establish EJ as the QB. If we had a franchise QB in place at the time, I doubt he would have made such a go-for-broke gamble. Doug probably knew that if EJ didn't work out, his own days would be numbered anyway, so he had nothing to lose by giving it a shot. I respect him for going down with a fight, if nothing else.

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

While with the Panthers Beane also drafted and signed zero WRs worth a damn, if I recall correctly.  Unless KB counts as a Panthers success and Bills failure.  Then its a wash.

Wasn’t Beane an assistant vs being the decision maker at that time? 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I wouldn't call them bad. As you mentioned Jones was on McD.

Matthews got a us a WR after we dumped all of ours, plus allowed us to get out of Darby's contract. Matthews was a UFA at the end of the season. Benjamin was a 3rd RD band aid in the first year of the tear down - he certainly wasn't going to trade #1s or #2s at this point = we didn't even have a QB!. 

I can't crucify Beane or the FO for anything yet - they haven't taken a legit shot at a WR in the draft. We got lucky with AB this offseason and for what OBJ went for, I would rather use that ammo to move up for one of the top 3 WRs. I don't need OBJs BS or his contract. 

How is WR even questionable? Great ones don't hit FA and the okay ones that do get way overpaid. 

Your first RD premium positions are the ones that have the highest AAV = WR is definitely one

Its interesting because not often I have I heard about executives talking that WR is a premium position. 

I usually hear QB, tackle, DE and corner are premium positions.  Usually dont have WR in that group.

I mean I'm fine with it, I want Beane to take a swing at a WR early

18 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

However you want to slice it, he hasn't been associated with any organization that has drafted a decent wideout during his NFL career.

I’m not in the least interested in Beane’s time as a lackey/ assistant with his previous employer. I’m only interested in his time with the Bills. 

It would appear by your verbiage you would fire Beane yesterday, and if that works for you, that’s fine with me.  I never expect people to be perfect in their lives or employment. It appears some here demand perfect from others, so they have to live with disappointment that that brings. 

I am looking forward to a successful off season and what that can do to help the Bills, like I said previously agreeing with the OP, it all comes down to Allen being  more successful than he was last season, but I would think we all want that.

Go Bills!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Jalen Reagor could easily be the guy.

When you have the natural speed he does, you don't have to worry about his height.

Plus, you can get big-bodied WR's later in this draft too.

So, do not be surprised if Reagor's name is called at 22.

But A LOT will happen between now and then, so it's pretty useless what I said here. ?

He is a very interesting prospect right now and his ranking is ridiculously fluid. Freely admit I haven't made it to him yet. Allbright has him in play at 15 for Denver!

59 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Wasn’t Beane an assistant vs being the decision maker at that time? 

Gettleman

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m not in the least interested in Beane’s time as a lackey/ assistant with his previous employer. I’m only interested in his time with the Bills. 

It would appear by your verbiage you would fire Beane yesterday, and if that works for you, that’s fine with me.  I never expect people to be perfect in their lives or employment. It appears some here demand perfect from others, so they have to live with disappointment that that brings. 

I am looking forward to a successful off season and what that can do to help the Bills, like I said previously agreeing with the OP, it all comes down to Allen being  more successful than he was last season, but I would think we all want that.

Go Bills!!! 

It appears by your ridiculous leap to a conclusion not supported by text that you're prone to ridiculous leaps of logic that are not supported by text.

It remains a FACT that Brandon Beane's  track record of drafting successful NFL WR's is non-existent.

Edited by Jauronimo

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think this played a part in why they didn't draft a single WR last year.... think they are a little unsure of themselves in that department.

Knew this class was loaded, 1 of many reasons why they punted on Mahomes; just like they knew last year was known as the DL draft. The issue is we were really good this year, so making a play for a premium talent costs a lot

• Like (+1) 1