Lions ProBowl CB Darius Slay is on the block - Rams in on it

Reed83HOF

I’d be open to exploring this depending on the cost.  My guess is that we won’t be in on it with Tre’s contract coming due soon.  I doubt Beane is going to pay 2 corners top of the market money.  That’s a hard thing to justify, especially with all the contracts we have to think about soon within on our own roster.  Then you still have the trade compensation to consider.  

But...trade our 5th for DJ and a 3rd.  Then having 2 thirds now, send one of those 3rd’s and Levi Wallace to Detroit.  Work out a contract that’s front loaded and won’t hurt the cap too much when we need to pay our other guys.  

I could see Beane swinging something like this...albeit not very probable.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

30 minutes ago, H2o said:

It's a nice thought, but Slay is trying to get PAID. We already have one CB who is about to reset the market. The cost in draft compensation and cap isn't worth it. 

This is the only right answer.

Beane seems to adhere to the model of having certain amounts of money set aside for each position group. 

Within the cornerback position group, a HUGE chunk of the allotment is about to be paid to Tre'Davious White. I find it extremely doubtful that they'd ALSO be willing to pay Slay. I expect the CB2 next year to be cheap -- a rookie or value FA signing.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

It's a nice thought, but Slay is trying to get PAID. We already have one CB who is about to reset the market. The cost in draft compensation and cap isn't worth it. 

He would be a great fit on the D, but this sums it up perfectly why it won't happen.

29 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Missing in all this -at least for me, is WHY? Behavior/attitude/criminal charges? I haven’t seen or read anything about it. If it’s any of these things, he’s not ‘Process’. It would be fantastic though to add ANOTHER great CB!

Slay is all about the money. I believe he threatened to hold out before and the Lion’s fan at work said this would happen. I assume he is leveraging for another contract and the Lions want no part of it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Slay is all about the money. I believe he threatened to hold out before and the Lion’s fan at work said this would happen. I assume he is leveraging for another contract and the Lions want no part of it. 

A person who cares about money??? Devil!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Missing in all this -at least for me, is WHY? Behavior/attitude/criminal charges? I haven’t seen or read anything about it. If it’s any of these things, he’s not ‘Process’. It would be fantastic though to add ANOTHER great CB!

I think it’s more an impasse between Slay and the brass there.  He thinks he should be the top paid CB and they don’t think he’s played close to that level (which most agree).  Good corner, but his opinion of himself outweighs reality in my opinion.   

• Like (+1) 1

WGR's sister Entercom station in Detroit, "The Ticket 97.1", mentioned on the air last week that the Bills were one of the teams supposedly contacted by the Lions. They said Detroit is looking for a 2nd and a 5th. Slay apparently is looking for Top 3 money. He and Patricia don't get along and that may be playing into this as well. The Lions fans are not too enamored by their version of "New England Midwest", i.e. GM Bob Quinn and HC Patricia, and were totally frustrated when both didn't get canned this year.