Sign One, Trade One, Draft One, GO!

Dkollidas

Sign: Kenyon Drake - RB

Trade For: Kenny Golladay - WR

Draft: Yetur Gross-Matos - DE

Just now, thebandit27 said:

So you weren’t wrong that he only produces when Watt is playing on the other side?

Got it.

If you only go by the stat sheet, you’re going to miss a lot.

Guess why Clowney is going to get paid? Because he’s worth it to NFL GMs. The same guys that knew Stephon Gilmore was worth it when legions of angry Bills’ fans said he wasn’t.

There are countless, COUNTLESS, examples of players getting overpaid in free agency and never living up to their contracts. If an NFL GM deems a player is worth it, that's not any indication that he is right.

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sign: Kenyon Drake - RB

Trade For: Kenny Golladay - WR

Draft: Yetur Gross-Matos - DE

There are countless, COUNTLESS, examples of players getting overpaid in free agency and never living up to their contracts. If an NFL GM deems a player is worth it, that's not any indication that he is right.

Nor did I say that it was definitive.

What I am saying is that NFL GMs know that production goes beyond the stat sheet, and that’s why Clowney is going to get PAID.

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Nor did I say that it was definitive.

What I am saying is that NFL GMs know that production goes beyond the stat sheet, and that’s why Clowney is going to get PAID.

Also only why he was traded for a 3rd wants to be a UFA and will be paid accordingly.

Edited by Reed83HOF

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Just remember: the GM that wanted to pay him like an elite EDGE is employed by another team’s front office...

:thumbsup:

Edge has to be resolved in UFA and I want to see Beane start swinging big - this is the time to do it in UFA and the draft and not a ton of holes. An elite Edge in UFA upgrades the entire defense IMO and it won't screw with the cap at all. 

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Edge has to be resolved in UFA and I want to see Beane start swinging big - this is the time to do it in UFA and the draft and not a ton of holes. An elite Edge in UFA upgrades the entire defense IMO and it won't screw with the cap at all. 

Indeed. I still think that Addison would be in play as well—arguably the most consistent pass rusher of the last 4 seasons among the FAs. Plus they’ve got familiarity with him.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Clowney isn't that guy, to me. The elite ones are rarely available in free agency. Have to find them in the draft.

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Clowney isn't that guy, to me. The elite ones are rarely available in free agency. Have to find them in the draft.

Clowney, Yannick, Armstead, Judon (or Calais if released) will work for me and upgrade Shaq. At the very least you can resign Shaq and it doesn't change that position or the D overall at all. Any of these 5 will make it better immediately. 

Sacks are an iffy stat to look at, but QB pressures are just as important and usually lead to a sack, int or missed played. A player can clean up with mess or luck into a sack, much harder to luck into QB pressures

55 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Clowney, Yannick, Armstead, Judon (or Calais if released) will work for me and upgrade Shaq. At the very least you can resign Shaq and it doesn't change that position or the D overall at all. Any of these 5 will make it better immediately. 

Sacks are an iffy stat to look at, but QB pressures are just as important and usually lead to a sack, int or missed played. A player can clean up with mess or luck into a sack, much harder to luck into QB pressures

I think that Clowney and Ngakoue will get overpaid. Judon and Armstead seem to be trending up. I'd be happy with either. Calais Campbell is 33. Not sure if it makes sense to bring him in.

27 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think that Clowney and Ngakoue will get overpaid. Judon and Armstead seem to be trending up. I'd be happy with either. Calais Campbell is 33. Not sure if it makes sense to bring him in.

Wait, you don’t want to pay Clowney because he doesn’t produce unless he’s alongside JJ Watt, but you think Armstead is “trending up” because he finally had a good season sack-wise, in a contract year, playing alongside Ford, Bosa, and Buckner???

What.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Fans continue to be afraid of salary cap hell. It's comical. 

Well there’s that too, but I’m more mystified by the inconsistency of thought. No Clowney because bad sack numbers unless JJ plays (which isn’t even true) but happy with Armstead despite low sack numbers unless he’s surrounded by 4 other 1st round picks on the DL.

I think Clowney is the best EDGE option on the market. He’s consistently in the backfield and great against the run. He’s a guy that’s schemed for. With that being said, he’s going to be the highest paid of all of these guys. He’s looking to set the market for the position. If he doesn’t set it, he will be close.

That’s why I went with the “trade for Campbell” option. He’s still a really good player and on a decent contract. He only has a year remaining but if you could add 2 years as a part of the trade you’d be in good shape. Cut Murphy, bring back Shaq and you’ve really improved the position. Maybe take a flier in the mid to late rounds on a developmental guy like you did with Johnson last year.  

I’m not a huge fan of the 2nd tier guys like Epenesa and Gross-Matos at this point. I don’t really love a lot of the “next guys” in FA either. I wouldn’t mind Addison. I don’t really trust Quinn or Fowler. I wouldn’t hate Dupree but who is he? The guy from last year or the guy from his first few years? 

Edge needs to be addressed but I’m not sure that the Bills can properly address it without paying Clowney or making a trade. I think that they are settling for a lesser player otherwise. I’d just assume Shaq and Anae (or someone like that in the 2nd) over Quinn (or someone like that).

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed. I still think that Addison would be in play as well—arguably the most consistent pass rusher of the last 4 seasons among the FAs. Plus they’ve got familiarity with him.

I'd love Addison along with an OLB like Jordan Jenkins if we lose Shaq/Phillips.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Wait, you don’t want to pay Clowney because he doesn’t produce unless he’s alongside JJ Watt, but you think Armstead is “trending up” because he finally had a good season sack-wise, in a contract year, playing alongside Ford, Bosa, and Buckner???

What.

No, because Armstead won't get paid elite money for being an above average player. His contract will be reasonable.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

No, because Armstead won't get paid elite money for being an above average player. His contract will be reasonable.

He’s not above average. He’s a barely average player that had one anomalous year because he played with 4 other first round picks.

And I would love to know (a) what “reasonable” money is for a 25 year old pass rusher, and (b) why Buffalo needs to settle for paying “reasonable” money to an “above average” player.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

He’s not above average. He’s a barely average player that had one anomalous year because he played with 4 other first round picks.

And I would love to know (a) what “reasonable” money is for a 25 year old pass rusher, and (b) why Buffalo needs to settle for paying “reasonable” money to an “above average” player.

No, Clowney is the "above average player" I was referring to. I'd rather pay average money for an average edge rusher than elite money for an above average edge rusher.

Just now, MJS said:

No, Clowney is the "above average player" I was referring to. I'd rather pay average money for an average edge rusher than elite money for an above average edge rusher.

What do you consider “average” money? And why should Buffalo settle for an average player? 

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

What do you consider “average” money? And why should Buffalo settle for an average player? 

The Bills shouldn't settle for an average player. They should draft an edge rusher high as well. Armstead is not my first choice. I simply was replying to a comment about him and a bunch of other players. You chose to fixate on him.