I think the big fish is Chris Jones.

njbuff

13 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

How about our playoff game against Texans,  one thing our defense did not do enough was getting turnovers which helps out our offense.  

Talk to the coaches about that one. 

The first half is what our D can do.  The second half was the coaching staff thinking the game was won.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

On 2/16/2020 at 1:48 PM, njbuff said:

The Bills had Star restructure his contract and the Bills look like they are letting Phillips walk.

I bet McBeane wants to make a really good D elite by signing Jones.

I don't know if KC can/will franchise, but if they do...............

what I just typed above is absolute gibberish.

But I do think that Chris Jones is the one that McBeane go out and spend the money on.

What do you think?

I think KC does whatever they need to do to keep him.

I just don't see it.

Outside of special situational packages, Sean McDermott's defense generally utilizes a 1-Tech and 3-Tech at DT.

Chris Jones is a 3-Tech.  The same as Ed Oliver and Jordan Phillips.  Our 1-Tech DTs would be Star Lotulelei and Harrison Phillips.

In other words... If the Bills let Jordan Phillips walk, they will be looking for a replacement to rotate at the 3-Tech DT position with Oliver.  Not to play alongside him.

Jones will likely command $15-20 million per year.  I just can't see the Bills spending that kind of money to split reps with the guy they picked Top 10 last year.  Way too much investment at a single position.

I think the Bills will offer Jordan Phillips a fair contract ($5-7 million per year) to return and split reps with Oliver.  If he balks, they will find another starting-caliber guy on the market to take his place.  Going forward, they likely envision Oliver being the main guy at the 3-Tech anyway.

If Brandon Beane decides to shell-out a big contract on the Defensive Line, I believe it will be for an edge rusher.  Shaq Lawson is a free agent.  Jerry Hughes is possibly in the last year of his deal.  Trent Murphy has been a disappointment and could easily be cut.

On 2/16/2020 at 2:48 PM, njbuff said:

The Bills had Star restructure his contract and the Bills look like they are letting Phillips walk.

I bet McBeane wants to make a really good D elite by signing Jones.

I don't know if KC can/will franchise, but if they do...............

what I just typed above is absolute gibberish.

But I do think that Chris Jones is the one that McBeane go out and spend the money on.

What do you think?

There is about a 0.05% chance of this happening.

If the Bills signed Jones it would be in direct contrast with how Beane and McDermott have built a roster over the past 3 years.

First McDermott has always believed in a D-line rotation.  The Bills have 2 up-and-coming DT’s in Harrison Phillips and Ed Oliver.  I can’t see them invest the huge amount in a player to take snaps away from players that could be their future.  

Also if you followed what Beane has done - the only time he’s overpaid a free agent is at positions of glaring weakness.  Star in 2018.  Morse in 2019.  I don’t think the Bills are bad enough at DT to give monster deal to.  Same reason they won’t sign Amari Cooper either.  

It’s a GM fun thought....but one that won’t happen.  I look for the Bills to sign several middle tier free agents and then to re-sign a few of their own players.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 3:39 PM, DCbillsfan said:

After watching Beane's post season press conference, I didn't come away thinking Beane was going to do a big $ free agent signing.  If they re-sign Shaq, that may be the biggest contract this off season imo.

This to me would be a disaster. There are still many holes on this team that can be addressed, but I agree with you that his statements are off putting. I think the lack of urgency from the Sabres is bleeding over for me though.