I think the big fish is Chris Jones.

njbuff

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

While Jones would help any team....I really do think you've got a Chris Jones/Aaron Donald on the roster with Ed Oliver.  Seems like you guys could use an edge rusher

I'm a K'Lavon Chaisson guy, but I don't think he will be there at 22.

The other top 3 guys (Gross and Epenesa) might not be there either, but I am not as high on them as I am on Chaisson.

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills had Star restructure his contract and the Bills look like they are letting Phillips walk.

I bet McBeane wants to make a really good D elite by signing Jones.

I don't know if KC can/will franchise, but if they do...............

what I just typed above is absolute gibberish.

But I do think that Chris Jones is the one that McBeane go out and spend the money on.

What do you think?

I think the big kahuna is Taysom F'ing Hill

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly. He plays the same position as the guy they just spent the #9 pick on. Not. Happening. 

This.

He's a 3-tech. That's where they want Oliver to develop. Switching one of them to a position he's not going to fit as well wouldn't make any sense either.

We just spent a #9 overall pick on Ed Oliver, invested in Harrison Phillips and signed FA Star Loutleilei. The main priority #1 at this point has to be getting to the QB with not 1 but multiple edge rushers. Not only do I think we pick 1 up in FA but I also think we draft 1 in round 1 (My choice is Yetur Gross-Matos) as I think Hughes' best days are behind him and Trent Murphy didn't pan out.

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills had Star restructure his contract and the Bills look like they are letting Phillips walk.

But I do think that Chris Jones is the one that McBeane go out and spend the money on.

What do you think?

wouldn't be a bad signing.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is. And you are right, he would.

Just for comparison's sake... (and directed at the thread rather than at @gobills404) Chris Jones rookie season he had fewer tackles, fewer sacks and the same number of TFL as Ed's rookie year. 

The only one of the premier 3 techs in the NFL who really out performed Ed as a rookie is Aaron Donald. That just gives you an idea of where Ed's ceiling might be. He isn't Aaron Donald but he could be in that conversation with the likes of Chris Jones and Fletcher Cox and Kawaan Short etc. 

honestly i think Fletcher is the top guy, he is just as disruptive as Donald but his size and strength give him the advantage. He abused our Oline and is why the eagles embarrassed us as we had no answer for him.

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

honestly i think Fletcher is the top guy, he is just as disruptive as Donald but his size and strength give him the advantage. He abused our Oline and is why the eagles embarrassed us as we had no answer for him.

Nah. Fletcher Cox is great. But Aaron Donald is the 2nd best player in football after Mahomes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

Chris Jones rookie season, 28 combined tackles, 2 sacks, and 4 pass deflections.

Ed Oliver rookie year, 43 combined  tackles 5 sacks 1 forced fumble

Doesn't seem like there's enough room on the D-line for both of them. Serious question, can either play DE?

11 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

What team did it look like we didn’t have a chance of beating due to our Defense.  You know one of the top in all of football and arguably the best D in the NFL.

How about our playoff game against Texans,  one thing our defense did not do enough was getting turnovers which helps out our offense.  

I just read a thing on Leonard Williams i guess he could become a FA if the Giants decide to let him walk & i know to this point in his career he has come up short of his expectations as a 1st round pick .

He has reached out to Richard Seymour for help to refine his game & his mentality of the game would he be a player that Beane could go after & McD could turn around with in the culture he has built here with the Bills ? 

He may come with a lot better contract to given his performance to this point  & he's still young enough that if he hooked up with the likes of Oliver, Edmunds & others it might be a good get ...

And then he could play for the only team that's actually in the state of NY !!

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Just some info for this topic.

Jones is a FA, but KC isn't going to just let him walk.

Both sides would like to get a deal done, but the cap may make that possibility remote at best.  In the event they can't work something out, KC isn't just letting Jones walk.  They will tag and trade....and probably to an NFC team in that case.  Tampa Bay would right up at the top of the list in that case.

I had no idea that there was a chance Jones would not be back in KC...guy is a monster and is clearly their best defensive player, and he's young.  I can't believe they wouldn't find a way to bring him back.

On 2/16/2020 at 11:48 AM, njbuff said:

What do you think?

I just don't see it...Not with the investment we just made in Oliver who had an impressive rookie campaign.  People keep forgetting, we are also getting Harrison Phillips back, who is not only a very promising young DT, but he was literally our best DT at the time he got hurt last year.  The staff is quite high on him too.

So, sorry, Jones is a great player, but this just isn't something that seems probable.  And honestly, I am quite skeptical Beane makes any "big fish" signings this Free Agency, he has said thus much as well.  And he's been pretty spot on when he has said things like this in the past.  I think they will target quality and value to build more depth and fill some holes rather than make a huge spend on any one player.  Then work the draft as the main tool to add potential upper tier talent.  Beane isn't looking to spend to the cap, he knows he needs cap space to keep our own team in tact each of the next few years.  

If he does go after any "Big Fish", then I think the only 3 players that make the most sense are AJ Green, Clowney, and Yannick.  But I think both DE's stay where they are for 2020.  I could see him interested in Green, especially as a guy to have around to help mentor what ever young WR prospect they draft too.  But it would likely be only in a situation where the contract was reasonable and either short like 2 years or have some team friendly language that could allow us to get out of it if injuries continue to plague AJ.  

On 2/16/2020 at 3:12 PM, njbuff said:

If you think it negates Oliver's playing time and McBeane feels the way you do...............

I guess Jones won't be the big fish.

I don't think it negates Oliver but whoa thats a lot of resources put into the interior d line.

5 hours ago, mannc said:

I had no idea that there was a chance Jones would not be back in KC...guy is a monster and is clearly their best defensive player, and he's young.  I can't believe they wouldn't find a way to bring him back.

Their cap situation is really tough. It is why I didn't like the deal they gave Frank Clark. He is good not great. And the deal they gave him means that the one great Dlineman they do have likely has to walk. 

Half of their cap on 8 players. Only 3 bring any savings if cut. Two of them are their starting left tackle and Kelce. Which means Watkins is the only cuttable guy that brings a saving of $14m. Even after 2020 they are having to cut key guys to make space to bring back Jones. They could move on from Mitchell Schwartz in 2021 and save $6m at right tackle, but after that you are back to cutting Kelce or the honey badger. Could you get Jones to take a cheapish 2020 number and ramp him up in 2021 and cut Mathieu? Maybe. Tough though.