I think the big fish is Chris Jones.

njbuff

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

While I'd love having him,  I don't see how that helps our pass rush out seeing as we still would need a DE. Unless I'm mistaken but he is a DT, correct?

DTs absolutely help the pass rush by crushing the pocket and allowing the end rushers to converge on the QB.

Jones' is a great player but I doubt they'd ever concentrate that much of the cap on the interior DL, however...

46 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I don't want us to sign him for other reasons, but he's literally the best pass rushing DT in the league not named Aaron Donald. To say he wouldn't help our pass rush is just ignorant.

He is. And you are right, he would.

Just for comparison's sake... (and directed at the thread rather than at @gobills404) Chris Jones rookie season he had fewer tackles, fewer sacks and the same number of TFL as Ed's rookie year. 

The only one of the premier 3 techs in the NFL who really out performed Ed as a rookie is Aaron Donald. That just gives you an idea of where Ed's ceiling might be. He isn't Aaron Donald but he could be in that conversation with the likes of Chris Jones and Fletcher Cox and Kawaan Short etc. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just some info for this topic.

Jones is a FA, but KC isn't going to just let him walk.

Both sides would like to get a deal done, but the cap may make that possibility remote at best.  In the event they can't work something out, KC isn't just letting Jones walk.  They will tag and trade....and probably to an NFC team in that case.  Tampa Bay would right up at the top of the list in that case.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Both sides would like to get a deal done, but the cap may make that possibility remote at best.  In the event they can't work something out, KC isn't just letting Jones walk.  They will tag and trade....and probably to an NFC team in that case.  Tampa Bay would right up at the top of the list in that case.

I think I'd go 90% certainty they do a tag and trade. That is essentially what they did with Ford last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I wouldn't expect KC to just let Jones walk.

I started this topic for fun.

Jones is to KC's defense as to what Mahomes is to KC's offense.

I am sure they will find a way to keep Jones by manipulating the cap. 

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I wouldn't expect KC to just let Jones walk.

I started this topic for fun.

Jones is to KC's defense as to what Mahomes is to KC's offense.

I am sure they will find a way to keep Jones by manipulating the cap. 

I am not sure they will. They have HALF of their money in 8 player and the only one who makes them any savings is Watkins unless they cut their starting left tackle or Kelce. Unless they keep Mahomes on his rookie deal another year (they could do that possibly but you would expect them to prioritise signing the Quarterback) I can't see a way to make Jones stay. 

Tag and trade is the future I think. 

As others have noted, I can't see them going out and spending the type of money it will take to get a guy whom plays the same position we spent the #9 overall pick on last year. I think their main goal is keeping this defense intact as best they can while adding a couple more role guys. If anything is the "big fish" in FA for them I believe it will be a CB to pair with Tre, say Bradley Roby or Chris Harris. 

Edited by H2o

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day your not beating good teams with guys like Murphy at DE,  cut him and that saves us 8 mill,  you add another 10 to that and pay around 18-20 million.  He can be a difference maker,  guys like Trent Murphy get you beat,  I AM ALL FOR IT !

Agree.  Murphy is mediocre depth at best.  He didn't seem to get pressure on the QB when it mattered and was typically pushed out of the play by the RT.  Just not an impact player.

Hope we can come to an agreement with Shaq and get another Edge/DE who is more effective than Murphy.

I was thinking Matt Judon ...and keep J. Phillips...Clowney has stated he doesn't want to go to any team unless he can get to a Superbowl, so I'm thinking he stays in Seattle or goes to Ravens...I've read Jags wont let Ngakoue go, maybe tagged...

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

I don't want us to sign him for other reasons, but he's literally the best pass rushing DT in the league not named Aaron Donald. To say he wouldn't help our pass rush is just ignorant.

He doesn’t help our pass rush because we ALREADY have pass rushing defensive tackles we need guys that can get there from the edge

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

IMO Jones return was key to KC's eventual championship

They would do well to try very hard to wrangle the cap room to keep him

(I'm sure you're right on the tag/trade but bear in mind they do have to have the cap room to tag)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

As others have noted, I can't see them going out and spending the type of money it will take to get a guy whom plays the same position we spent the #9 overall pick on last year. I think their main goal is keeping this defense intact as best they can while adding a couple more role guys. If anything is the "big fish" in FA for them I believe it will be a CB to pair with Tre, say Bradley Roby or Chris Harris. 

I agree.  The thought of Jones and Oliver manning the interior of the DL on passing downs while Star plays running downs with one of them makes me giddy.  But Spotrac estimates Jones’ MV at $19.2M AAV.  That’s just too much in resources to have tied up long term in the 3 man DT rotation.  

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

In this scenario, I would expect the Bills to go after an edge rusher in the 2nd, unless one of the big three slip to them in the first round.

Chris Jones can actually play some end from time to time.

If Ed Oliver is as strong and fast as we've been told, can he not play some DE?

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day your not beating good teams with guys like Murphy at DE,  cut him and that saves us 8 mill,  you add another 10 to that and pay around 18-20 million.  He can be a difference maker,  guys like Trent Murphy get you beat,  I AM ALL FOR IT !

What team did it look like we didn’t have a chance of beating due to our Defense.  You know one of the top in all of football and arguably the best D in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1