Gunner's 2020 Mock Draft! UPDATE - v3.0 (and FINAL) now posted on p.8

GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

3 - If Simmons falls that far, which I doubt, I would hope the Bills would trade up for him 

If we trade up in the first round for a defensive player, I'm going to need a new television...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

If we trade up in the first round for a defensive player, I'm going to need a new television...

Imagine Simmons, Edmunds, and Milano for the next decade.  

Simmons is going to be that good where I would easily jump up if he fell past 10.  He won’t, but I wouldn’t hesitate.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Imagine Simmons, Edmunds, and Milano for the next decade.  

Simmons is going to be that good where I would easily jump up if he fell past 10.  He won’t, but I wouldn’t hesitate.  

I'm not saying Simmons won't be good, but I'm trying to imagine another year of rooting for a team that struggles to score more than 17 points a game...our defense will be just fine without Simmons  

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

31. 49ers - Austin Jackson - OT - USC

A lot of people are mocking an interior offensive lineman to the 49ers but I am slightly bucking that trend by giving them a tackle. Left tackle Joe Staley is 35 and rumoured to be considering retirement. They could switch third year right tackle Mike McGlinchey over to protect Garoppolo's blindside and plug Jackson straight in on the right. They could also be a major trade down target if a team wants to get up for a Quarterback here (maybe Jacob Eason?) because after this pick the 49ers are not scheduled to pick again until round 5.

There's a lot about this mock that I like. Picks like the 49ers, make a lot of sense if you stop and think about it.

What annoys me with mocks is when people concensus draft and they all look broadly the same. After all these teams have multiple needs and their boards will all look different.

I think I agree that OTs are going to go earlier than people think. Not because they're necessarily that good but because I see several teams ( NYJ, CLE ) in particular who have a dire need at the position and will want one from the top tier which is thought to be OT1-OT4. If one or two teams in the top 6 surprise by going OT those teams in the early tens won't want to miss out.

I think the trade up of Miami with Detroit makes sense for both franchises, as does the trade back for Carolina who need more capital because they are losing so many guys in FA. 

I think Dallas won't take a safety that high although it's an obvious need for them. 

Fwiw I like the Higgins pick. Shenault's injury history is a red flag, but he's a good story and I wish the lad good fortune after all he's been through.

I'm fine with Tee Higgins at #22.  He's a reasonable value at a position of need.  He's a big guy, but I'm getting the sense that he's a pretty athletic big guy.  He might not be as physical as you might like for a 6'4" receiver, but he's got good hands, good catch radius and will win 50/50s.  Most importantly, he's nothing like Kelvin Benjamin.

Good job. 

I'm starting to wonder, though, if Tee Higgins is this year's "fans all project him in the 1st round, but he ends up going in the late 2nd or 3rd round" guy, a la DK Metcalf last year.

Unless a tremendous value at WR falls to Buffalo at 22, I still see them taking an edge rusher or on offensive tackle. All of this could change pending free agency, of course.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I'm not saying Simmons won't be good, but I'm trying to imagine another year of rooting for a team that struggles to score more than 17 points a game...our defense will be just fine without Simmons  

So I gotta say that I agree with mannc.......if we do that in the draft we better be REALLY aggressive on a WR in free agency and draft another one in the draft

46 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I'm fine with Tee Higgins at #22.  He's a reasonable value at a position of need.  He's a big guy, but I'm getting the sense that he's a pretty athletic big guy.  He might not be as physical as you might like for a 6'4" receiver, but he's got good hands, good catch radius and will win 50/50s.  Most importantly, he's nothing like Kelvin Benjamin.

I think back to all those TD passes that KB dropped and cringe

Keep Duke on the team for size as well

9 hours ago, Capco said:

The trade for Tua seems a little off.  #26 and #142 to move up 2 spots?  

I'm not sure Higgins will fall to 22 either, especially if he has a good combine.  

But a good read nonetheless.  Thank you Gunner.  

The Jets gave up 3 2nd round picks in 2018 to move from #6 to #3. Picks 37 and 49 in 2018 and pick 34 in 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions get even more of a haul.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Ummm..........Jerry Butler?

Oh crap, I knew I forgot somebody.

My bad.

He didn't have the longest career, but was solid.

I remember he broke his leg on the last TD reception of his career against Miami in 1986.

Take this advice from me........................................

Sometimes saying shyt off the top of your head isn't the wisest thing sometimes. Do the research. ?

Edited by njbuff

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Good job. 

I'm starting to wonder, though, if Tee Higgins is this year's "fans all project him in the 1st round, but he ends up going in the late 2nd or 3rd round" guy, a la DK Metcalf last year.

Unless a tremendous value at WR falls to Buffalo at 22, I still see them taking an edge rusher or on offensive tackle. All of this could change pending free agency, of course.

I have a high 2nd round grade on Higgins. I actually have him a point below where I had Metcalf last year. I wasn't shocked Metcalf fell... though I mocked him in the first in both my mocks and I wouldn't be stunned if Higgins fell either. The difference between this year's WR class and last year's is those top 3. After that the next batch - Higgins, Shenault, Reagor, Aiyuk, Jefferson, Hamler - that is a bit like last year's class to me in that none of them are complete and all have question marks but all do one or two things at a really high level and it ends up coming down to which "type" you are looking for. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I could somehow merge Higgins and Shenault, I'd be thrilled. But I have questions on both. Luckily it's not up to me to make that decision. In Beane I Trust.

I'm also interested in Thad Moss. Big body TE who can definitely go up and "Moss" people. Maybe Higgins in the 1st, and Moss later? Not sure where Moss is slated to go...

Moss is in the 5-7 round range.  Very slow on tape.  Depends how he tests I suppose.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Holy cow, Bill. You are a crazy man. An awful lot of work on display here. Great stuff.

I am a little crazy. The busier work gets (and it has been manic the last 3 weeks) the more I really seem to crack into my draft stuff when I get home. It must be my way of totally clearing my head. But having started a little later than normal this year I reckon I am a little ahead of where I was last year. 

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Moss is in the 5-7 round range.  Very slow on tape.  Depends how he tests I suppose.

Yea he is a receiving tight end who doesn't demonstrate much burst. I think he may go a little sooner than that though because of name recognition. Day 3 but early day 3 for me (and it is not a great TE class either which may help push him up). 

Edited by GunnerBill