XFL Week 2 game threads

PromoTheRobot

I was at the LA Wildcats game vs Renegades.

So much fun, and lots of energy in the crowd.  Pretty strong attendance too.  I would totally go to more games and probably going again this Sunday.  

Highly recommend attending, pretty fun afternoon.

Best part, I posted a pic on my instagram showing the XFL uniting the AFC East to root for one team for once hahaha.  I was there with a large group of people, but 4 of us sitting together were a Pats fan, Jets Fan, Bills Fan, and Dolphins fan haha.  All close friends.  The huge radio station the Pats fan works at gave her a ton of tickets to hand out to friends, so we all went and had a blast.  

I would have loved it even if we paid for tickets, it’s certainly worth the price.  

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So much fun, and lots of energy in the crowd.  Pretty strong attendance too.  I would totally go to more games and probably going again this Sunday.  

Best part, I posted a pic on my instagram showing the XFL uniting the AFC East to root for one team for once hahaha.  I was there with a large group of people, but 4 of us sitting together were a Pats fan, Jets Fan, Bills Fan, and Dolphins fan haha.  All close friends.  The huge radio station the Pats fan works at gave her a ton of tickets to hand out to friends, so we all went and had a blast.  

I would have loved it even if we paid for tickets, it’s certainly worth the price.  

Looked like more people rooting for the Wildcats than the Chargers.

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

man my beloved BattleHawks were ROBBED on that uncalled Offside where Ta'amu chucked it up...but didn't get the flag, so whoops, pick. It was the worst loss in the history of the franchise!!!

(My Giants fan buddy decided to pick a team to root for for a laugh....thank god we picked St Louis over NY. I saw Guardians fans wearing Jets gear. Eww. St. Louis got the nod due to not having an NFL team, plus the Qbs nickname is "The Throwin' Samoan".)

And he ain't bad.

• Like (+1) 1

While the QB play leaves a lot to be desired, I enjoyed the couple of games that I watched. It's not the NFL, but it's football.

Things I like:

• Challenges - every review is initiated from the booth and although only certain plays are technically "challengable," they will overturn calls that are blatantly wrong. (Usually.)

• The kickoff rule discourages touchbacks while reducing the likelihood of injuries during the return.

• The OT "shootout" rule.

• Listening in on the radio calls from the coaches to players. Tthere must be a significant delay to avoid letting the other team know what the play call is.

• Listening to officials' discussions, including the replay booth.

• The timing rules after the 2-minute warning make it less likely that a team can just take a knee three times to kill the clock.

• The point-after TD. I kinda like the thought of a three-point conversion. This, combined with the timing changes after the 2MW, could make more games exciting until the end.

Things I don't like:

• In-game player and coach interviews. "Hey, you just fumbled the ball away - what happened?" "Coach, why did you decide to punt instead of going for it?" Come on - let them do their jobs during the game, and save the interviews for later.

Things I'm undecided about:

• The punt rule discourages pinning a team back by punting to the corner. I'll wait to see how that plays out in various scenarios before deciding whether I like that.

• One foot in bounds vs two feet to make a catch.

• The coach-to-player radio not cutting out when the play clock hits 0:15. I suppose if they want this to be a developmental league, then I can see the value of having that support available while players learn to read the opponents' formations.

2 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

man my beloved BattleHawks were ROBBED on that uncalled Offside where Ta'amu chucked it up...but didn't get the flag, so whoops, pick. It was the worst loss in the history of the franchise!!!

(My Giants fan buddy decided to pick a team to root for for a laugh....thank god we picked St Louis over NY. I saw Guardians fans wearing Jets gear. Eww. St. Louis got the nod due to not having an NFL team, plus the Qbs nickname is "The Throwin' Samoan".)

my friend and i picked the battlehawks to root for also.  we bought tshirts already.  he are having some fun with this.

41 minutes ago, Beach said:

my friend and i picked the battlehawks to root for also.  we bought tshirts already.  he are having some fun with this.

Hell yeah, why not right? My Battlehawks hat is already on the way. My buddy (and my son) wants one too but man finding XFL stuff is near impossible. I had to get mine on ebay.

(Unfortunately my wife, who puts everything on hold to watch any Bills game at any time, has made it clear she isn't having any of this nonsense. The XFL is apparently a bridge too far. Oh well. We just go "KA-KAW" in the basement to annoy her during games)

Edited by Golden*Wheels

The XFL is better than I thought it would be.  It’s well organized, some interesting rules and the guys are out there killing each other to impress.  I’m not overly critical of some poor QB play or Wr’s with the dropsies.  As long as they are competitive games I don’t care if the scores are 12-9 or 31-27.  With the potential of a 9 point score- So far several of the games have been down to the final drive or so.

the refs aren’t calling every single ticky tack penalty either so that’s alright w me.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Hell yeah, why not right? My Battlehawks hat is already on the way. My buddy (and my son) wants one too but man finding XFL stuff is near impossible. I had to get mine on ebay.

(Unfortunately my wife, who puts everything on hold to watch any Bills game at any time, has made it clear she isn't having any of this nonsense. The XFL is apparently a bridge too far. Oh well. We just go "KA-KAW" in the basement to annoy her during games)

yea my tshirt isnt xfl official because they were sold out.  i wanted an official shirt to try and support the league.  my gf isnt happy that there isnt a break in football season now.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Looked like more people rooting for the Wildcats than the Chargers.

And he ain't bad.

I was at the Chargers game where they played the Bills and NP threw those 5 INTs.  When I got to the game, it almost felt like a Bills home game and Bills fans made up a big part of the attendance.  If I had to guess, I would say at least 30 to 40%.  And friends who go to the Chargers games against other teams pretty much say every game is like that.  

So while the Chargers have more people in the stadium as a sell out compared to the XFL this weekend (which still had good attendance, probably like 70 to 80% full), it wouldn't shock me if the XFL Wildcats actually had more FANS in attendance than a typical Chargers game would.  

Stadium had a lot of energy in it, was really quite fun to be at.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was at the Chargers game where they played the Bills and NP threw those 5 INTs.  When I got to the game, it almost felt like a Bills home game and Bills fans made up a big part of the attendance.  If I had to guess, I would say at least 30 to 40%.  And friends who go to the Chargers games against other teams pretty much say every game is like that.  

So while the Chargers have more people in the stadium as a sell out compared to the XFL this weekend (which still had good attendance, probably like 70 to 80% full), it wouldn't shock me if the XFL Wildcats actually had more FANS in attendance than a typical Chargers game would.  

Stadium had a lot of energy in it, was really quite fun to be at.

Wait, what?  I watched that whole game.  At no time during endless panning shots of the stands and in background shot did it look anything close to that.  It holds 30,000 for soccer. Less than half that was listed as attendance (which is more likely tickets sold). Most of the game the place looked way under half full--with large chunks of covered seats even.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:46 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

I  was at the Seattle/Tampa Bay game.  My experience was pretty much like yours.  It was fun.  And it was competitive football in February, what's not to like?

A dud got a pick  six on the 2 yard line as he rushed the passer he put his arms up and caught the football and walked in the EZ. Sweet.

The fans started chanting for the backup QB.  Then 2 plays later  Silvers threw a 68 yard bomb for a TD. That ended that.

On 2/17/2020 at 1:35 PM, Luka said:

I've watched every game the last two weeks and there is one very apparent thing. Defense is much easier to play than offense.

I'm wondering if this is why the offenses have been weak so far. they always say the defense jells before the offense. They've only played 2 games.  Maybe it will get better.  That said, Cardale's offense seems to be doing just fine.

41 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Despite the dip, those are still pretty good numbers.  As long as they can consistently do a 1.5 or better, they will be in great shape.  We'll find out in a few weeks if that is going to be a possibility.

24 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Despite the dip, those are still pretty good numbers.  As long as they can consistently do a 1.5 or better, they will be in great shape.  We'll find out in a few weeks if that is going to be a possibility.

That will be a heavy lift.  As time goes by, the average current viewer will ask him'/herself "why am I still watching this"?    Plus, March madness will bury them next month.  

Add all the viewers for every game that was played last week and you get one episode of "Young Sheldon" viewers.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

That will be a heavy lift.  As time goes by, the average current viewer will ask him'/herself "why am I still watching this"?    Plus, March madness will bury them next month.  

Add all the viewers for every game that was played last week and you get one episode of "Young Sheldon" viewers.

Very true, but most NBA and NHL games do a 1.0 or slightly less.  This is about creating enough of a demand to get a rights fees deal in the next couple years.  A 1.5 average would be solid for them.  Have to wait and see what happens.  Holding out hope that they can make it.  I can't watch every game, but I like to know that I have some football to watch if I do have the time.