Would You Give Up A Pick for Njoku?

H2o

4 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

And just like that this turned into Bills screwed up because they traded Sammy thread. Did you see his interviews? He didnt want to be here. 20/20 this was a great trade. At the time to get picks and for the future this was a great trade. When we get this team rebuild complete withing the next 2 years this trade will be one of the trades that built this franchise. I just dont get bashing this trade.

https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/bills-latest-news/sammy-watkins-left-scarred-from-buffalo

I'll add to this - sorry.  Sammy was interviewed by a Buffalo reporter (I think it was Tim Graham then with TBN) out in LA, and basically admitted that in B'lo, he needed an "attitude adjustment" - that he was all about mimimimimimi and getting his targets and getting his catches.  After he was traded, he got a "wake up call" and realized he better buckle down and start playing football as 1/11 of a team.  He also has commented on the difference getting married and having a child has made to his mental outlook.

Now obviously the best situation is the coach who can keep a talented player that needs an attitude adjustment, and get him to buy in.  But whether or not that works, depends at least as much on what else the coach has on his plate, as on the player.  The fact is that in the 3 years since being traded, Sammy has been a solid WR contributor, but far from the shining star he was drafted (and is being paid) to be.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Watkins was traded for a player AND a 2nd round pick.

We're talking about a 5th or 6th here.

My point was that new regimes move guys for reasons other than talent. Bills got great return for a guy they were not going to sign long term

Browns aren't trading him for a fifth unless there is more to the story 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2nd round, but valid point. Ragland missed his rookie season thus had never had a chance to show anything in the NFL, he was a poor scheme fit for McD, and we got a 4th for him.

Now I dunno, maybe there's something that makes Njoku a poor scheme fit for Cleveland's new coaches.  I'm just leary of the Browns scouting chops and their player development.  I think he'd come in with at best, needing to learn how to prepare and practice as if he were a rookie.

In which case, why not just draft a rookie?

I mean, 12 picks later and not like at pick 32 guys suddenly get drastically worse. Late first to high second often the difference is as much need as anything, as you are getting out of rare talents and into bigger pools of comparable guys.

ultimately, i think you nailed why the browns might consider a move. Old regime, maybe bad habits, or another connection to what was wrong and some rumors he’s not one of bakers guys in this thread. 

If they can get a pick and then take a guy for a fresh start that might appeal to them just like it seems to appeal to you. 

not stumping for Buffalo to be the team, just pointing out Cleveland could potentially answer phone calls at a lower than expected price point 

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.  I have season tickets to UM. He was tremendous in college.  I have no idea what is going on in Cleveland, but Njoku is definitely worth a mid round pick (4th or 5th?) based on what I have seen - at least for some team.  

6 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Stefanski has had Kyle Rudolph and they drafted Irv Smith who combined for 75 catches and 8 TDs last year. I would figure he's looking at a guy like Njoku to be a key factor in his offense, or at least give him a shot before moving on. 

This.  At the very least, I don't see why Stefanski wouldn't bring the guy into camp and have a good look at him.

15 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Beane won't trade draft capital for vets until we are literally one player away

From his past record, this is not true.  Especially, he likely realizes that this year, not everyone we could draft with a late-round pick has a real chance to make the team.  I personally think he'll be looking to utilize some of those picks to see if we can move up a bit in the draft. 

I don't think he'd be opposed to trading a 5th or 6th round pick (or both) for a promising player.  But if the Browns are willing to deal Njoku for that before camp, I say count the legs on that hoss most carefully.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He is worth at least a third round pick but I would not go higher than a fifth. The reason being unlike last year the Bills are fine at TE if they do nothing. A third round pick will be a significant contributor if not starter on defense. 

As others said, if I'm the new coach in Cleveland I'm not trading Njoku until I at least  see him in person in training camp and probably well into the season. But it made no sense for new HC McD to trade away Sammy and make the offense worse. Some guys rightly or wrongly just want their type of player and maybe Njoku is just not a good fit in  Cleveland.  

I disagree with everything you've said here except i wouldn't trade Njoku if I were Cleveland. 

We just signed four new TE's last year, but lets bring in another.  I really can't think of a positional group on the roster that someone new brought in less than TE.  The one thing I know for certain is that no one knows in 3 to 4 years who'll be better Knox or Njoku, but lets bring in someone different this way Knox will spend less time on the field.

One of the articles I read the other day about signing Olsen and his point which I tend to agree with is bringing in a guy like Olsen is OK as he's only a short term solution to help Knox improve, but should not make any moves that would reduce Knox's playing time. Went on to say how there's very few other TE's in the league with the potential talent set he has, admitted that the drops are a concern,  but  do everything you can to help him develop.  And oh BTW as a 1st round pick, likely is being paid much more too.

It just is amazing here how no one ever has any patience, if the guy's not all pro after 1 season, may as well cut him is what seems like the theme here all too often.  That works in Madden, but not in the NFL.

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

I disagree with everything you've said here except i wouldn't trade Njoku if I were Cleveland. 

Curious.

You think Njoku is worth less than a 3rd?

You think TE group is not fine and if so what do you want to do about it? I assume you would want to cut Kroft and sign another FA.

You don't think a 3rd round pick will be a significant contributor this year? My hunch is the first three picks in the draft will all play significant snaps if not starters - at DE, OLB, and either DT or WR depending on what they do with Phillips and in free agency.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:21 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Curious.

You think Njoku is worth less than a 3rd?

You think TE group is not fine and if so what do you want to do about it? I assume you would want to cut Kroft and sign another FA.

You don't think a 3rd round pick will be a significant contributor this year? My hunch is the first three picks in the draft will all play significant snaps if not starters - at DE, OLB, and either DT or WR depending on what they do with Phillips and in free agency.

No chance I’d give up a 3rd for njoku.  Zero. Might give up a 5th.  I’d give up a 6th for sure