Would You Give Up A Pick for Njoku?

H2o

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28640475/32-nfl-players-use-fresh-start-offseason-qbs-injured-stars#CLE

TE David Njoku

He fell out of favor under the previous regime, as he was a regular healthy scratch down the stretch after returning from IR after a wrist injury. Had coach Freddie Kitchens and general manager John Dorsey been retained, Njoku almost certainly would have been out the door. Still, while Njoku would have a fresh start under a new coach and front office, it's clear he was also losing the trust of QB Baker Mayfield. That's why the 2017 first-round selection might be better off attempting to resuscitate his career elsewhere -- especially if the Browns can get something that can help them in return. -- Jake Trotter

He was a super talented TE prospect coming out of Miami who has battled a couple injuries, but has flashed on the field at times. I'd see if we could swing one of our 5th or 6th round picks for him. It may or may not work, depending on if Cleveland is wanting to part ways and what they would want for compensation. It's another way to add a potential weapon for Josh in a relatively cheap manner though. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28640475/32-nfl-players-use-fresh-start-offseason-qbs-injured-stars#CLE

TE David Njoku

He fell out of favor under the previous regime, as he was a regular healthy scratch down the stretch after returning from IR after a wrist injury. Had coach Freddie Kitchens and general manager John Dorsey been retained, Njoku almost certainly would have been out the door. Still, while Njoku would have a fresh start under a new coach and front office, it's clear he was also losing the trust of QB Baker Mayfield. That's why the 2017 first-round selection might be better off attempting to resuscitate his career elsewhere -- especially if the Browns can get something that can help them in return. -- Jake Trotter

He was a super talented TE prospect coming out of Miami who has battled a couple injuries, but has flashed on the field at times. I'd see if we could swing one of our 5th or 6th round picks for him. It may or may not work, depending on if Cleveland is wanting to part ways and what they would want for compensation. It's another way to add a potential weapon for Josh in a relatively cheap manner though. 

Would I take him for a 5th or 6th? Yeah.

Would I give him up for a 5th or 6th if I was Cleveland. A guy who had 639 yards in his 2nd year? Absolutely not.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

TE David Njoku

yea I would give a mid round pick for Njoku 

• Like (+1) 1

He is worth at least a third round pick but I would not go higher than a fifth. The reason being unlike last year the Bills are fine at TE if they do nothing. A third round pick will be a significant contributor if not starter on defense. 

As others said, if I'm the new coach in Cleveland I'm not trading Njoku until I at least  see him in person in training camp and probably well into the season. But it made no sense for new HC McD to trade away Sammy and make the offense worse. Some guys rightly or wrongly just want their type of player and maybe Njoku is just not a good fit in  Cleveland.  

1 hour ago, H2o said:

TE David Njoku

Typically if a team is willing to part with a former 1st round selection for a 5th or 6th round pick in his 3rd year**, it would be a flag - especially with a new coach and OC.

Coaches typically have egos and think they can fix any problems players had under previous guys and turn them around.

I was not thrilled the last time we traded a low pick for a former 1st round receiver out of Cleveland.  He stayed here for <month and we paid $3.5M for that privilege or basically $116,000/day.

** edit: Njoku is on the 4th year of his contract, but because he was on IR most of last season, I *think* Cleveland gets an extra year...trying to find answer.  Anyone know? 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Typically if a team is willing to part with a former 1st round selection for a 5th or 6th round pick in his 3rd year, it would be a flag - especially with a new coach and OC.

Coaches typically have egos and think they can fix any problems players had under previous guys and turn them around.

I was not thrilled the last time we traded a low pick for a former 1st round receiver out of Cleveland.  He stayed here for <month and we paid $3.5M for that privilege or basically $116,000/day.

Or coaches want to clear out those guys to build their own roster. You paint with a pretty broad brush saying they keep projects for ego. Just as quickly they dump guys for ego.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He is worth at least a third round pick but I would not go higher than a fifth. The reason being unlike last year the Bills are fine at TE if they do nothing. A third round pick will be a significant contributor if not starter on defense. 

As others said, if I'm the new coach in Cleveland I'm not trading Njoku until I at least  see him in person in training camp and probably well into the season. But it made no sense for new HC McD to trade away Sammy and make the offense worse. Some guys rightly or wrongly just want their type of player and maybe Njoku is just not a good fit in  Cleveland.  

Watkins was traded before he hit FA because the team was not going to sign him long-term and also to stockpile draft picks.  Njoku isn’t on his last year of his contract (I don’t think) and Browns already have a lot of young talent on the roster.

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Or coaches want to clear out those guys to build their own roster. You paint with a pretty broad brush saying they keep projects for ego. Just as quickly they dump guys for ego.

For sure new coaches come in and dump guys - we shipped Marcell Dareus, a 1st round pick, out the door for a conditional 6th that turned into a 5th.  But at that point he was a very highly paid 7th year vet, whose production and (reputedly) attitude weren't matching his pay.

No question coaches dump guys for ego as well.

It's not the moving of a 1st round pick, it's the combination of the years (going into 3rd year, effectively, because IR after 2 games), the fact that he contributed good production in 2018 (56 catches, 639 yds) and the suggested compensation (5th or 6th). 

What other 1st round players have been traded for a 5th or 6th in their 3rd year? (Edit: I'm not sure if this counts as his 4th or 3rd year due to the length of time he was on IR last year -trying to find answer

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Watkins was traded before he hit FA because the team was not going to sign him long-term and also to stockpile draft picks.  Njoku isn’t on his last year of his contract (I don’t think) and Browns already have a lot of young talent on the roster.

Watkins was traded for a player AND a 2nd round pick.

We're talking about a 5th or 6th here.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Reggie Ragland wasn’t picked all that much later 

I agree it’s unlikely for a 6 but not crazy to see discussion about this

Edited by NoSaint

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Reggie Ragland wasn’t picked all that much later 

I agree it’s unlikely for a 6 but not crazy to see discussion about this

2nd round, but valid point. Ragland missed his rookie season thus had never had a chance to show anything in the NFL, he was a poor scheme fit for McD, and we got a 4th for him.

Now I dunno, maybe there's something that makes Njoku a poor scheme fit for Cleveland's new coaches.  I'm just leary of the Browns scouting chops and their player development.  I think he'd come in with at best, needing to learn how to prepare and practice as if he were a rookie.

In which case, why not just draft a rookie?

As far as the compensation goes I wouldn't give up anything higher than a day 3 pick. A 4th would be as high as I go, but I would package it with one of our 6th Round picks as well if need be. The ESPN writer's take is purely speculation of course and based off of how he thinks Njoku would benefit from a change of scenery. One mentioned OJ Howard as well, which is another guy I would give up the same pick compensation for. 

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed - I was only commenting that one of the reasons that Watkins was traded was to get something for an asset that they would have lost the next year with nothing in return.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

And just like that this turned into Bills screwed up because they traded Sammy thread. Did you see his interviews? He didnt want to be here. 20/20 this was a great trade. At the time to get picks and for the future this was a great trade. When we get this team rebuild complete withing the next 2 years this trade will be one of the trades that built this franchise. I just dont get bashing this trade.

https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/bills-latest-news/sammy-watkins-left-scarred-from-buffalo

Edited by fansince88
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2nd round, but valid point. Ragland missed his rookie season thus had never had a chance to show anything in the NFL, he was a poor scheme fit for McD, and we got a 4th for him.

Now I dunno, maybe there's something that makes Njoku a poor scheme fit for Cleveland's new coaches.  I'm just leary of the Browns scouting chops and their player development.  I think he'd come in with at best, needing to learn how to prepare and practice as if he were a rookie.

In which case, why not just draft a rookie?

A 4th the next year, right? Picks with a delay of a year are devalued by a round in the league's draft pick trade calculus, so he was basically traded for a fifth.