Trade for David Johnson?

5 hours ago, mannc said:

No way we would get a third round pick from AZ in that scenario.  At most, they would agree to swap third-round picks with us.  Might still make sense for that return...

You don't really think AZ would do that deal, do you?

If they want to clear the salary they are going to have too 

On 2/14/2020 at 6:34 PM, NewEra said:

I’d love to land Johnson.  I think he’s a great compliment to singletary.  I just wouldn’t want any part of that salary.  If they cut him, I hope we try and sign him

I agree.  Short deals are always in play for teams with big cap space.  I'll bet 90% of the replies here are from people that have never seen him play, the guy is a weapon and an elite receiving back.  He only has 5 years of work and was a 1st team all pro for Gods sake. 

Two years ago he caught 5 passes and in 2016 he caught 80 and had 1200+ on the ground.

Get a pick or two from the Cards and DJ can do what Shady did for us in his later years but less wear n tear, as the key to this cat is keeping him healthy.

8-10 carries a game 3-5 catches, knows how to block.   

I hope we do it.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we're in great shape with Singletary as our #1 RB. I see no need to trade when guys like Breida and C Hyde are likely to be released. Hyde has power and Brieda has world class speed. There are probably going to be other affordable options in FA as well. Save those draft picks for OL and CB competition

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Arizona is estimated to have $51.5M of free cap space in 2020.  They can pay Drake fair value and Johnson for one more season if they want.  Incidentally, Spotrac estimates Drake’s market value at 4 years, $22M or $5.5M AAV.  That’s nothing for the Cards to take on right now.  They are fine.  The big difference with Houston was that they were in awful cap shape when they made their deal with Cleveland.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/kenyan-drake-19023/market-value/

51.5 minus humphries new deal, and minus rookies?  What are their needs though?  I assume they would like to improve on 5-10-1.

Their best receiver is 37 before the season starts, they have one of the worst defenses in the league, and their best 2 defenders are 30.  If they keep drake at that rate (which i would think is low), you have 2 running backs making a ton of money... and less money to use to actually improve your team.  Trading johnson would save them 8 million in space - which if used right can be another starter or two... or you can use that money on your backup running back. 

34 minutes ago, dneveu said:

51.5 minus humphries new deal, and minus rookies?  What are their needs though?  I assume they would like to improve on 5-10-1.

Their best receiver is 37 before the season starts, they have one of the worst defenses in the league, and their best 2 defenders are 30.  If they keep drake at that rate (which i would think is low), you have 2 running backs making a ton of money... and less money to use to actually improve your team.  Trading johnson would save them 8 million in space - which if used right can be another starter or two... or you can use that money on your backup running back. 

There were two special circumstances that led to the Osweiler trade:

1) Houston needed cap space immediately.  Arizona doesn’t.  They’re unlikely to be able to use all of their space almost no matter what they do.  Even if they go totally nuts this offseason they can easily push out first year cap hits on their deals.

2) Cleveland needed to work around a big issue.  They could not get free agents to come there without massively overpaying.  So it made sense to use some of their ample cap space to buy a draft pick - a pick in the following season due to league rules by the way.  Buffalo isn’t a premier destination, but things aren’t remotely in that ballpark here.

Think about it this way:  The Bills would want to be fairly compensated for eating X dollars of cap space.  Each draft pick has a dollar value equivalent.  Simply put that'd be the market value of an equivalent FA player minus the contract of the rookie (total over 4 seasons).  The Bills would want that to be compensated with whatever pick equated to X dollars - or better.  Why would either team make that trade without some additional incentive?  Neither team here really has that. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

There were two special circumstances that led to the Osweiler trade:

1) Houston needed cap space immediately.  Arizona doesn’t.  They’re unlikely to be able to use all of their space almost no matter what they do.  Even if they go totally nuts this offseason they can easily push out first year cap hits on their deals.

2) Cleveland needed to work around a big issue.  They could not get free agents to come there without massively overpaying.  So it made sense to use some of their ample cap space to buy a draft pick - a pick in the following season due to league rules by the way.  Buffalo isn’t a premier destination, but things aren’t remotely in that ballpark here.

Think about it this way:  The Bills would want to be fairly compensated for eating X dollars of cap space.  Each draft pick has a dollar value equivalent.  Simply put that'd be the market value of an equivalent FA player minus the contract of the rookie (total over 4 seasons).  The Bills would want that to be compensated with whatever pick equated to X dollars - or better.  Why would either team make that trade without some additional incentive?  Neither team here really has that. 

It would only make sense if Arizona signs a couple of big name free agents and are in need of the cap space created by trading him.  Purely hypothetical - if offered would you consider.  I wouldn't seek out this trade in any capacity.

49 minutes ago, dneveu said:

It would only make sense if Arizona signs a couple of big name free agents and are in need of the cap space created by trading him.  Purely hypothetical - if offered would you consider.  I wouldn't seek out this trade in any capacity.

In general, I’d only consider such a deal if we were getting some significant value beyond the draft pick equivalent of the cap hit - especially considering the pick would be a year away.  In this case, it’d depend on the compensation.  We’d be paying Johnson $11.15M to play for us in 2020 or $10.2M not to.  I’d expect the latter.  Cleveland took a second to eat $16M.  That’s a big discount so it is not my ballpark.  I pass unless I get their 2021 first, which won’t happen even with us giving a 2020 third or something like that.  What’s likely to happen is that Arizona eats part of his salary and trades him.