Trade for David Johnson?

I seem to remember some talk about trading for Falcons RB Freeman last year & there is now talk of them letting him go to clear some cap space i guess he hasn't performed as well last year because the Falcons in general weren't that good but he came back from being on IR the year before a change of scenery might do him good !

I don't know a lot about him but could he be a good fit in B/lo & it doesn't look as if he would cost a lot ? Or would the Bills be better off just sticking with who they have in Wade , Motor, & Yeldon ? 

18 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah, this is the kind of deal the OP was talking about.  It isn’t a bad idea at all, but the Cards are fine with cap space (unlike Houston at the time of the BO deal) so they aren't in a bind.  Also we’d have to wait until 2021 for the 3rd.  Cleveland had to wait a season for their 2nd when they got BO and a 6th for a 4th.  Prior to that, the league vetoed a trade where the Browns got a better pick and BO for a lower pick all in the same year. 

The reason they would consider it is because they ideally want to keep drake.  You cant tie up that amount of money in 2 running backs and expect to be successful.  The money saved basically goes right into drakes pocket.  

25 minutes ago, T master said:

I seem to remember some talk about trading for Falcons RB Freeman last year & there is now talk of them letting him go to clear some cap space i guess he hasn't performed as well last year because the Falcons in general weren't that good but he came back from being on IR the year before a change of scenery might do him good !

I don't know a lot about him but could he be a good fit in B/lo & it doesn't look as if he would cost a lot ? Or would the Bills be better off just sticking with who they have in Wade , Motor, & Yeldon ? 

If freeman becomes available he would command a decent contract i would think.  Below Drake/Henry but in the realm of gordon and hyde.  

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The reason they would consider it is because they ideally want to keep drake.  You cant tie up that amount of money in 2 running backs and expect to be successful.  The money saved basically goes right into drakes pocket.  

If freeman becomes available he would command a decent contract i would think.  Below Drake/Henry but in the realm of gordon and hyde.  

Well freeman signed an extension in 2017. Why would he command a big contract?

Ok, I was originally against this trade, but now that I’ve seen what it would be rumored to look like, I am all for it.  

Getting him AND a 3rd round this pick this year for something like a 5th?  Um yeah, all day long.  We easily have the cap room for this, that 3rd round pick could be quite valuable in this draft.  

Now I’m hoping this gets done.  And would be interesting to see what he could do behind a much better OL here than he’s had in AZ.  

Essentially getting a 3rd round pick to take on salary.  Yes please. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ok, I was originally against this trade, but now that I’ve seen what it would be rumored to look like, I am all for it.  

Getting him AND a 3rd round this pick this year for something like a 5th?  Um yeah, all day long.  We easily have the cap room for this, that 3rd round pick could be quite valuable in this draft.  

Now I’m hoping this gets done.  And would be interesting to see what he could do behind a much better OL here than he’s had in AZ.  

Essentially getting a 3rd round pick to take on salary.  Yes please. 

The 3rd rounder is what makes this so interesting. I'm starting to come around to it as well, though we do have several big contracts coming up soon...

5 minutes ago, Rubes said:

The 3rd rounder is what makes this so interesting. I'm starting to come around to it as well, though we do have several big contracts coming up soon...

Yeah, but we got a lot of cap space and his contract would fall off quick enough that it should impact our future contracts coming up.  

Yeah, I’m not into it UNLESS we get that 3rd rounder or better.  But if we do, it’s a big yes from me.  

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 4:18 PM, stuvian said:

draft a newbie with fresh legs at half the cost

half?  More like 90% of the cost.

I think if we are giving up 5-10MIL of the cap for a RB, then the return has to be heavily in our favor.

I think we would have to swap 2nd round picks (moving up 18 spots) and bring a 6th up to a 3rd/4th round pick sounds like reasonable compensation for cap hit.

IF we don't get exactly what we want from this trade, I say don't do it.  Go w/ a rookie.

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, the article came out this morning and made the case to trade for him, but the author was flawed in his rationale.  Many people have speculated on different people to use in free agency, and all were interesting, except this one.  I stand behind my previous comments.  Why would anyone want to spend an exorbitant amt. of $ on a 31 yr. old, often injured RB, past his prime, and very expensive.  Too bad as he was a very dynamic RB a few years ago.

David Johnson is 28 years old, and doesn't turn 29 until December. While I agree that he is past his prime, even last year he was still a pretty good receiving option. I'm completely on board with the trade if we can get an extra 3rd round pick plus a veteran receiving back in DJ to backup Singletary for the cost of some cap space. For those who would rather draft a back, why not do both? What if we used the 3rd rounder acquired in the trade to draft a cost-controlled RB for the next four years?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

David Johnson is 28 years old, and doesn't turn 29 until December. While I agree that he is past his prime, even last year he was still a pretty good receiving option. I'm completely on board with the trade if we can get an extra 3rd round pick plus a veteran receiving back in DJ to backup Singletary for the cost of some cap space. For those who would rather draft a back, why not do both? What if we used the 3rd rounder acquired in the trade to draft a cost-controlled RB for the next four years?

No way we would get a third round pick from AZ in that scenario.  At most, they would agree to swap third-round picks with us.  Might still make sense for that return...

On 2/15/2020 at 5:04 AM, MAJBobby said:

I would take David Johnson’s Salary and a 3rd round pick for one of our 6th’s 

You don't really think AZ would do that deal, do you?

33 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Cardinals will most likely cut Johnson since nobody wants to take on his salary. Johnson would be a good signing at a lower price but if he is cut I am betting he ends up with the Bucs. 

I thought the Cards GM went on the record to say that he would not be cut...I don't think they want to pick up that dead cap figure...

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

Arizona is estimated to have $51.5M of free cap space in 2020.  They can pay Drake fair value and Johnson for one more season if they want.  Incidentally, Spotrac estimates Drake’s market value at 4 years, $22M or $5.5M AAV.  That’s nothing for the Cards to take on right now.  They are fine.  The big difference with Houston was that they were in awful cap shape when they made their deal with Cleveland.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/kenyan-drake-19023/market-value/

Edited by BarleyNY

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Because it’s a waste of resources when you already have one very good back with a cost controlled contract the next 3 years AND David Johnson.  I’d rather draft an offensive or defensive lineman 

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Because it’s a waste of resources when you already have one very good back with a cost controlled contract the next 3 years AND David Johnson.  I’d rather draft an offensive or defensive lineman 

I was really aiming that response to those who are advocating for drafting a back. It's not necessarily what I would do. In fact, if we did receive a 3rd rounder (the likelihood of it being a 3rd is rightly up for debate), I'd be an advocate for using that pick on a different position. I wouldn't feel the need to draft an RB at all if we had Singletary and David Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Man, he looked slow last year.  And that was playing with a mobile quarterback who opens up run lanes.  Life of a running back in the nfl sucks.  They need to get every cent when they can because they age fast. 

Yeah, it’s really sad.  It’s a glorious position in HS and College.....than once you get to the NFL you realize you should’ve played DB or LB