Trade for David Johnson?

I was going to say that Gregg Rosenthal (note the two G’s) of NFL.com had him on a list of possible cuts, but now he’s updated with a note from the Cardinals GM that “cutting him is not an option”.  Apparently it’s one of those contracts where cutting him creates a bigger cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1

I loved Johnson a few years ago.  A long story, but my middle son loves the Bills and Bucs, but he fell in love with the Cardinals when he was 7 when they went to the SB here in Tampa.  My point is I’ve seen so many of his games and he was great, but not anymore.  He’s hurt too often, getting older, does not have the explosion he once had is a bad mistake.  If they was five years ago then yes, but not now.

Im still on the AJ Dillon kick from BC.  He will be perfect for us at the right pick.  Motor stays healthy, Dillon pounds the tough yards, and someone on that thread mentioned we could probably drop DiMarco, as he could serve as a FB in some packages and RB in others.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, dneveu said:

Any interest in taking on the last 2 years of DJ's contract in a Brock Osweiler type of play?  Not sure what it would take but maybe like DJ and a pickswap in the 2nd or 3rd or something.  Would be an overpay, and a highly paid RB in general, but they get to clear all his base salary off the books, and RB2 is taken care of. 

Contract remaining would be basically 1 year 11 million, or 2 years 20 million (only guaranteed 2 mil for injury in 2021).  Lot for a running back... but he's also a better more versatile back than gore.  I'd only do it if the trade was also upgrading my draft selection this year.  

I would take David Johnson’s Salary and a 3rd round pick for one of our 6th’s 

• Like (+1) 3

I wouldn't trade for him.

A lot of these available guys are done. Inconvenient truth perhaps.

Johnson, Olsen, Norman can give you a couple good games in the first month of the season, but that's going to be about it. 

There is no reason to invest any major resources or assets into acquiring RBs in this league. They shouldnt be picked before the 3rd round, they shouldnt be traded for, and they shouldnt be given high-priced contracts. It is an important position, but you can find guys who can tote the rock just fine even in UDFAs.

19 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

David Johnson would be another guy that would fit in the category of being on the verge of washed up but would be a great depth add to a young and up coming team

The bills are in a unique situation where they have a ton a cap space and can really load up on aging vets as depth players to make a run

Just because there is cap space it does not need to be used.  If it was use it or lose it, then I might agree.  Since it can be rolled  into the future, there are better used than an aging RB. 

On 2/15/2020 at 8:04 AM, MAJBobby said:

I would take David Johnson’s Salary and a 3rd round pick for one of our 6th’s 

Yeah, this is the kind of deal the OP was talking about.  It isn’t a bad idea at all, but the Cards are fine with cap space (unlike Houston at the time of the BO deal) so they aren't in a bind.  Also we’d have to wait until 2021 for the 3rd.  Cleveland had to wait a season for their 2nd when they got BO and a 6th for a 4th.  Prior to that, the league vetoed a trade where the Browns got a better pick and BO for a lower pick all in the same year. 

7 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Just because there is cap space it does not need to be used.  If it was use it or lose it, then I might agree.  Since it can be rolled  into the future, there are better used than an aging RB. 

Right now today it is use it or lose it. That is until a new cba is signed that includes roll over

We will need another rb so some of that cap will go towards that

Well, the article came out this morning and made the case to trade for him, but the author was flawed in his rationale.  Many people have speculated on different people to use in free agency, and all were interesting, except this one.  I stand behind my previous comments.  Why would anyone want to spend an exorbitant amt. of $ on a 31 yr. old, often injured RB, past his prime, and very expensive.  Too bad as he was a very dynamic RB a few years ago.